• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky
1 1

139 posts in this topic

The 1980's were built on everything that the 1970's was setting up. Overstreet becoming "the guide", higher grading awareness, mail order, comic shops, comic cons, etc.

By the 1980's we were into the Reagan era and comics were starting to reflect a more established tone as a business. The Indy publishers, direct sales, all lead to an explosion of comic shops in many areas.

Being young at that time meant hanging out in comic shops or record stores (which still sold vinyl but CDs and cassettes were more the norm).

I think the Internet is the one thing that made comic collecting "easier" but I think it also one of the reasons the industry lost a lot of its organic culture that used to be a part of it.

I have mixed feelings about the world I live in now with its well oiled collecting machine available to all and the mainstream acceptance of my hobby were superheroes dominate pop culture in games, movies, TV, etc. (it's trendy to be a geek?).

I grew up strictly 80's punk era and my parents were of the counter culture.

There's something incredibly cool about being in your private underground club that comic collecting once was before all the suits arrived. :P

I WAS the counter culture. The kind parents warned you about. I really do miss "used book stores"... I did go to punk shows (Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Germs ect) but by then, I was paying a morgage and had a real job.

Did you ever think you could buy comics on your phone?

Bob,you're going to have to tell me some LA punk tales...

...like the time he burned all of those cop cars that are pictured on The DK's Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables cover.

I knew it...after hanging out at Okie Dog

Here's a pic of Bob skating at a Jodie Foster's Army show...

dsc5081.jpg

Looks like So Cal. That weird palm tree and those guys are a dead giveaway.

The 1980's were built on everything that the 1970's was setting up. Overstreet becoming "the guide", higher grading awareness, mail order, comic shops, comic cons, etc.

By the 1980's we were into the Reagan era and comics were starting to reflect a more established tone as a business. The Indy publishers, direct sales, all lead to an explosion of comic shops in many areas.

Being young at that time meant hanging out in comic shops or record stores (which still sold vinyl but CDs and cassettes were more the norm).

I think the Internet is the one thing that made comic collecting "easier" but I think it also one of the reasons the industry lost a lot of its organic culture that used to be a part of it.

I have mixed feelings about the world I live in now with its well oiled collecting machine available to all and the mainstream acceptance of my hobby were superheroes dominate pop culture in games, movies, TV, etc. (it's trendy to be a geek?).

I grew up strictly 80's punk era and my parents were of the counter culture.

There's something incredibly cool about being in your private underground club that comic collecting once was before all the suits arrived. :P

I WAS the counter culture. The kind parents warned you about. I really do miss "used book stores"... I did go to punk shows (Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Germs ect) but by then, I was paying a morgage and had a real job.

Did you ever think you could buy comics on your phone?

Bob,you're going to have to tell me some LA punk tales...

...like the time he burned all of those cop cars that are pictured on The DK's Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables cover.

I knew it...after hanging out at Okie Dog

Here's a pic of Bob skating at a Jodie Foster's Army show...

dsc5081.jpg

Looks like So Cal. That weird palm tree and those guys are a dead giveaway.

I think it might be Phoenix. JFA is from there. I know they played a ton of West Coast shows though, and the photo looked good.

Someday we will have to compare notes on shows.

Yeah AZ would be a good guess. Sure would like to be there in the warm sun instead of cold and rainy LA today.

I remember you telling me about ZZ Top living in your neighborhood and you as a kid got to go see them play in a garage. Doesn't one of them frequent one of your shops?

Hope to see you at WonderCon.

Most memorable shows? Frank Zappa, Iron Butterfly, and Zeppelin's first tour. (We didn't know who they were.

Was Zeppelin memorable at the time because they blew you away and played forever, or was it memorable in retrospect because it was the first tour?

Two words Jimmy Page. I practically tossed my guitar away after that show. None of us had ever heard of them. Just a new band from England. From the first bar of "Communication Breakdown" they just left it all on the stage. I worked two nights. First night I was directly in front of them doing lights. Best show though was '74 I think at the Forum in LA. I believe they did a film about it and the Long Beach arena show called "The West is the Best". The point was the west coast was their last US shows and they spent touring the country and by the time they got here they were at the top of their game.

Two words Jimmy Page. I practically tossed my guitar away after that show. None of us had ever heard of them. Just a new band from England. From the first bar of "Communication Breakdown" they just left it all on the stage. I worked two nights. First night I was directly in front of them doing lights. Best show though was '74 I think at the Forum in LA. I believe they did a film about it and the Long Beach arena show called "The West is the Best". The point was the west coast was their last US shows and they spent touring the country and by the time they got here they were at the top of their game.

(thumbs u

Saw them in Kezar Stadium in 71" ish (shrug) still at top of there game, still hungry, was bad azz

I remember you telling me about ZZ Top living in your neighborhood and you as a kid got to go see them play in a garage. Doesn't one of them frequent one of your shops?

Hope to see you at WonderCon.

Frequent is a strong word, but Dusty Hill has been in the Clear Lake store to buy t-shirts and stuff on occasion. He was driving a big, bright yellow Hummer but I have seen him out there in a couple of years.

We will definitely be back to WonderCon again this year - in Anaheim!

I've worn out several "Song Remains The Same" DVDs......... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Pick up "The West is the Best" I was there. Just epic. Zep at their prime nuff said

(thumbs u

Just found this in a old box.

I don't remember ordering it.

It has 19 pages.

Samuel%20Frazier%20Comic%20Cat.%201977-78_zpsjnladpg0.jpg

I love it :luhv:

Those prices seem like such a deal now but were big money back then.

....yeah, a new employee at the Shipyard was maybe bringing in 150 a week..... 60 for a comic was a stretch.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just found this in a old box.

I don't remember ordering it.

It has 19 pages.

Samuel%20Frazier%20Comic%20Cat.%201977-78_zpsjnladpg0.jpg

I love it :luhv:

Those prices seem like such a deal now but were big money back then.

I think an Aces High 1 in gd+ is still going to sell for around $9.50