• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

I think we're counting the $1.99s as part of the set - there are four different ones, so I think so. I think the newsstands are more common than the price variant. I don't know where the markets were - my Jamestown guess is because I seem to find a lot of them from there but I don't know. I do believe the $2.29s are much harder to find than the $2.49s.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:29 PM, PeterPark said:

I'm in CT so I'm always looking in this area. I have found a few of the $1.99 newsstands but, in my experience, most here are the $2.49 variety.

I have no $2.29 copies in my collection and have seen 0 for sale in this area.

I have found some in Connecticut. My MIL is in New Haven and my brother-in-law and nieces live in Waterbury. No $2.29s at any stores there but several $2.49s.

Just now, paqart said:

I just found my first ASM $2.29 variant but it's too pricy for me. Maybe someone else here wants a CGC 9.8 $2.29 Spider-Man? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-11-CGC-9-8-1999-3763353009/363324608460?hash=item5497d58fcc:g:Hd4AAOSw8yJgUNHC

:eek:

It is interesting to see, however, that CGC does not list this as a price variant. Seeing as GPA on that book is about $50, they must be marketing it that way.

Image 1 - Amazing-Spider-Man-11-CGC-9-8-1999-3763353009

Edited by FlyingDonut

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

no - mycomicshop has three for sale on eBay. This is one of them. Keeping the images for posterity as they are not indicated as variants.

That's cool, was just curious if mine graded out thepat high lol

But ya the ones with out the notation still sell well, imo or I think, right?

Still a nice pickup!

7 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

no - mycomicshop has three for sale on eBay. This is one of them. Keeping the images for posterity as they are not indicated as variants.

It's an easy subset to miss.

Some owners wouldn't know what they had, and not note the submission form, and some CGC staff haven't got this pinned up on their noticeboard: 

1228161051_Summary2.6.thumb.PNG.13e6434cd6ea73ded0116e58bca64715.PNG

I don't know how their system works, but once a variant is discovered I would engineer the internal CGC process to flag that up at some point in the data entry process to prompt the consideration before the book is encapsulated - a "This book has variants" flag might cut down on some of the missed distinctions. Maybe that is part of the process though, and human error overrides it.

You see the same thing with slabbed second printings. Sometimes the omissions are costly for the seller, but that's life isn't it. Knowledge is power....

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's an easy subset to miss.

Some owners wouldn't know what they had, and not note the submission form, and some CGC staff haven't got this pinned up on their noticeboard: 

1228161051_Summary2.6.thumb.PNG.13e6434cd6ea73ded0116e58bca64715.PNG

I don't know how their system works, but once a variant is discovered I would engineer the internal CGC process to flag that up at some point in the data entry process to prompt the consideration before the book is encapsulated - a "This book has variants" flag might cut down on some of the missed distinctions. Maybe that is part of the process though, and human error overrides it.

You see the same thing with slabbed second printings. Sometimes the omissions are costly for the seller, but that's life isn't it. Knowledge is power....

I sent two ASM $2.49 variants to CGC a few weeks ago. I intended to send all three but forgot to click "add to cart" on one of them and didn't notice until I'd already paid the invoice. I listed all of them as $2.49 price variants. We'll see if that information gets on the label.

5 minutes ago, paqart said:

I sent two ASM $2.49 variants to CGC a few weeks ago. I intended to send all three but forgot to click "add to cart" on one of them and didn't notice until I'd already paid the invoice. I listed all of them as $2.49 price variants. We'll see if that information gets on the label.

:wishluck:

1 hour ago, paqart said:

You should call them and request it. 

19 minutes ago, mr_highgrade said:

You should call them and request it. 

I just called. They acknowledged receipt of my packages but said they weren't in the system yet. I was asked to send a link to this thread after I get a confirmation number next week.

1 hour ago, paqart said:

I just called. They acknowledged receipt of my packages but said they weren't in the system yet. I was asked to send a link to this thread after I get a confirmation number next week.

If they want that purely to evidence what exists Paqart, send them this summary instead:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/4922-marvel-1999-~-2000-us-newsstand-price-variants/

On 3/17/2021 at 11:46 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

If they want that purely to evidence what exists Paqart, send them this summary instead:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/4922-marvel-1999-~-2000-us-newsstand-price-variants/

Will do once they acknowledge receipt of the comics. I just put together another box to go out today. It contains all the rest of my 99/00 price variants. Some of them aren't worth much (for now) but they were so hard to find that I'm getting all of them graded. In total, I am sending out 8 of these. I'm not sending the $1.99 Thor #19's, though I am curious about their rarity. I haven't seen any Thor $2.49 or $2.29 variants yet, thus making the $1.99 version the most common from my point of view, even if it is also difficult to find.