• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

BTW: I'm curious to know whether creating these price variants had the effect of reducing the normal $1.99 run as well. Has anyone seen any indication this may have happened? In my search for these variants, I have found the regular newsstand versions of the Thor, Hulk, and Fantastic Fours almost as hard to find as the variants.

1 hour ago, paqart said:

BTW: I'm curious to know whether creating these price variants had the effect of reducing the normal $1.99 run as well. Has anyone seen any indication this may have happened? In my search for these variants, I have found the regular newsstand versions of the Thor, Hulk, and Fantastic Fours almost as hard to find as the variants.

Any newsstand from this time period is pretty tough. Without knowing the reasoning behind the different editions, it is hard to speculate. They could be additional if they were part of a prepack or something but given they seem more regional than that, it is likely the limited newsstand run was split. 2c

On 6/17/2023 at 2:12 AM, JonnyT2008 said:

I believe the Cable 74 $2.29 was not found until now.  They are currently in CGC's possession.  I will post pictures once I receive them.

Cor! :applause:

Hurry up with the pictures, Jonny. My rule is that it doesn't exist until I've seen it! :grin:

Well done on the find, which the pattern has always indicated should exist - I'll update the chart / journal summary page when we see the book.

A $2.29 Cable #74 completes the Dec-99 cover date block:

Captureb.PNG.b5b25f6280fb8faed46af931dae04e78.PNG

Jan-00 is also complete - a 2 month solid block - so it raises the possibility that the 'missing' Nov / Oct Cable books may also one day appear. Keep looking!

On 6/22/2023 at 8:29 PM, JonnyT2008 said:

Here it is! And a 9.8!!!

Hide contents

•  

Spoiler

CDCA7ED6-6E82-424C-B601-FB78F3C47671.jpeg

@Get Marwood & I I put it in spoiler as you intended @JonnyT2008 thanks for the post!

Here we go:

2.7.thumb.PNG.369528e917c91fd0ef9bc9af09960e51.PNG

Two more Cables and we're at six issues per title. It's taken nearly three years for Cable #74 to show as a $2.29, so it's possible....

I'll update the journal when I get home tonight :)

I've added an update to the journal summary page showing @JonnyT2008's find here:

Keep looking Jonny - and you @FlyingDonut - only two more to find now. Probably!

On 3/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Updating as I believe I have completed the $2.49 set.:banana:

No one has ever seen a $2.49 Cable 72 so until we do, I'm going to go with it doesn't exist. That's the one from the original chart that I do not have - but it may be a ghost book. Who knows. I will keep looking!

I need the following to complete the $2.29 set and will happily trade for them:

Amazing Spider-Man 10
Cable 73 (not confirmed, may not exist)
Cable 74 (not confirmed, may not exist)
Fantastic Four 23
Fantastic Four 24
Thor 19
X-Men 93

I have the following books to trade for anything above - or if people need them to fill out a set!

$2,29
Thor 18
X-Men 96 (3 copies available)

$2.49
Amazing Spider-Man 10 (2 copies)
Amazing Spider-Man 11 (4)
Amazing Spider-Man 13 (6)
Cable 73 (2)
Cable 74 (2)
Fantastic Four 23 (5)
Fantastic Four 26
Incredible Hulk 8 (6)
Thor 17
Thor 18 (3)
X-Men 93 (3)
X-Men 94
X-Men 96

Anecdotally I believe at least one of the test markets was Hartford, CT or Jamestown, NY (maybe both) as most of my copies came from that area. Also the $2.49s are much more prevalent than the $2.29s but they're still very hard to find.

I wish my dupes weren't the same as your dupes. As it is, nothing to trade. I feel lucky to find even one of these, but in ASM, I have a couple of doubles.

ASM price variants No label.jpg

CGC 009.jpg

CGC 008.jpg

CGC 006.jpg

ASM 13 2-29 variant.jpg

On 3/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Updating as I believe I have completed the $2.49 set.:banana:

No one has ever seen a $2.49 Cable 72 so until we do, I'm going to go with it doesn't exist. That's the one from the original chart that I do not have - but it may be a ghost book. Who knows. I will keep looking!

I need the following to complete the $2.29 set and will happily trade for them:

Amazing Spider-Man 10
Cable 73 (not confirmed, may not exist)
Cable 74 (not confirmed, may not exist)
Fantastic Four 23
Fantastic Four 24
Thor 19
X-Men 93

I have the following books to trade for anything above - or if people need them to fill out a set!

$2,29
Thor 18
X-Men 96 (3 copies available)

$2.49
Amazing Spider-Man 10 (2 copies)
Amazing Spider-Man 11 (4)
Amazing Spider-Man 13 (6)
Cable 73 (2)
Cable 74 (2)
Fantastic Four 23 (5)
Fantastic Four 26
Incredible Hulk 8 (6)
Thor 17
Thor 18 (3)
X-Men 93 (3)
X-Men 94
X-Men 96

Anecdotally I believe at least one of the test markets was Hartford, CT or Jamestown, NY (maybe both) as most of my copies came from that area. Also the $2.49s are much more prevalent than the $2.29s but they're still very hard to find.

Looks like I have the $2,29 FF 24 in a CGC 9.0, but it's the only one I have.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:12 PM, JonnyT2008 said:

Hi All,

Reviving this thread.  I typically don't comment on the boards but these books have peaked my interest because I was buying them off the shelves during this period.  My contribution is the following:

image.png.8500c52b9c780f7c7fcb86d23a07ab37.png

I believe the Cable 74 $2.29 was not found until now.  They are currently in CGC's possession.  I will post pictures once I receive them. In my searches for these books, it has been very difficult to find any $2.29 editions in general.  The only time I find them is when buying off Ebay and they have always been in the mid-west.  These Cable books were bought off Ebay in a lot from Kansas.  The Cable #73 from the lot was a direct edition.  I lived in PA and currently am in ME and have found some $2.49 editions in local shops so it seems to me the $2.49 editions were distributed to the east coast from what I can tell.

Outstanding news! Well done. I think you're correct on the $2.49s, as I have found many in stores in Connecticut.

*runs to eBay, expands search to Kansas*

On 6/24/2023 at 8:39 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Outstanding news! Well done. I think you're correct on the $2.49s, as I have found many in stores in Connecticut.

*runs to eBay, expands search to Kansas*

As have I...living in CT, all the newsstand variants I have found in the wild have been $2.49.