• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

It's not just the auction houses...a lot of dealers have suddenly "run out" of Kirby art to sell.

Even nostalgicinvestments who have made one update (1!) to their site in the past 2 years have all of a sudden pulled all of the Kirby art they still had for sale, heck they even removed the name "Kirby" from the artist index.

Maybe the Kirby heirs should purchase the http://www.kirbyart.com/ domain as it's currently for sale hm

Burkey put his Kirby art back up though ...

It's not just the auction houses...a lot of dealers have suddenly "run out" of Kirby art to sell.

Even nostalgicinvestments who have made one update (1!) to their site in the past 2 years have all of a sudden pulled all of the Kirby art they still had for sale, heck they even removed the name "Kirby" from the artist index.

Maybe the Kirby heirs should purchase the http://www.kirbyart.com/ domain as it's currently for sale hm

Burkey put his Kirby art back up though ...

NVM take that back.. looks like he took it down again.. most of it at least

it's been just over 2 years since the Kirby family got some Disney money.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/jack-kirby-marvel-settlement-lawsuit-supreme-court-hearing-841711/

it's a shame. legally I don't think they deserved it but ethically of course they deserved a lot.

but now they have a huge war chest they're hassling art owners?

it's been just over 2 years since the Kirby family got some Disney money.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/jack-kirby-marvel-settlement-lawsuit-supreme-court-hearing-841711/

it's a shame. legally I don't think they deserved it but ethically of course they deserved a lot.

but now they have a huge war chest they're hassling art owners?

Don't think dealers or art owners have anything to worry about. They only went after 2 auction houses. And they are asking 10% of the commissions made. I don't imagine it will go beyond the 2 auction houses. Like Mitch said - he ain't worried and neither should any owner.

I am curious of the motivation - does the family feel that folk that bought art that was returned to Jack should be 'harassed'? Are they only going after 'stolen' art? Or is it lawyers or just no clear communication?

I am curious of the motivation - does the family feel that folk that bought art that was returned to Jack should be 'harassed'? Are they only going after 'stolen' art? Or is it lawyers or just no clear communication?

Well the discussion above was that it was all art , even inkers shares (pieces that never belonged to jack in the first place). The lawyers here can comment better than I but it seems like a case of you don't get what you don't ask for, so you ask for a piece of everything (even pieces that jack had no right to) and see if the auction houses fold, because it might be easier for the house to just make you go away. For clink if it's true that they paid, I'm sure that would have factored into their thinking. For heritage; not only do they sell more Kirby but they deal with way more art (not just comic art) in general and many more estates and presumably have much more to lose by acquiescing, so they haven't. They no doubt don't want other families getting any ideas .

The Kirby family are just a bunch of greedy bastards. Since none of them had a hand in producing any of the artwork they are going after.

It sure comes off that way. In their minds I'm sure jack not getting his art back was the greatest art heist ever committed and the world was out to screw dad and variations on that theme are all they've heard all their life. In their mind I bet if jack breathed on it, it belongs to them in whole or in part, even if it never belonged to jack and has since been resold ten times. Money has a funny way of changing people's ideas about what is wrong and what is right.

I sure hope that this gets resolved some way and that more official communication comes out because it has a rank smell of it the way it leaking out currently. I'd hate to see the end result of this being that his family members get a few bucks and Jack's name gets tarnished for their efforts.

Thanks for this, Moondog. Do you know if the Marvel page was '60s or '70s? I ask because I believe all Jack's '70s pages were returned. The only remotely plausible claim I can see on any of this (***not a lawyer***) would have to do with silver age pages not returned by Marvel.

Here's a copy of the email from Todd Hignite to my friend who sold 2 Kirby pieces in the last auction. Rumors regarding this action have been floating around for awhile but it appears they're gaining some traction. He sold one Marvel page and one DC page.

I hope this finds you well—and I hope you were satisfied with your results in our November auction. We’ve recently been approached by the Kirby family as they are actively investigating the provenance for all Jack Kirby artwork being currently offered on the market. So we need to investigate in as much detail as possible all artwork by Kirby we sold in our November Signature sale, including your lots. Would you happen to remember the sales history on the two pages (any receipts/invoices would be great as well)?

Thanks a lot,

My best,

Todd

Todd Hignite | Vice President

HERITAGE AUCTIONS

Thanks. Robert Beerbohm tells a story about buying pages out of Kirby's trunk in the '70s. He got 200 pages for 20 bucks a page, which was a 50% volume discount.

As to the '68 page, here's the list of pages returned to Jack by Marvel in the '80s.

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2011/04/marvel-worldwide-inc-et-al-v-kirby-et_04.html

In some cases a whole book is missing, so possibly any page from that book that turns up can be considered Kirby family property. Possibly. Other books are problematic because the number of pages returned to Kirby is given, but not which pages specifically.