• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

I'm disappointed to hear that Heritage is shaking down its clients and customers. It's hard to imagine how concerns over this corporate practice would not influence the decision of potential clients/customers in any potential future business.

I think your claim that Heritage is "shaking down" its clients and customers is a bit unfair. You're inferring that they are somehow in cahoots with the Kirby family. I think it's clear that the last thing an auction house would want is to have a major segment of a market closed off to them or limit it in any way. This is relatively new ground being covered here and they appear to be taking a prudent approach of working with the family and their clients and waiting to see how things turn out.

Maybe it will pattern into the new norm. With the way society is generally heading I would bot be surprised, even if I think it is unjust and can't see it gaining any serious traction in the long term.

My Lord, has anyone checked out the new additions lately? The amount of GA and SA DC art is staggering.

There is literally a great example of SA DC from just about every title (although I didn't see anything from Doom Patrol yet). I wonder if some BSD who had a great example from almost every series is cashing out.

Would love to hear if anyone remembers seeing such a volume of quality GA art being in one auction in maybe the last 10+ years? (I really have no idea)

Definitely the most GA OA ever offered. This one is stacking up to be a huge amount of OA. It is pretty amazing

My Lord, has anyone checked out the new additions lately? The amount of GA and SA DC art is staggering.

There is literally a great example of SA DC from just about every title (although I didn't see anything from Doom Patrol yet). I wonder if some BSD who had a great example from almost every series is cashing out.

Would love to hear if anyone remembers seeing such a volume of quality GA art being in one auction in maybe the last 10+ years? (I really have no idea)

Haven't looked, and don't know if this is all from the same collection, but sadly, a long-time collector passed recently. He had collected comic art for at least 40 years, maybe even 50. The Wrightson SWAMP THING cover was his, and IIRC, he purchased it in the early '70s, around the time of the book's release.

As I understand it, his family will be dispersing the collection via HA. Wouldn't surprise me at all if many of these pieces were his.

Sadly, longtime collector Ethan Roberts died at the very early age of 70. Most of the new items in Heritage, including both Flash Gordons,, come from his collection. He always said he would die with his collection...and he did. He lived very frugally. He was a good man and a very passionate lover of comic and strip art.

The 1936 Flash is notable because it contains the most egregious drawing mistake that Alex Raymond ever drew. In the bottom left panel, Zarkov's right leg is completely detached from his body. Yes, the page was printed that way...no paste-ups, no art editor corrections. Raymond was just too lazy to correct it. I was offered it many times and passed. My eye kept going to that mistake. I am very curious to see if the aesthetic sensibility of the newer generations of collectors will be bothered by this. I imagine it will go to a european collector for a substantial price. Most of the great Flash pages are in europe.

RIP ETHAN.

DocDave

Not to derail but Ethan used to talk about going to the first comic/comic art convention back in 1964 in NYC, the one convention Steve Ditko ever attended. Did anyone ever interview him and document/preserve his stories and recollections? I thought that tale would have been fascinating. I know someone was working on it at one point but I never heard any follow up.

The 1936 Flash is notable because it contains the most egregious drawing mistake that Alex Raymond ever drew. In the bottom left panel, Zarkov's right leg is completely detached from his body. Yes, the page was printed that way...no paste-ups, no art editor corrections. Raymond was just too lazy to correct it. I was offered it many times and passed. My eye kept going to that mistake. I am very curious to see if the aesthetic sensibility of the newer generations of collectors will be bothered by this. I imagine it will go to a european collector for a substantial price. Most of the great Flash pages are in europe.

Considering the piece comes from Raymond's absolute peak period, it will have zero impact on the demand for this piece.

Considering the piece comes from Raymond's absolute peak period, it will have zero impact on the demand for this piece.

Is this the piece being discussed?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alex-raymond-flash-gordon-sunday-comic-strip-original-art-dated-11-12-39-king-features-synd/p/7158-92008.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alex-raymond-flash-gordon-sunday-comic-strip-original-art-dated-11-12-39-king-features-synd/p/7158-92008.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

If that's the worst mistake he ever made then I don't really see the problem. Literally.

If that's the worst mistake he ever made then I don't really see the problem. Literally.

Must be a different one as that looks to be 1939

Thanks I could not find this piece. HA's search sort of sucks until the auction is fully loaded. I have items on track that do not appear in my list for some reason, eager beaver syndrome, I suppose.

I too was thinking it was the 1939 piece and people were being harsh. You can kind of stare at the bottom left panel in the 1939 piece and see the right thigh maybe doesn't quite turn right.

But this 1936 piece, wow, that is crazy.

Edited by cstojano

Yup, this is the one.

I'd be too busy looking at Raymond's sumptuous brushwork to care about a misplaced leg.

But hey, maybe the big collectors will be equally irritated by it and I'll finally be able to win a Flash Gordon from Raymond's peak period.

I'm not holding my breath.