• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

The Strange Tales 115 splash is definitely 12 x 18. I'm sure Heritage will correct it before the auction.

Yeah, but what are peoples estimates? I am guessing between $20k and $200k.

I'd say closer to 20 than 200. It is Ayers, after all. I'd guess 50-60k at most.

My Lord, has anyone checked out the new additions lately? The amount of GA and SA DC art is staggering.

There is literally a great example of SA DC from just about every title (although I didn't see anything from Doom Patrol yet). I wonder if some BSD who had a great example from almost every series is cashing out.

Would love to hear if anyone remembers seeing such a volume of quality GA art being in one auction in maybe the last 10+ years? (I really have no idea)

Ethan lived local to me and he was the VERY first person I ever met back in 1989-90 when I went to a local comic con looking for original artwork in Cleveland after I got into the hobby...I still remember sitting near him before the show opened, and we each had an art portfolio and he walked up to me and asked if I had any art....and I showed him my Steve Ditko ASM annual 2 pinup with the ringmasters of crime I had picked up recently...and we became good friends from that time onward, and we drove together as well as met at many comic shows over the past 28 years.

Ethan was a wealth of information......and he could look at just about ANY comic page from the 1930's onward and instantly tell you who drew it.

Ethan was the oldest remaining of the ORIGINAL gang in Cleveland where we would all meet at each others houses in the early to mid 1990's looking at comic art from each other's collections and talk all about comic and strip art over chips and drink and I was always selling and trading art with everyone there!

Ethan, Bill Thailing, Sam George..Andy Bradish, Julius Dratwa..Gary Dumm, myself. and Jim Damico all hosted these parties and it truly was a super fun time back before the Internet was prominent.

.....other guys started coming..... like Dave Morris...... and I STILL remember Ed Hodder in the middle 90's showing off his X-Men #94 cover...... I still remember him telling us he got offered 15k for the cover and we all screamed at him...SELL SELL SELL!!!! And he sold it (not at our gatherings) because that price sounded astounding at the time. MY HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!! lol

The very last time we had one of these shows was at my home......around 2000 where I first met Bill Cox, and I think Mark Tomlinson even came in from Pittsburgh... and a few guys from the Detroit area came because guys heard about it from a con in Cleveland

We had 25-30 people that last time at my place, which was our biggest get together for sure.....I had heard that Walt Simonson was supposed to come (from the con) but something family related happened and he didn't make it.

Again...fun fun times back then for sure....great memories which I will always cherish!

Mike

Edited by romitaman

The Strange Tales 115 splash is definitely 12 x 18. I'm sure Heritage will correct it before the auction.

Way to go out on a limb. :baiting:

My Lord, has anyone checked out the new additions lately? The amount of GA and SA DC art is staggering.

There is literally a great example of SA DC from just about every title (although I didn't see anything from Doom Patrol yet). I wonder if some BSD who had a great example from almost every series is cashing out.

Would love to hear if anyone remembers seeing such a volume of quality GA art being in one auction in maybe the last 10+ years? (I really have no idea)

Ethan lived local to me and he was the VERY first person I ever met back in 1989-90 when I went to a local comic con looking for original artwork in Cleveland after I got into the hobby...I still remember sitting near him before the show opened, and we each had an art portfolio and he walked up to me and asked if I had any art....and I showed him my Steve Ditko ASM annual 2 pinup with the ringmasters of crime I had picked up recently...and we became good friends from that time onward, and we drove together as well as met at many comic shows over the past 28 years.

Ethan was a wealth of information......and he could look at just about ANY comic page from the 1930's onward and instantly tell you who drew it.

Ethan was the oldest remaining of the ORIGINAL gang in Cleveland where we would all meet at each others houses in the early to mid 1990's looking at comic art from each other's collections and talk all about comic and strip art over chips and drink and I was always selling and trading art with everyone there!

Ethan, Bill Thailing, Sam George..Andy Bradish, Julius Dratwa..Gary Dumm, myself. and Jim Damico all hosted these parties and it truly was a super fun time back before the Internet was prominent.

.....other guys started coming..... like Dave Morris...... and I STILL remember Ed Hodder in the middle 90's showing off his X-Men #94 cover...... I still remember him telling us he got offered 15k for the cover and we all screamed at him...SELL SELL SELL!!!! And he sold it (not at our gatherings) because that price sounded astounding at the time. MY HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!! lol

The very last time we had one of these shows was at my home......around 2000 where I first met Bill Cox, and I think Mark Tomlinson even came in from Pittsburgh... and a few guys from the Detroit area came because guys heard about it from a con in Cleveland

We had 25-30 people that last time at my place, which was our biggest get together for sure.....I had heard that Walt Simonson was supposed to come (from the con) but something family related happened and he didn't make it.

Again...fun fun times back then for sure....great memories which I will always cherish!

Mike

Great memories. It's great that you knew Ethan.

This is the one and I have to say that would bother me if I was bidding, but I'm not. We shall see. I suspect it will do just fine

Could be worse, like a McFarlane Spidey with a head like an anvil on a 165 body that has size 18 feet.

I can't imagine anyone who grew up collecting during the Rob Liefeld era could get too worked up over this kind of thing.

So true.

Or anyone who thinks the cover of Batman #251 is a classic. Where is that left leg attached?

Way to go out on a limb. :baiting:

Well, you can say that it's a safe bet that he nailed it!

Seriously, the splash to ST #103 sold a while ago in the 30's. Considering that the #103 is Kirby and the #115 is Ayers, I imagine the #115 should go at the very lowest end of your (very wide) range.

It is quite pretty, though, so who knows?

Anyone know what's going on in the second image for the ST 115 splash? It shows a stain on Ole Hot Head's chest, but this is not seen in the other two images. It's also missing Ayers signature. That chest area also appears to be taped on in the second image, and does not appear in the first or 3rd picture. Super confused. If I had to guess, I'm thinking $11,000

Traded artwork with Ethan during the mid-1990s. Pre-internet days for me and negotiating involved weeks and weeks of snail-mail exchanges between the UK and the USA.

Still have a checklist of Ethan's collection he sent me. A large and impressive selection!

This is the one and I have to say that would bother me if I was bidding, but I'm not. We shall see. I suspect it will do just fine

Could be worse, like a McFarlane Spidey with a head like an anvil on a 165 body that has size 18 feet.

I can't imagine anyone who grew up collecting during the Rob Liefeld era could get too worked up over this kind of thing.

So true.

Or anyone who thinks the cover of Batman #251 is a classic. Where is that left leg attached?

A "Classic" is defined by how something is remembered, not necessarily the technical aspects of its original execution.

A lotta nice Bronze and early Copper Marvel & DC pages got posted yesterday - a lot of the pieces are so similar thematically that I'd bet most of it is coming from a single collection. Miller DD, some Copper X-Men, various X-Men BA/CA crossover appearances, Perez NTT, etc.

Finally, some stuff for us Copper Kids to get excited about...all this talk about how great this auction was shaping up to be while I know a lot of collectors, including myself, were scratching our heads thinking it was straight up zzzlol

So true.

A "Classic" is defined by how something is remembered, not necessarily the technical aspects of its original execution.

Good, because the batman 251 cover blows :news:

...while I know a lot of collectors, including myself, were scratching our heads thinking it was straight up zzzlol

A lot, or just you? Hardly zzz and you can keep the BA ;)

Yeah, it must just be me, because I'm an unknown in the hobby and don't talk to anyone else. :sorry:

Oh, wait...:makepoint:

...while I know a lot of collectors, including myself, were scratching our heads thinking it was straight up zzzlol

A lot, or just you? Hardly zzz and you can keep the BA ;)

Yeah, it must just be me, because I'm an unknown in the hobby and don't talk to anyone else. :sorry:

Oh, wait...:makepoint:

tumblr_inline_njty2oXYBM1s6nw8r.gif

So true.

It's woefully lacking in bulging codpieces and cocoa butter for sure.

So true.

It's woefully lacking in bulging codpieces and cocoa butter for sure.

I didn't say I wouldn't love to own it - I said it isn't much to look at ;) big difference.

I love me some Adams but it wasn't his best effort. If it's a classic it's only because it checks collector boxes so to speak