• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think I know where you can find an upgrade. :)

I know where I can find 100 upgrades. Just can't get them all so will have to be selective :(

Edited by G.A.tor

4 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think I know where you can find an upgrade. :)

I know where I can find 100 upgrades. Just can't get them all so will have to be selective :(

This one looks like a particularly nice upgrade, so I think I'd select it. 

18 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Love this cover.  One of the books in my relatively small Centaur collection. 

It's a cool one. 

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Keen Detective Funnies 8

No issues 1-7 and I've never heard why title started with issue 8 

there is no logical continuation title I can determine 

IMG_4917.JPG

Great copy (wp)! :applause:

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Keen Detective Funnies 8

IMG_4917.JPG

Looks like CGC accepts Overstreet's guess that the series is continuing from Detective Picture Stories, although that run ended more than a year earlier with issue 5.  Might be true, though, if whoever made the decision was too lazy to look up (or just misremembered) the issue number of the last DPS.  Presumably the motivation was the usual one of dodging having to put down a second-class mail deposit with the p.o. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Looks like CGC accepts Overstreet's guess that the series is continuing from Detective Picture Stories, although that run ended more than a year earlier with issue 5.  Might be true, though, if whoever made the decision was too lazy to look up (or just misremembered) the issue number of the last DPS.  Presumably the motivation was the usual one of dodging having to put down a second-class mail deposit with the p.o. 

That's the logical choice but never had confirmation. 

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That's the logical choice but never had confirmation. 

We'll probably never know, but the fact that they used the word "Detective" in both titles might be an indication that they were trying to do an end run around the p.o. regs.

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

We'll probably never know, but the fact that they used the word "Detective" in both titles might be an indication that they were trying to do an end run around the p.o. regs.

Little giant  detective Comics only had two issues but they seem to be published after Kdf eight unless they'd  been planned long before that and already numbered 6&7 and just delayed  release...could be one possibility  

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Keen Detective Funnies 8

IMG_4917.JPG

Having only see this cover as a tiny thumbnail in the photo journal, I always assumed the bullet was going through that guy. Guess not lol   I like the odd proportions and the sort of wonky perspective on the stairs.

40 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Keen Detective Funnies 9

Fairly tough issue

posting 2 copies. First is my current copy. Second is an upgrade copy which I just won at auction last week (but not yet arrived)

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4945.PNG

40 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Keen Detective Funnies 9

Fairly tough issue

posting 2 copies. First is my current copy. Second is an upgrade copy which I just won at auction last week (but not yet arrived)

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4945.PNG

Nice colors on that one, and cool early 'dark' cover

:applause:

... once again ... you just need to see those books in person or to have actual pics/scans  ...

My thoughts/2c.

(Recently "consulted" the Gerber Photo Journal repeatedly :cool: and still find myself spotting NEW covers?!?)

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Keen Detective Funnies 9

Fairly tough issue

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4945.PNG

Cool!  I think there were other B. Wright Centaurs in that auction.  

34 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Cool!  I think there were other B. Wright Centaurs in that auction.  

There were a handful

i won every upgrade I wanted except 1. The next book. Kdf10. I held off hoping the Berk copy would be better (it's not) so opp missed