• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Johnny545 said:

Didn't Berk have a complete Centaur collection, has some already sold or is there more to come?  The are some missing in the current auction.  (Maybe he kept a few?)

He kept some of them

Keen Detective Funnies 10

tough little book...would like to have an upgrade but lost out on the 8.5 in last auction. Stopped bidding "hoping" Berk would have a comparable copy ...hindsight is 20/20

IMG_4919.JPG

Edited by G.A.tor

With all your resources and connections I've seen you and others say you can and have completed runs of GA series within a fairly short time frame (less than 5 years), and obviously 1930s books are hard to find in any condition sometimes, and then you have these Centaurs which had distribution problems to make them even tougher.  Something I've wondered though, have you ever come across one of these super tough books in the wild, which you were able to scoop up ridiculously cheap? Or are you always surrounded by other collectors/dealers that price books like these to  you  accordingly? 

Edited by fett

2 minutes ago, fett said:

With all your resources and connections I've seen you and others say you can and have completed runs of GA series within a fairly short time frame (less than 5 years), and obviously 1930s books are hard to find in any condition sometimes, and then you have these Centaurs which had distribution problems to make them even tougher.  Something I've wondered though, have you ever come across one of these super tough books in the wild, which you were able to scoop up ridiculously cheap? Or are you always surrounded by other collectors/dealers that price books like these to  you  accordingly? 

I think the majority of folks that sell centaurs know their value/rarity... I have gotten issues for way less than I was willing to pay, but nothing I would say is "ridiculously" cheap, outside of the fact that some of the issues have little demand and are "cheap" (relative...like a few hundred)...

As an interesting side note, I happened to be in the CC offices when Ruben was there dropping off books for consignment, I know he had some Centaurs but I dont remember if this was one of them. He is quite the collector.

29 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

As an interesting side note, I happened to be in the CC offices when Ruben was there dropping off books for consignment, I know he had some Centaurs but I dont remember if this was one of them. He is quite the collector.

cool timing...it was one (says so right on the label lol )

Ruben and I talked for about an hour at NYCC this past year...cool collector for sure

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

cool timing...it was one (says so right on the label lol )

Ruben and I talked for about an hour at NYCC this past year...cool collector for sure

Does he still collect?

Just now, G.A.tor said:

Yes. We've exchanged a few emails about cool acquisitions 

Interesting.  So if he gets books newly graded, do they still get the "From the Collection of Ruben Blades" label notation from CGC?