• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:
1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

no, is it good?

Best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. 

@Wolverinex

The show starts off slow and the main protagonist is childish and annoying.  But it really finds it's groove around season 2.  There are admittedly filler episodes, but the journey overall is satisfying.  The show largely settles into a rhythm of 3-4 episode arcs.  If you think of the final 4 episode arc as a movie, it would undoubtedly stand as one of the top 4 Star Wars movies of all time.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

@Wolverinex

The show starts off slow and the main protagonist is childish and annoying.  But it really finds it's groove around season 2.  There are admittedly filler episodes, but the journey overall is satisfying.  The show largely settles into a rhythm of 3-4 episode arcs.  If you think of the final 4 episode arc as a movie, it would undoubtedly stand as one of the top 4 Star Wars movies of all time.

Agree. Those last four episodes...wow 

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

The movie is eh, but important for context. The show, as I said above, best thing for the franchise since the OT. I recommend bingeing.

I'm rewatching with my sister and provided a pared down episode list that cuts the filler.  For anyone who doesn't want to watch every episode nor do they want to sit through the whole movie, the only important part of the movie is the first 30 minutes as it serves to introduce the main character.

EDIT: the only important part "OF THE MOVIE".  Didn't mean to imply the whole series.  You can cut the series down to about 60 episodes and get all the important stuff you need to understand the "heroes journey".

Edited by ExNihilo

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm rewatching with my sister and provided a pared down episode list that cuts the filler.  For anyone who doesn't want to watch every episode nor do they want to sit through the whole movie, the only important part of the movie is the first 30 minutes of the movie as it serves to introduce the main character.

EDIT: the only important part "OF THE MOVIE".  Didn't mean to imply the whole series.  You can cut the series down to about 60 episodes and get all the important stuff you need to understand the "heroes journey".

True. The only real important part of the movie is the first 30 mins. 

I did enjoy most of the filler episodes because they added to the mythology and lore. But most can be skipped over. It was cool watching the younglings getting their kyber crystals and Ahsoka meeting Chewbacca. Granted the second was more of a filler arc but it was cool. 

44 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

True. The only real important part of the movie is the first 30 mins. 

I did enjoy most of the filler episodes because they added to the mythology and lore. But most can be skipped over. It was cool watching the younglings getting their kyber crystals and Ahsoka meeting Chewbacca. Granted the second was more of a filler arc but it was cool. 

I fully agree.  I think some of those arcs feel like filler the first time you see them, but after watching the full series, I realize that there's a lot of character building that occurs as well.  Like the kyber crystal arc doesn't progress the story or impact any future stories, but it's a stepping stone for showcasing the character development that Ahsoka has gone through between season 1 and season 3 (or whichever season that was).  It also provides moments that endure the character to viewers and ultimately makes the end more worthwhile.  The entire Umbara arc is another great example of an arc that is self contained and skippable if you're in a crunch.  But without it, the viewer misses out on the humanity behind the Clone Troopers.

I liken it to Hickman's FF/Avengers/Secret Wars epic.  You can read Secret Wars by itself and understand things just fine.  But if you go all the way back and read FF through Secret Wars, you get a full appreciation of just what Hickman was hoping to achieve.

Yeah, love the show. Because of Madalorian, kid requested to buy the whole star wars DVD lot and watch it together with him. Now he sings the cathcy tune everyday. Dannn dannnnnn dan dan dun dannnnnn dan dun dun'n dun dannnnnn dannnnnnnn dan dun den dannnnnn. Dun nuuu dannn dan dun den dannnnn dan den dun dannnnn na dan dun den dannnnnn Pssshhhhh...

My middle son (age 11 and he is autistic) watches the "Clone Wars" on Disney+, he doesn't watch them in any short of order, he just enjoys them.  He thinks all the clone troopers are heroes.  Yesterday he wanted to watch the movie "where Anakin turns bad", so I fired up RoTS on Disney +.  We sat there and watched it and it about broke his heart when Clone Trooper Cody (who is a big lead in the Clone Wars Cartoon) turned on Obi Wan.  Anakin turning bad didn't bother him at all, but the clones going bad was a big blow to him.

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

My middle son (age 11 and he is autistic) watches the "Clone Wars" on Disney+, he doesn't watch them in any short of order, he just enjoys them.  He thinks all the clone troopers are heroes.  Yesterday he wanted to watch the movie "where Anakin turns bad", so I fired up RoTS on Disney +.  We sat there and watched it and it about broke his heart when Clone Trooper Cody (who is a big lead in the Clone Wars Cartoon) turned on Obi Wan.  Anakin turning bad didn't bother him at all, but the clones going bad was a big blow to him.

Clone Wars makes a lot of the developments in the prequels much more impactful, but none more so than Order 66. Really is kinda heartbreaking when you think about it. 

15 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Clone Wars makes a lot of the developments in the prequels much more impactful, but none more so than Order 66. Really is kinda heartbreaking when you think about it. 

After all this, sounds like I need to go back and watch Clone Wars.

Boba Fett returned in The Mandalorian season 2, episode 6, "Chapter 14: The Tragedy," and the episode sneakily made his original name - and Jango Fett's old master - part of Star Wars canon. Having been briefly teased at the end of The Mandalorian season 2, episode 1, "Chapter 9: The Marshal," Boba would make his long awaited comeback proper in "The Tragedy," tracking Din Djarin to the planet Tython in order to finally reclaim his iconic armor. While there, aside from delivering the Boba Fett fans have always wanted to see on screen, it also made some big reveals about his heritage.

While Star Wars had previously retconned Jango and Boba Fett from being Mandalorians, "The Tragedy" changes things. While Boba Fett himself is still not a true Mandalorian because he doesn't follow the creed, it reveals that Jango Fett was a foundling, and grew up to fight in the Mandalorian Civil Wars, bringing part of his old Expanded Universe (now Legends) into canon. Aside from Jango and the Civil Wars, there are a couple of other teases of the histories and culture of the Mandalorians, and of Jango and Boba Fett's pasts.

In The Mandalorian season 2, episode 6, Boba Fett reveals a chain coded message that's been part of his armor for 25 years. While it's not clear what it says on screen, deciphering it reveals certain key pieces of the puzzle: "Foundling, Took into th..., The year, the..., Concord Dawn, Mentor Jaste..., Father Fett, Boba, Fett." Some of that, like "foundling" is explained in the episode, while other parts, like Concord Dawn - a Mandalorian planet - already exist in canon. The most curious part, then, is "Mentor Jaste," which is certainly Mentor Jaster, or Jaster Mereel. In Star Wars Legends, Jaster Mereel was originally the real name of Boba Fett, as revealed in the short story The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett.

Boba Fett was a fan-favorite thanks to his cool design and intriguing hints of things like disintegrations, but his death in Return of the Jedi was laughable. It's no surprise, then, that the EU wanted to flesh him out, and The Last One Standing used flashbacks to reveal that the bounty hunter had once been a lawman called Jaster Mereel, who was exiled from his home planet after killing a superior. That took him on a crusade through the galaxy, where he adopted the identity of Boba Fett. While this was an accepted and celebrated part of Boba's story, it was retconned from what was then canon by George Lucas in Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones, which revealed Boba to be the clone son of Jango.

That meant Boba's EU backstory couldn't possibly work, but it didn't go to waste. The comic series Jango Fett: Open Seasons retconned Jaster Mereel into being his own person. Mereel was born on Concord Dawn and, after being exiled, went on to become the Mandalore, the leader of the Mandalorians. When he later returned home after a civil war, he saved Jango's life from the Death Watch. Jaster Mereel took Jango in and raised him like his own son, training him and preparing him to become the next Mandalore after him (which happened after Mereel's death), and both Jango and Boba would later use the name as a pseudonym in his honor, though this again was wiped from continuity when Disney bought Lucasfilm, and so for the second (and seemingly final time) Jaster Mereel was no longer canon.

That is, until The Mandalorian season 2, episode 6. While "The Tragedy" doesn't explicitly mention Jaster Mereel, the tease of him in the code at least brings the name into canon. Coupled with the fact that he is referenced as mentor, and Jango himself is revealed to be a foundling, then it strongly suggests that much of the character's story from Star Wars Legends is, or at least will be, made canon once again. Having him be the one who raised Jango Fett makes sense if Disney is going to be using that again, and even if he's not fleshed out further, it's a nice way of honoring both the character and Boba Fett's own rich history.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

While Star Wars had previously retconned Jango and Boba Fett from being Mandalorians, "The Tragedy" changes things. While Boba Fett himself is still not a true Mandalorian because he doesn't follow the creed, it reveals that Jango Fett was a foundling, and grew up to fight in the Mandalorian Civil Wars, bringing part of his old Expanded Universe (now Legends) into canon. Aside from Jango and the Civil Wars, there are a couple of other teases of the histories and culture of the Mandalorians, and of Jango and Boba Fett's pasts.

Did they really retcon him being a Mandalorian, though? IIRC, Almec dismissed the idea that someone such as Jango Fett was a Mandalorian. Felt like it was done to fit his agenda at the time. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

Did they really retcon them him being a Mandalorian, though? IIRC, Almec dismissed the idea that someone such as Jango Fett was a Mandalorian. Felt like it was done to fit his agenda at the time. 

So much storytelling ahead now that they have Boba Fett bak. So I am glad the show didn't lay it all out in one episode. Keep us all hungry for more. :popcorn:

2 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Try to introduce him to Rebels where an older Captain Rex is a hero throughout the last couple of seasons. 

38 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

After all this, sounds like I need to go back and watch Clone Wars.

Oh definitely... did you at least watch the last season that brought back Ahsoka on Disney+ ?  You would really like that.  They wrote those episodes knowing that their would be a strong adult viewership. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh definitely... did you at least watch the last season that brought back Ahsoka on Disney+ ?  You would really like that.  They wrote those episodes knowing that their would be a strong adult viewership. 

I have not. So I have a lot of catching up to do which will probably make even more of The Mandalorian come together for me.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I have not. So I have a lot of catching up to do which will probably make even more of The Mandalorian come together for me.

Mandalorian seems to be more tied into the last episodes in the revival of the Clone Wars and all four seasons of Rebels. 

Ezra is introduced in Season 1 (who I assume will be introduced at the end of the season and become a major player in Season 3 of the Mandalorian)

Ahsoka is reintroduced in the last episode or two of Season 1 of Rebels

Thrawn is introduced in the first episode of Season 3

There is a WHOLE LOTTA Jedi mysticism stuff that it looks like Filoni is going to gravitate toward especially after Ahsoka sent him to the rock to commune with the force.  There were a lot of sites like that in Rebels and in some episodes of the Clone Wars that will probably flesh the story out even more. 

The latest episode of The Mandalorian brought back yet another fan-favorite Star Wars character to live-action. Return of the Jedi led fans to believe that Boba Fett perished in the stomach of the Sarlacc. The second season premiere of The Mandalorian hinted that Boba Fett may have survived. The newest episode of the streaming series, "Chapter 14: The Tragedy," confirms it. Boba Fett is back, and he's reclaimed his armor. It wasn't easy. At first, Din Djarin doesn't trust him and fights both Boba Fett and Fennec Shand. They're all forced to join forces when Moff Gideon's Imperial remnant shows up on the ancient Jedi planet Tython.

In the end, Boba Fett convinces Din Djarin to turn over Boba's armor permanently after showing him the chain code embedded in the armor. The code isn't shown in English in the episode. It's written in Mando'a, the language of the Mandalorians, which Din can read. It convinces him that Boba Fett is a Mandalorian foundling who inherited the armor from his father, Jango Fett. He agrees to let Boba Fett have it back.

But what does the message say? An intrepid Redditor translated the code from Mando'a into English and found it is full of interesting tidbits. The code is damaged, meaning some of it is incomplete, but here's what it says:

"Foundling, Took into… The year the... Concord Dawn, Mentor Jast, Father Fett, Boba Fett."

boba_fett_msg.thumb.JPG.0fc47bf1ed3127d34622557814134969.JPG