• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, drotto said:

I liked her in the role and the casting.  Overall a good episode.  The makeup did bother me a little.  The creases in the tendrils were distracting.  I also understand for practical purposes why they shrunk them down in size some, but I would have liked to see them larger and more prominent. 

I thought it was just me, they were distracting. Looked like foam, rubber texture would have been more realistic IMO...

58 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I thought it was just me, they were distracting. Looked like foam, rubber texture would have been more realistic IMO...

It seems to me they could have tweaked them with CGI in post production.

19 minutes ago, drotto said:

It seems to me they could have tweaked them with CGI in post production.

I actually got out my ruler and started checking the dimensions to the animated version and was very concerned there was such a variance. I WANT A RECALL! :sumo:

:baiting:

Beloved Star Wars character Ahsoka Tano, from Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, finally showed up on The Mandalorian on Disney Plus during the new season. Played by actor Rosario Dawson, Ahsoka made her live-action debut in The Mandalorian episode titled 'The Jedi'. Dawson's portrayal of the animated character meant some changes needed to be made to Ahsoka's appearance for the transition to a live-action format.

One major cosmetic change included smaller head-tails, also called montrals and lekku. Ahsoka had short lekku at the beginning of Star Wars: The Clone Wars but much longer lekku in Star Wars Rebels and later episodes of The Clone Wars to show they grew as she aged. However, in The Mandalorian, Ahsoka's lekku head tails are short once again, which confused fans who were used to seeing her longer lekku in Rebels.

Star Wars character concept designer Brian Matyas addressed fan questions on Twitter on Nov. 27 about Ahsoka's new look. He explained that one factor in the change had to do with the weight of the head tails. If the head tails were kept long, it would most likely make stunt fighting more difficult.

"Can you share at all the conversations you had regarding the size of her montrals/lekku?" Star Wars fan Jack Kennedy tweeted. "There's some confusion among fans as they were much bigger in Rebels around this same time period. Figured it was just impractical for the actors but wondering if there's anything else to it."

"That was the chief concern," Matyas answered. "From animation to live-action I did a ton of design exploration for her and their appropriate size for the actor with consideration for stunts and movement. I'm sure I'll get to discuss at greater length in the near future."

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I actually got out my ruler and started checking the dimensions to the animated version and was very concerned there was such a variance. I WANT A RECALL! :sumo:

:baiting:

I had less issue with them being shorter.  What distracted me were the creasing and the texture that seemed very fake. They had no natural motion to them, and seemed stiff.  They felt more like a headpiece as opposed to a part of her body. I enjoyed the episode, but for me the makeup was distracting. 

So, I was thinking about the latest episode again and trying to think of any (possible) living Jedi that all the speculative articles may have left out - is Quinlan Vos still alive? I haven't read the newer comics, but I believe he probably survived the purge. Anybody versed in the comics know if he's still kicking around?

15 hours ago, drotto said:

I had less issue with them being shorter.  What distracted me were the creasing and the texture that seemed very fake. They had no natural motion to them, and seemed stiff.  They felt more like a headpiece as opposed to a part of her body. I enjoyed the episode, but for me the makeup was distracting. 

It really is okay to once in a while to allow yourself to enjoy such shows without killing the experience with minor nitpicks. :foryou:

It was a fun episode with some great battles. And a solid casting that really made the wait well worth it.

6 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I enjoyed the episode immensely. But, just saying...I noticed it too. My experience wasn't "ruined"...but that detail could have been done better, imo. I think that's fair... 

But you didn't let that ruin the episode in the end. That's the difference.

There are hardcore Star Wars fans on social media protesting so much, they want the episode to be touched up digitally to 'make things right'. They feel it ruined the episode.

23 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Wait, is that real or one of those "deep fake" things?

The title actually notes 'deep fake'. :baiting::foryou:

Collider has been doing these for a little bit now to demonstrate the technology while celebrating Star Wars.

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The title actually notes 'deep fake'. :baiting::foryou:

Collider has been doing these for a little bit now to demonstrate the technology while celebrating Star Wars.

So basically give it a few more years with advances in technology and Tom Cruise (via his estate) could be "Mavrick" in Top Gun 45.

16 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

So basically give it a few more years with advances in technology and Tom Cruise (via his estate) could be "Mavrick" in Top Gun 45.

Ever since they did that movie Final Fantasy where they actually had to pull back on the animation because it conveyed how little they really needed live performers versus voice actors, it's been clear where the studio technology could take things. Especially if they can drive down the budget in having to pay actors top wages to perform.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Me after seeing episode 13: How are they going to top that?

Favreau/Filoni/Rodriguez: Hold my beer.

(worship)

Rick Famuyiwa on 12/11... Hold my Glenlivet

Spoiler

lol Right now I am feeling pretty good about NOT spending $350 on Hasbro's Razor Crest. 

I expect to see Moff Gideon drop out of hyperspace to meet up with Thrawn and to find Ezra Bridger pop up within the next two episodes. 

I am also expecting to see an "Outland" Boba Fett with removable helmet and 'mummy' head revealed on Hasbro's "Mando Monday" livestream which I will immediately preorder.