• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,642 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2021 at 9:25 AM, Miamiknight3434 said:

Hey Gang

Things have been slow on FH front 

Here's a purchase I never got around to posting.  Happy Holidays everyone 

Colors are really nice👌 

20211218_102302.jpg

Congrats. Stunning color. Prob my favorite cover of the early Sheena.  Was that the copy from HA?  I missed it.  

On 12/18/2021 at 5:56 PM, Foxtrot70 said:

Let's keep FH thread moving.  Here is book I got recently.  Really nice condition w great color.    This issue kicks off Ghost Gallery serial.  I am always struck reading those as they remind me of the EC formula especially when Kamen gets involved in later years.   Surely there was a direct influence on Gaines hm

IMG_2694.thumb.jpg.41f0368da0698b4851fdda3f6f969c57.jpg

Those blues are stunning congratulations 

On 12/18/2021 at 5:00 PM, Foxtrot70 said:

the color strike mess has to be production.  My copy looks similar 

IMG_3053.thumb.jpeg.946d54fed5ac22ae8c948a70862546bc.jpeg

The fading in the center of the cover is related to what's printed on the inside of the cover.  Don't ask me how, I can't explain it unless the covers were in stacks before they were bound to the interior.  But the orange part centrally is where there's an inside ad.  But the red on that issue is notoriously delicate and near impossible to find without some fading.  

Found this one at C2E2. Partially bought it to share here, due to the interesting color changes where the corner was folded over.  Pretty clear that the faded cover is due to sun fading, since the folded corner still looks bright and vibrant.  Does this mean most fading/color changes of FH books was sun related?  This has me leaning that way.

Jumbo 65.jpg

On 12/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, mwotka said:

Found this one at C2E2. Partially bought it to share here, due to the interesting color changes where the corner was folded over.  Pretty clear that the faded cover is due to sun fading, since the folded corner still looks bright and vibrant.  Does this mean most fading/color changes of FH books was sun related?  This has me leaning that way.

Jumbo 65.jpg

Interesting and thanks for sharing Mike. I definitely think we default to blaming the printing process at Fiction House too often, where lackluster colors due to fading in sun light are probably responsible for a good portion of poorly colored books.

I need to spend some time searching through really old posts, but I recall several of these discussions regarding FH and it was pointed out that there are many examples where it is a single deficient color, and sun fading would have had a more universal impact, supporting the idea that it was a printing issue. No time to look up these old posts now, but I’ll do some searching later!

On 12/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, Spyder! said:

Interesting and thanks for sharing Mike. I definitely think we default to blaming the printing process at Fiction House too often, where lackluster colors due to fading in sun light are probably responsible for a good portion of poorly colored books.

I need to spend some time searching through really old posts, but I recall several of these discussions regarding FH and it was pointed out that there are many examples where it is a single deficient color, and sun fading would have had a more universal impact, supporting the idea that it was a printing issue. No time to look up these old posts now, but I’ll do some searching later!

Yeah I think it is more than we think sun related but not a blanket statement.  Issues like Planet 13, 17, 18, 21 come to mind as ones with large variations in the color that I suspect are beyond just the sun causing the changes.