• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,639 posts in this topic

There's actually enough info in that scan to identify the books, though it would be a bit easier if the scans were larger, like this one:

Planet66.jpg

Judging from the stamp in the letter "P", that book appears to come from the famous "FFB" collection. I didn't realize that Scott let one of those go.

Fabulous run Adam. The early numbers may be harder to find in HG and are certainly more expensive,

The difference in "hard to find" is a little bit hard to tell now as these are early days of the census, but here's what it looks like so far:

PlanetCensus.jpg

Mine were never slabbed, and I know sacentaur purchased most of his pre-CGC. I'm not sure whether Steve has had his slabbed but I recall hearing about that sale before CGC was around.

I know sacentaur purchased most of his pre-CGC.

Correct - none of my 1 thru 5 have been CGC'd, and I just bought the # 10 raw.

But I have purchased two that have been slabbed...the 8.5 # 9 posted above, and this one below (my last Planet...so I need # 6 and # 8 to complete the group).

CGC 9.0 (note: not reflected in the early census), off-white to white pages:

100_1165.jpg

STEVE (make mine Larson)

As you indicate, at this point there is little use in the census as an indication of comparative scarcity of GA books, with the possible exception of major keys. I don't imagine that Planet #66(0 in census) is really much scarcer in 8.0 and above than #68(6 in census) when raw copies are considered, and as both your and Steve's scans show - beautiful raw Planets are out there. I was just going on the perhaps faulty assumption that pre-war GA books are generally harder to find in grade than post-war books, though I suppose #73 could suffer from scarce last issue syndrome.

As you indicate, at this point there is little use in the census as an indication of comparative scarcity of GA books, with the possible exception of major keys. I don't imagine that Planet #66(0 in census) is really much scarcer in 8.0 and above than #68(6 in census) when raw copies are considered, and as both your and Steve's scans show - beautiful raw Planets are out there. I was just going on the perhaps faulty assumption that pre-war GA books are generally harder to find in grade than post-war books, though I suppose #73 could suffer from scarce last issue syndrome.

The 66 is much tougher than the 68, both from what I've seen and what I've heard. Nor do I expect the 50s Planets to emerge in 9.4 and above copies the way that already have for the first 10 issues.

I want your Planet collection, Adam.

I'm sure we can work a deal for you More Funs or Adventures or Detectives. stooges.gif

Definitely a nice cover, Jon! thumbsup2.gif

I think the early and late books from FH had the best colors.

Planet69.jpg

....nice cover.....i think....

You think correctly, Jon (nice) - wish I had the Larson on the Jumbo 16!

Here's Jungle 15 Larson w/name erased on her leg, not that I was looking (hehe):

100_1079.jpg

STEVE

Great Book!...i have a copy in a lower grade than that....if you ever tire of it.....i have a number of single digit Larson Jungles looking for their long lost brother......jb

if you ever tire of it.....i have a number of single digit Larson Jungles looking for their long lost brother......jb

Gee, I wonder where you got THOSE from Jon!?!

(we wants them back, we do) poke2.gif

STEVE

Indeed the 4 and 9 i got from you ten years ago....the 6 and 7 from other sources....On the bright side you know where they are....jon