• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I was thinking the same thing.  In both cases I prefer the pulp version, but particularly with the Wings.

Hey! For a guy who says he doesn't like Fiction House (cf: "What's a GA book that everyone wants, but means nothing to you" thread), you're spending much more time here than might be expected by a random click of the GA thread topics! :nyah:

I keep hoping you guys will finally post stuff that I can like! :)

13 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I think Whitman created a nice cover or two.

PlanetSetSm.jpg

Combination of Whitman's work and the vivid colors that FH used during this period make these really stand out, imo.

Never understood why other publishers were unable to achieve the vividness of the colors on these books.  Maybe the printing process was too costly? hm

25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Never understood why other publishers were unable to achieve the vividness of the colors on these books.  Maybe the printing process was too costly?

FH almost certainly switched printers for the last couple years of their output as these issues don't suffer from the "thin" inks that result in such tame colors, the covers are very glossy and the interior pages a notch better.  There were other companies during the 50s that used similar high gloss paper with strong inks but no one else took such an enticing approach to color design.  I call it a "jewel-like" approach because they used colors aligned with gemstones like ruby, emerald, sapphire and amethyst.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

planet 70 & 71 are on the short-list of best back-to-back covers, imo.

And the set of the last 8 are among the best "8 in a row" ever.

13 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

One of my favorite two Jungle!! Love that one.

Thanks Rick!

Hmm. hm  Taking into account your particular cover peccadilloes (and limiting my survey to the first 20 issues), is your other favorite Jungle:

#7?  #15?

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:
4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

planet 70 & 71 are on the short-list of best back-to-back covers, imo.

And the set of the last 8 are among the best "8 in a row" ever.

But you have to take into account that he lost three of those eight times.  Montana and Bradshaw, otoh ....

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Rick!

Hmm. hm  Taking into account your particular cover peccadilloes (and limiting my survey to the first 20 issues), is your other favorite Jungle:

#7?  #15?

5 is also a great early cover

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm not sure what there is about this one, but it was love at first sight. 

1135358006a_zpsf5d4dc80.JPG

I dunno, I see a couple of reasons to like that one. As a whole run, I find Rangers not my real cup of tea. Not real fond of Firehair I guess. The war and jungle one are cool but the others leave me a little flat. That being said, I have the whole run of Firehair covers that have Baker interior art as well as a fair number of others including this beauty.