• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need advice
1 1

153 posts in this topic

Dealers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year with all of the auction houses listed in this thread. You get 100% of what books may hammer at instead of 90% and you get immediate payment with no risk of the vagaries of auction. Try us, Bob Storms, Dale Roberts, Richard Evans, Harley Yee, etc.

I'm not understanding this post. Are you saying there are no sellers fees with the auction houses? I think you need to re-edit this.

Dealers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year with all of the auction houses listed in this thread. You get 100% of what books may hammer at instead of 90% and you get immediate payment with no risk of the vagaries of auction. Try us, Bob Storms, Dale Roberts, Richard Evans, Harley Yee, etc.

I'm not understanding this post. Are you saying there are no sellers fees with the auction houses? I think you need to re-edit this.

Think he is saying, if the books are what the OP is presenting there are many buyers on this forum that would be willing to take the books at a fair price. By selling them to people here in the end the OP will end up with more cash, because he does not need to pay the associated fees of auction outlets.

I'm puzzled too (sorry Greg). How do you get 100% of the price it would hammer for by working with a dealer? Dealers have to get their cut too... ?

They charge a buyer's premium.

The buyer pays their fee, not the seller.

Possibly because some are 'pressable' so current "FMV" might have upside built in.

Glassman10, welcome, glad you're here at the moment with your story and hope you stick around or at least give updates from time to time or to seek follow up input.

I'm puzzled too (sorry Greg). How do you get 100% of the price it would hammer for by working with a dealer? Dealers have to get their cut too... ?

Which auction house doesn't charge a sellers premium? I've heard Heritage will waive theirs for certain collections but the OPs books don't seem like they'd qualify.

Edited by shadroch

Even if you get 100% of the bid price, if the buyer is paying a premium the consignor is NOT getting 100% . The buyer pays 110 when his winning bid is 100. Whenever there's a buyers premium, the sale price to focus on includes all money that changes hands.

This is like the Bizarro viewpoint to the old boards argument about buyers commissions! The one where buyers complain about Heritage cheating them because they "won" the book for a 100 bid but have to pay 119. lol

Buyer's premium lol

Screwing buyers every day...because they can

So far, the advice I've gotten has been really sound. At this point, I'm contacting the presser in Sarasota and will take about 20-25 books there for his opinion on what is worth pressing. Then, it's over to CGC to have some of the higher dollar ones graded. I'm joining GPAnalysis for a few months and have pretty much decided that the AF15 should go to auction. Deciding on the auction house is now the issue. I don't need the money desperately at all so I have the luxury of time. If the book indeed pulls a 7.5 and I think it certainly could, it takes things to a new level. I do not believe it can pull an 8 over the simple issue of off white pages. Everything else would be good. Somehow restoring it doesn't appeal to me. It's so beautiful now.

The other books help pull the over all value up, particularly the spidey 129's of which there are two . The iron man 55 is excellent. Luke Cage #1, blah blah blah. The ones I hold more dear are the 84-90 journey into mystery and I will have them slabbed. The FF4 group may get slabbed but it remains to see what that costs on books of more marginal value.

Someone asked about the prices. I really get taken literally too much. When I said that it was a 15 cent biz, I was waxing eloquent. Much of what I bought on the newsstand was .15 cents. I got some at .20. Way back, I got some at .12. When I was a little boy, it was a dime.

One person wanted my xmen and I simply quoted Overstreet as a starter and that seemed to really put him off a bit. . If I sold off a title, I would sell the whole title that I own. As many have said, "Don't get cherry picked"

Thank you all who have been so generous with your time and knowledge. The Internet is really quite an amazing thing. High tech info at your fingertips with an ample dash of bandits.

.One of my favorite ads from an early book on the back cover is "Amaze your Friends! Become popular and the life of the Party! LEARN TO PLAY THE PIANO!

nuff said.

So far, the advice I've gotten has been really sound. At this point, I'm contacting the presser in Sarasota and will take about 20-25 books there for his opinion on what is worth pressing. Then, it's over to CGC to have some of the higher dollar ones graded. I'm joining GPAnalysis for a few months and have pretty much decided that the AF15 should go to auction. Deciding on the auction house is now the issue. I don't need the money desperately at all so I have the luxury of time. If the book indeed pulls a 7.5 and I think it certainly could, it takes things to a new level. I do not believe it can pull an 8 over the simple issue of off white pages. Everything else would be good. Somehow restoring it doesn't appeal to me. It's so beautiful now.

The other books help pull the over all value up, particularly the spidey 129's of which there are two . The iron man 55 is excellent. Luke Cage #1, blah blah blah. The ones I hold more dear are the 84-90 journey into mystery and I will have them slabbed. The FF4 group may get slabbed but it remains to see what that costs on books of more marginal value.

Someone asked about the prices. I really get taken literally too much. When I said that it was a 15 cent biz, I was waxing eloquent. Much of what I bought on the newsstand was .15 cents. I got some at .20. Way back, I got some at .12. When I was a little boy, it was a dime.

One person wanted my xmen and I simply quoted Overstreet as a starter and that seemed to really put him off a bit. . If I sold off a title, I would sell the whole title that I owns. As many have said, "Don't get cherry picked"

Thank you all who have been so generous with your time and knowledge. The Internet is really quite an amazing thing. High tech info at your fingertips with an ample dash of bandits.

.One of my favorite ads from an early book on the back cover is "Amaze your Friends! Become popular and the life of the Party! LEARN TO PLAY THE PIANO!

nuff said.

IF the Journey Into Mystery #89 is in high grade, it may surprise you at auction as that one is tough in higher grades.

In any auctions I have ever participated in, mostly for building materials, old rugs machine tools,, whatever, it's pretty standard that the buyer pays a fee to the auction house up to 13%

So if I bought a tractor for 10,000 dollars, I would be writing a check for 11,300.00. In my other world from this one, it's been that way for ever. That's how they make their living and probably why they talk so fast. Real time auctions are really different than on line ones. You don't have a lot of time to think in real time and the adrenaline is way up. You really have to know your limits when you go after something..

The part in the comics is the percentages added on in the act of first slabbing, then grading, then if you sell on ebay, their fee. It really adds up quickly, especially on high grade material and much of that is paid up front. I will have plane tickets, a car rental , a motel, two businesses looking the books over and that has real cost. .

Edited by Glassman10

Buyer's premium lol

Screwing buyers every day...because they can

+1

Smokescreen. If I'm the buyer, I look at how much I'm putting into the book. Total spend is total spend. Yes the agent should make a cut of course but let's not pretend there's any substance to the name we give it. To be clear, I DO NOT think anyone is being disingenuous, I just find buyer's premium/seller's premium to be an irrelevant distinction.

and to add: no one seems to be buying them expecting the value to drop.

Consider how much the methods of buying and selling have changed since I was that 18 year old . I would find an ad in the mid pages of a book and there would be someone selling books in some far off place. No photos, no real correspondence to speak of. Only once did I drive anywhere to meet a seller and I did buy some of the books I'm letting go of now. I paid cash, they went in a box, I went home. I never bought that way again. They're worth a lot more now than they were apparently. I remember when the mile high collection was first reported in Overstreet and changed everything.

Ebay has brought it into real time as to value. You can see how many crazy people there are out there. You can see this disposable income at dizzying levels. Overstreet clearly shows me value increase in a year for a lot of books. A buyer's premium is nothing compared to the risks buying on ebay as near as I can see. I have read horror stories here which make me really shy of ever doing ebay. I can genuinely see why a comic store flourishes. You can hold it in your hand if you are willing to take the time to go to the store. There's tons of stores out there. That was not the case when I was young. Very few choices then.

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I am referring to the $$$ spent at auction houses by dealers. If we are will to pay ComicLink/Heritage/Comic Connect, etc. a certain price, we would pay you the same. Regardless of the type of vig (commission/buyer premium/etc.), a cut is coming out. Granted, we as dealers don't buy every book that comes at auction, but the total represents a significant chunk each year. And again, no waiting for payment (I realize the OP is in no hurry but to some folks that's a nice benefit). Anyway, sounds like a nice set of books. Good luck!

I'm just trying to not leave money on the table out of pure ignorance. I got my joy out of them when I was a kid. The advice has been great.

Glad you found this place to share your story. Can you post a few pics of your favorite books? Of course we'd all love to see your AF 15...etc. If you need help figuring out how to get pictures posted, let us know!

I have certainly been able to take pictures of them with the phone to email them to myself to put in a spreadsheet. How to get them to here, I don't know. When I emailed them, I reduced the size to 10%. So, yes I could use help with the procedure. Then, I'll send some photos to verify the piles. The cat thinks it's the best thing to happen in years. nw I need a service that kills cats for a modest fee ( and makes house calls). .It will take a few days since I don't want to handle anything again until the new bags and backer boards arrive, which should be tomorrow. Looking at them certainly is bringing back a flood of memories.

whatever you do do not try to improve the appearance of the books yourself. Seeing a small crack of white in a black area and swiping a marker over it to fill in the black will drop the value of the book by 50%

If you have already done something like this ask for advice immediately.