• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need advice
1 1

153 posts in this topic

Ah....sweet books Mr Glass.

You've mentioned the learning curve you're going through and it's understandable. The hobby has changed an awful lot since you were actively buying. Grading standards have changed a great deal. I can recall when Overstreet only had 3 grades and a NM was only worth twice the value of a G. I bought a Fantastic Four #2 for the NM price of $50 and it was only a fair but it was the only copy I'd seen up to that point and I had to have it.

Your Spider-man 121 and 122 are very nice, structurally sound and very strong color - I love bright colored books. Not to be a debbie downer but the AF 15 is not high grade, very unlikely to grade higher than 5.0 and more likely 4.0. There's just too many color breaking creases and pressing won't change that. I'm also a little concerned about the shape of the corners of the book, doesn't look right to me and I'm worried about trimming. It's a great book and I do appreciate you sharing your story and these pictures.

we'll indeed see what the grade comes in at. Three people have looked at it close up and read overstreet and they feel it's a lot better than your estimate, but I did expect to be picked apart. . I am going to have it pressed. I appreciate the help I've been given getting the pictures up. I have about 4-500 to shoot.

Your books look great and i can't wait to see the grades start coming in.

Also big (thumbs u to another Thor fan !

Just to set your expectation on the AF #15 though, I see it being in the 5.x rather than 7.x range though still a nice copy and worth serious coin.

OK, I went back and read the entire thread. I haven't said how I actually came into having this comic. So, here it is:

I was at an automotive wrecking yard owned by a friend back round 1969-70 I don't recallexactly. I was poking around in this old school bus which no longer ran and these were the days of Ken Keesey and "Further" which ran around Taos and the hog farm in a less than sober mode for quite some time. There was this box of comics on the floor in the bus and the man who owned the bus knew I liked comics. He just said "take them".

I did. They sat in my truck for about a week. I was trying to get a used rear end for a dodge Power wagon I owned and life was going poorly. Eventually, I took the box into my apartment and began to poke around. On top were some early x men, number 4, 7 and 40 in pretty poor shape I thought. These days I think they call it very good. There were also some avengers early, a FF12 in terrible shape and I still have all of them. But there, in the middle of it all was this Amazing Fantasy 15 and it was just perfect. Never really read. At that time, I think it sold for about 80 bucks and 80 bucks was a lot of money to me but I chose not to sell it off. Years have gone by, recessions have come and gone and everytime I thought maybe I should sell these but I never did. After every recession, the value increased. I did buy on the newsstands as I 've said but once things hit .20 cents I was out of there. My life changed directions. I had them in a file cabinet for a number of years until I found my employees taking them to the bathroom for reading so then they went to boxes and a select few were bagged. Remember CGC would not come into existence for another 25-30 years. Bags were a novelty. So, All this time, they've been sealed up carefully. Some indeed got dinged doing this. I just have to accept that.

It's funny though. With today's find. It's complete. I finally know where the Kingpin went. When I look it all over , if I took advice on keeping just a bit, I think it would be the Conan's. That Artwork is really wonderful. I have two number one's. I may sell one of those and just keep the rest of them . The hardest part now is that I would like to just sit and read them all one last time. It's worse than binging on Breaking Bad. I hate the idea of slabbing. I can see why it happens but all that really happens is converting a love affair to dollars. Again, in Africa, the majority of people own the clothes on their backs and no more. So if doing this gets my son, a great kid, a down payment on a place of his own where he can accumulate dubious stuff and my wife a rebuilt kitchen, I'm all in. I'll just get the tractor when they aren't looking. .

Edited by Glassman10

OK, I went back and read the entire thread. I haven't said how I actually came into having this comic. So, here it is:

I was at an automotive wrecking yard owned by a friend back round 1969-70 I don't recallexactly. I was poking around in this old school bus which no longer ran and these were the days of Ken Keesey and "Further" which ran around Taos and the hog farm in a less than sober mode for quite some time. There was this box of comics on the floor in the bus and the man who owned the bus knew I liked comics. He just said "take them".

I did. They sat in my truck for about a week. I was trying to get a used rear end for a dodge Power wagon I owned and life was going poorly. Eventually, I took the box into my apartment and began to poke around. On top were some early x men, number 4, 7 and 40 in pretty poor shape I thought. These days I think they call it very good. There were also some avengers early, a FF12 in terrible shape and I still have all of them. But there, in the middle of it all was this Amazing Fantasy 15 and it was just perfect. Never really read. At that time, I think it sold for about 80 bucks and 80 bucks was a lot of money to me but I chose not to sell it off. Years have gone by, recessions have come and gone and everytime I thought maybe I should sell these but I never did. After every recession, the value increased. I did buy on the newsstands as I 've said but once things hit .20 cents I was out of there. My life changed directions. I had them in a file cabinet for a number of years until I found my employees taking them to the bathroom for reading so then they went to boxes and a select few were bagged. Remember CGC would not come into existence for another 25-30 years. Bags were a novelty. So, All this time, they've been sealed up carefully. Some indeed got dinged doing this. I just have to accept that.

It's funny though. With today's find. It's complete. I finally know where the Kingpin went. When I look it all over , if I took advice on keeping just a bit, I think it would be the Conan's. That Artwork is really wonderful. I have two number one's. I may sell one of those and just keep the rest of them . The hardest part now is that I would like to just sit and read them all one last time. It's worse than binging on Breaking Bad. I hate the idea of slabbing. I can see why it happens but all that really happens is converting a love affair to dollars. Again, in Africa, the majority of people own the clothes on their backs and no more. So if doing this gets my son, a great kid, a down payment on a place of his own where he can accumulate dubious stuff and my wife a rebuilt kitchen, I'm all in. I'll just get the tractor when they aren't looking. .

So some guy potentially cost you a couple of hundred grand by reading your AF #15 on the john.... doh!

So, the pressers want me to bring it on a monday morning and to not include other books. If it's minor it can go to the other side of the building that day.That can be a walk through. . Big kids books. Everything else could take up to two months. So I fly to Tampa, Not Ft Lauderdale and visit my friends while I sweat it out . High risk for Melanoma. Hilarity ensues. I could maybe get to auction by Summer , sooner if I don't press more.

Trying to combine pressing with grading is a slow process. Maybe not. I'm continuing to learn here.

Not to disparage you or your book, but I'll echo the other sentiments and say that the grade definitely appears to be in the 5 range.

I'd still love to own it, we just want you to temper your expectations. You did say "I need advice" :)

Edited by lightninglad

Not to disparage you or your book, but I'll echo the other sentiments and say that the grade definitely appears to be in the 5 range.

I'd still love to own it, we just want you to temper your expectations. You did say "I need advice" :)

Top end of 6. With that top corner chipped off, you may be lucky to get that.

Makes no difference, the chip is a goner. Book would lose value if reattached

Yep. I spoke to CGC about this-the chip is irrelevant once it falls off. But you could maybe sell it to that Fragments from History guy.

https://www.facebook.com/fragmentsfromhistory/