• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Least-favorite artist with the greatest presence in your collection?

64 posts in this topic

I've recently undertaken the rather onerous task of consolidating books purchased in my childhood with those obtained in more recent years, and as I've been doing some rebagging and reboarding I've found it interesting to rediscover a bunch of titles I either forgot I had owned or forgot I had collected to such a significant degree.

In the process I've sorted some extended runs of '80s Incredible Hulk (I was a subscriber!) and then Spectacular Spider-Man... and that in looking at this along with a bunch of earlier Bronze Marvel titles I own realized that 1) I have a ton of books drawn by Sal Buscema and then 2) I really do *not* enjoy Sal Buscema's style. There is no other artist with a more significant body of work in my collection who I find less appealing; I recognize many consider him a great, but the whole mouth-agape thing that seems to be his signature is just so off-putting to me it's hard to look past it on any given page.

5310809856ecd504113aae4be1927221.jpg

Researching him a bit online, I came across what I found to be a rather amusing Tumblr:

Sal Spittle

Anyhow, I was wondering: what artist in YOUR collection seems to take up a lot of space despite your own relative disdain for his/her work, whether they were associated with a writer whose storyline you enjoyed, a title you aimed to complete regardless of creators, or a project you realized in hindsight wasn't that great?

hate Sal Buscema artI dont have anything of his.

To answer the question-Jim Mooney because he does all the Supergirl back up stories in Action Comics.

Irv Novick. Not that I don't like him, but rather he takes a backseat to BA Bat artists like Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, etc.. Being an early BA Bat collector, a lot of my books are drawn by Novick who was a real work horse for DC back in the day.

I completed my collection of Captain America up to 1975, only to turn around and sell all those terrible Sal Buscema issues.

I collect most of the major Marvel and DC super hero comics from 1965-1975, so I have lots of the following drek;

Flash by Irv Novick.

Batman by Bob Brown, Frank Robins, and...Irv Novick!

Justice League and World's Finest by Dillin.

Avengers by Don Heck, Sal Buscema, and.... Bob Brown!

X-Men by Werner Roth.

Iron Man by the twin towers of , George Tuska and Vince Colletta!!

Marvel camouflaged a lot of 1970s terrible interiors with great Gil Kane covers. I wish Gil had the time to draw all the interiors too.

hate Sal Buscema artI dont have anything of his.

To answer the question-Jim Mooney because he does all the Supergirl back up stories in Action Comics.

Yeah. Back in the day when I was a teenager and was serious into collecting, Sal was not someone I'd be excited to see whenever I picked up a book. He seemed to come across as a very crude version of his brother John. With all due respect, he was without a doubt a real workhouse for Marvel. Churning out tons of stuff and making sure those deadlines are met, and for that, he's to be admired. There were certainly worse artists or artists whose style was just not to my liking (i.e. Frank Robbins, Steve Ditko, George Tuska, etc.), but these guys did not show up as frequently in my monthly books as Sal did.

Art related - I'm not sure how indicative they are of his style as a whole, but I really don't like Sam Kieth's run of Marvel Comics Presents covers. They just look hurried and schlocky to me.

Petty and non-art related - Leinil Francis Yu. I dig his art and have no beef with the man personally. But his agent is a total jag bag, so I'll hold the slightest modicum of transference against LFY until he switches agents.

Marvel camouflaged a lot of 1970s terrible interiors with great Gil Kane covers. I wish Gil had the time to draw all the interiors too.

Yes, they did. Those Kane, especially the Kane/Romita Sr covers were incredible. Awesome covers, horrible interiors. DC was guilty of this too with Adams, Wrightson, and to an extent Kaluta, but it just didn't seem nearly as bad as Marvel.

And yes, Don Heck is another artist that was cringe worthy to me as well back in the day, but I've come to respect the man and his work today. Still don't like the style though. Not my cup of tea.

Irv Novick. Not that I don't like him, but rather he takes a backseat to BA Bat artists like Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, etc.. Being an early BA Bat collector, a lot of my books are drawn by Novick who was a real work horse for DC back in the day.

Surprised by this. While Novick's style wasn't as flashy or dynamic as Adams, Rogers, Aparo, Garcia-Lopez.... okay, a lot of guys, I still found his art on Bats solid. Not great, sure, but it's never been anything less than serviceable for me.

My entry would almost definitely by Romita Jr. Between the DD, X-Men, Bat-stuff, what-have-you, I've got way too much JRJr in my collection. I picked up 1 issue of All-Star Batman and gave up. Still can't do it.

Yes, they did. Those Kane, especially the Kane/Romita Sr covers were incredible. Awesome covers, horrible interiors. DC was guilty of this too with Adams, Wrightson, and to an extent Kaluta, but it just didn't seem nearly as bad as Marvel.

Nick Cardy's cover work at DC is another great example of this tactic.

Give the poor guy a pass. He was an old man by then :foryou: His early stuff is great.

I agree completely regarding Kane's covers - but I'm glad they kept him off the interiors :insane: I find his BA interiors drawn with a harsh line, they distract from the story. I think he was just a better cover artist than an interior artist, especially in the 1970s.

Pencil art, another vote for JR JR. I like his mid 80s to early 90s art style, but not the later, blockier stuff, which I can't connect to and which makes me not care about actually reading the story.

Inker, a vote for Al Milgrom.