• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Least-favorite artist with the greatest presence in your collection?

64 posts in this topic

Don't forget his Thor-I avoid those issues like the plaque.

Yup. I tend to give those the brush-off as well.

Not that many of them before Kirby returns, though.

Don't forget his Thor-I avoid those issues like the plaque.

Yup. I tend to give those the brush-off as well.

He'll be here all week folks. :applause:

Pencil art, another vote for JR JR. I like his mid 80s to early 90s art style, but not the later, blockier stuff, which I can't connect to and which makes me not care about actually reading the story.

Inker, a vote for Al Milgrom.

Agree with you here. I have much of JR Jr's DD run in the mid-'80s and found it pretty good... Though the trendline was clearly sloping downward on that title from Miller to Janson to him.

That said, I picked up some of his recent work on some Batman title in a shop (I'm generally clueless about moderns) and found it unrecognizable as his style to me... and not in a good way.

Al Milgrom

his style on PPTSSM looks so sloppy and it's all over copper age covers. I've seen earlier work of his that looked damned good but maybe it was inked by someone else.

lol

Funny that Al and Sal were the cover/interior combo on many of my Hulk issues from that era that I mentioned, too. Come to think of it, they probably team up for the worst overall art of any "key" in that decade (Hulk 271), IMO.

I don't know about his earlier work, but George Tuska pencilled early 70's Iron Mans, which are some of the most hideous books in my collection.

Robbins was terrible, but he's not my #1 because I avoided Invaders entirely because of him.

A small taste of Tuska's GA work. A great cover, IMHO.

1811121037571.jpg

Sal was my pick before I even opened your post.

I've recently undertaken the rather onerous task of consolidating books purchased in my childhood with those obtained in more recent years, and as I've been doing some rebagging and reboarding I've found it interesting to rediscover a bunch of titles I either forgot I had owned or forgot I had collected to such a significant degree.

In the process I've sorted some extended runs of '80s Incredible Hulk (I was a subscriber!) and then Spectacular Spider-Man... and that in looking at this along with a bunch of earlier Bronze Marvel titles I own realized that 1) I have a ton of books drawn by Sal Buscema and then 2) I really do *not* enjoy Sal Buscema's style. There is no other artist with a more significant body of work in my collection who I find less appealing; I recognize many consider him a great, but the whole mouth-agape thing that seems to be his signature is just so off-putting to me it's hard to look past it on any given page.

5310809856ecd504113aae4be1927221.jpg

Researching him a bit online, I came across what I found to be a rather amusing Tumblr:

Sal Spittle

Anyhow, I was wondering: what artist in YOUR collection seems to take up a lot of space despite your own relative disdain for his/her work, whether they were associated with a writer whose storyline you enjoyed, a title you aimed to complete regardless of creators, or a project you realized in hindsight wasn't that great?

Ditko except for some of his early 1950's pre-code horror work.

Being a huge Spidey fan, I agree! I thought he was great with interiors, but I just never cared for the vast majority of his covers. As much as I don't like Ditko covers, I feel the complete opposite about Romita Sr. Definitely my favorite artist, bar none. He came 39 issues too late IMO. 2c

Joe Rubenstein.

Eventually he's gonna Draw Hulk's head so small it's just a tiny zit on top of his shoulders.

Ditko except for some of his early 1950's pre-code horror work.

Being a huge Spidey fan, I agree! I thought he was great with interiors, but I just never cared for the vast majority of his covers. As much as I don't like Ditko covers, I feel the complete opposite about Romita Sr. Definitely my favorite artist, bar none. He came 39 issues too late IMO. 2c

I have most of the Spidey Ditko run but I like the stories better than the art. This is the Ditko art I like:

comthismaghaunted16_zpsznthwpdc.jpg

comstrangesuspenstories19_zpsf0qw7x5h.jpg

I always thought Sal Buscema drew great and sensuous female lips. Plus I am kind of partial to him since the first book I ever bought was his cover/art pencils - Defenders #2 - still love that cover.

If he just stuck to the lips that would be great unfortunately he drew the rest of the face and body too.