• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Least-favorite artist with the greatest presence in your collection?

64 posts in this topic

Joe Rubenstein.

A very smooth-looking inking style, until you notice from the pencil art that he did a lot of erasing, and so very much a graduate of The Vince Colletta School of Inking.

I always thought Sal Buscema drew great and sensuous female lips. Plus I am kind of partial to him since the first book I ever bought was his cover/art pencils - Defenders #2 - still love that cover.

If he just stuck to the lips that would be great unfortunately he drew the rest of the face and body too.

lol

Ditko except for some of his early 1950's pre-code horror work.

Being a huge Spidey fan, I agree! I thought he was great with interiors, but I just never cared for the vast majority of his covers. As much as I don't like Ditko covers, I feel the complete opposite about Romita Sr. Definitely my favorite artist, bar none. He came 39 issues too late IMO. 2c

I have most of the Spidey Ditko run but I like the stories better than the art. This is the Ditko art I like:

comthismaghaunted16_zpsznthwpdc.jpg

comstrangesuspenstories19_zpsf0qw7x5h.jpg

That Strange Suspense Stories 19 is an absolute classic. Love that cover.

I always feel like folks are too hard on Sal. His stuff isn't as pretty as his brother, but he was a solid storyteller and he got the books out on time. I wouldn't hang his stuff on the wall, but when I was a kid reading the funny books, he got the job done.

Don't forget his Thor-I avoid those issues like the plaque.

When I first turned the Kirby cover of an early JIM/THOR only to find Don Heck artwork I was horrifed. :censored: Really bad!! :tonofbricks:

It's like opening the big present at Christmas and inside is something big and crappy.

Noto in my Modern books. It's not that he's a "bad" artist, but that stuff should be used in cafe stories from the Art Deco era, not superheroes.

When I see X-23 or the Spider-Women looking like abstract twig figures...

wpl5x.jpg

Noto in my Modern books. It's not that he's a "bad" artist, but that stuff should be used in cafe stories from the Art Deco era, not superheroes.

wpl5x.jpg

tumblr_lmts4ouEom1qhyhwto1_500.jpg.cf.jpg

This Wolvie is somethin' fierce. And that's X-23 in the back, looking like... I don't even know.....

:o

I'm a huge Noto fan, have been collecting him for years.

:cloud9:

29ft36f.jpg

25jfd46.jpg