• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to price a Pedigreed book?

34 posts in this topic

i kinda find these 2 appealing. i'd need a pretty good premium to divest. i have a tall texan first in line to pay said premium on the green one.

master34-1.jpg

master35-1.jpg

:gossip: What he's offering plus another 10%.

I'll chime in with my 2c . Most pedigrees make a difference when it comes to choosing between books, but the premiums attached vary greatly in line with the reputation of the ped. The Church pedigree, for instance, is pretty much the gold standard, followed closely by San Francisco, Allentown, Pennsylvania and several others. As with Edgar Church, there are specific owner collections and File copies which routinely command premiums (Lamont Larson, Billy Wright, William Gaines, etc.).

Early on, Chuck Rozanski boosted the value of Church pedigree books by establishing a 2X baseline over OSG tied to this collection's exceptional condition and PQ. As a marketing tool this caught on quickly and worked phenomenally well. Before long dealers were reselling Church pedigree books at 3X Guide. In today's market Church collection peds often range from 3X to 6X Guide in auctions when buyer's have the juice to compete for books reputated to be the "best". That said, many other pedigree and non-pedigree books look just as nice, occasionally better.

As a general rule I try to look at every pedigree book as worth a premium over a non-pedigree book of the same grade and PQ. How much? Personally, I'd start at about 1.2X of OSG and add points or multiples based on other factors such as highest grade, scarcity, general apperance, color strike, etc. Note: Collection attributions such as famous owner collections may also factor into desiability, but there's no set rule establishing benchmark values for celebrity collector books from folks like Nicholas Cage, etc.

What I've argued for years is that the most beneficial thing that could happen with the pedigree market is publication of a hardcover book detailing the origin, histories and market data of various pedigrees that could serve as a standard reference for collectors. On-line sites are great for historical reference, but don't provide the necessary gravitas to convince the collecting community that consistent rock-solid premiums are placed on these books.

Will a pedigree reference book ever happen? (shrug) Who knows, but it's well overdue.

i kinda find these 2 appealing. i'd need a pretty good premium to divest. i have a tall texan first in line to pay said premium on the green one.

master34-1.jpg

master35-1.jpg

Can an average height Tennessean be the first in line to pay said premium on the blue one? (shrug)