• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French auction
3 3

117 posts in this topic

Take it to a professional.   See if they can restore the paper.   I have a buddy undergoing the same thing currently.  I'll ask him to post here if he has success with taking his bend out.  

4 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

Take it to a professional.   See if they can restore the paper.   I have a buddy undergoing the same thing currently.  I'll ask him to post here if he has success with taking his bend out.  

Yup, the similarities between our situations are extremely similar.  Hopefully I'll have some pics to post later this week regarding repairing folds in paper.

I'm insanely sorry to hear this, Bird and insanely frustrated.  This type of negligence on something so valuable is mind-blowing...and it's not like the auction house didn't know how valuable it was.  It would be like sending an envelope with 7K in cash overseas without sealing it.  Not only is this negligence, this is stupidity on a whole 'nother level.  A SIX DOLLAR @#%$'N TOPLOADER AND TWENTY DOLLARS WORTH OF MASONITE BOARDS TO SHIP A SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!  That's it.  It's that simple.    I can't say I feel your pain, Bird, but I have an understanding of what you're going through.  At the bare minimum, you should receive a full refund.    Keep us posted on the replies you get from them, Bird, because if they come up with anything short of a complete refund, they need to be held accountable.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:35 PM, Bird said:

completely infuriating. I am enraged right now. Multiple folds across the art due to poor packing. 

C_jlMGpU0AEpEy_.jpgC_jlMGpUIAA3ZRN.jpg

C_jlMGnUAAA80pR.jpg

C_jlMGnVoAA3ZQS.jpg

Any suggestions on recourse? They would not ship it until I sent them the release signed.

This is what all collectors fear - getting a precious and irreplaceable piece severely damaged. I can't believe this could happen when using FedEx - but of course catastrophes will happen. Was this Priority or Economy shipping? I've had more than 100 FedEx packages delivered, all have been undamaged, I used to joke about not needing to pack an item when using FedEx, guess I'll have to eat those words...

I was thinking that maybe Robert Dennis can work miracles, he seems like the Wolf in the Pulp Fiction movie. Maybe you could send him some photos for advice? (Which hopefully could reduce your hypertension just slightly in this extremely frustrating situation.)

http://www.agraphicstateofmind.com/comic_art_restoration_services.html

You probably already know much more about Dennis' skills than I do, but he should be quite experienced in flattening and sealing tears etc.

Best,

Rune

Edited by Rune

I knew some paper conservators / restoration artists at the Smithsonian about a decade ago. Back then we had a couple conversations about a piece I'd bought that the original artist had packed... poorly.

1 piece of cardboard, and in the manila envelope it went.
A nicely lettered "do not bend" written on the envelope, because everyone knows that works, right?!?

Anyhow, the takeaway I had at the time is that folds, bends, etc. and their ability to take a repair is wholly dependent on the extent of the damage to the paper fibers. Since paper is made up of all those little pulp fibers, when it bends, it stretches to the fibers, and in some cases they tear. Not necessarily at a visible level, but at a more imperceptible with the naked eye level.

If the fibers have been distorted, stretched, and whathave you, then differing methods like temperature, moisture and pressure can be applied in various ways, to try and work the fibers back to normal. If your OA has a wave or wiggle or what looks like a softer bend to it, they can usually be sorted out.

But when you end up with more of a proper crease, where the paper really buckles in both directions and almost looks like it has dimensional "scars", well those are a different animal. They can be minimized to a certain degree, but they are more or less there forever. That is, if you want to hang onto the originality of the piece. Beyond that is heavy duty restoration that is almost like patching a car fender with bondo and having it resprayed at the original shape, but at a much much tinier level. And once you get into that level of resto, you are talking about big big bucks.

I just wrote it off, and found a new owner for the piece at a loss. It made me too mad to look at it, to keep it.

Well the auction house has responded and will assist with the FedEx claim. I will continue the dialogue with them but I'm not sure if anything else will happen.

I was just in touch with Robert Dennis about another piece so I will pursue having him restore this one.

I will Keep you guys all informed of any further developments 

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I bet FedEx takes one look at it and blames the shipper.
Good luck though!

well, so much for my moment of optimism. :frustrated:

6 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Any chance, if it were an option that you'd want to pursue,  to just return the piece and get a full refund (minus shipping in both directions)? 

Not so far. They seem to be focused only on the FedEx coverage ($1000 USD limit) and did not respond to my other requests. We'll see what happens. My options are somewhat limited but I am emailing Robert Dennis (yes he does seem like The Wolf!) and see what he has to say. I think that I want to keep the piece but if FedEx declines things get sticky.

Okay, The Wolf is wary about total success but will take a whack at the page but I won't send it until I am done dealing with the auction house and FedEx in case things go south.

Edited by Bird
added last paragraph

Can you believe the (Charles de) Gaulle of those French bastards to send me a catalog for their next auction? I know it is all different departments but c'mon now,, really? I am still waiting for the insurance payment that they are coordinating and they send me a catalog? I told wifey that I was glad to know that they have a new auction so I can blast the shipping practices on their facebook advertisement for said auction but she wisely counsels letting it go until we are settled up.

I want to say "va te fair foutre" if you understand my poor french and poor spelling!

Sorry to read this happened to you Bird.

A friend on FB had sent me a private message about this auction. I have heard of such waivers in the past when I had my eye on a piece through another French auctioneering company. It took awhile to read through everything being it was in French, but on that other company, the item I had my eye on already had some damage and I just wanted an assurance they would handle it properly. I didn't get a good vibe from their communication, so let it be. Incidentally, I saw the piece in another persons collection some time later and the damage looked considerably worse so my instinct was right.

Hearing about your situation, this company shouldn't be allowed to get anywhere near OA again. Just a reckless abandonment of common sense.

Edited by comicwiz

so Cornette de Saint Cyr continues to provide no resolution to my damaged art. Today I was informed that they are "fighting" with FedEx over the insurance on the piece. I have requested that they pay me the $1000 insurance directly and deal with FedEx themselves and that I would then consider the matter closed but this was denied. Well, ignored is more like it. I asked once again for that resolution and if not want to return the item for a full refund. I then got no response despite prompt replies to my 2 prior email, one this morning a short time before the refund request. I have asked for one of our French brethren who is a lawyer to assist me in the matter. The auction house has ignored my requests all along and replied to only some parts of my emails. They state that they are acting on my behalf with FedEx and have not directly addressed any of my other concerns/requests in our correspondence, even my request that they reconsider their packing in the future.

Please spread the word about their shipping practices and poor customer service and certainly, buyer beware!

Time to go to war. We have entered the end game. It doesn't look good for our fearless hero, but the final bell has not rung yet. I will be issuing a call for reinforcements shortly but I have to craft the call to arms carefully. 

Update to come in the next few days. Truly reprehensible behavior on the part of cornette de saint cyr auction house and their representatives. If nothing else perhaps I can entertain you all and provide a cautionary tale.

Edited by Bird
I cannot locate my other thread about the damage so I posted here. Can anyone find that?

Re: I cannot locate my other thread about the damage so I posted here. Can anyone find that?

This one? When you click it, the link should go to the post with the first post with pictures. Scroll down to see more  

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 2/16/2017 at 2:07 PM, Bird said:

Question maybe you could answer for me please: the VAT is just a % of the BP and not the hammer, correct? So 3000 euros bid becomes 3000 + 870 (29% of 3000 as BP) + 174 (VAT, 20% of 870)?

Sounds as if anyone bidding (and especially winning) should look into getting a PO Box in Monaco lol

Edited by pemart1966

57 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Re: I cannot locate my other thread about the damage so I posted here. Can anyone find that?

This one? When you click it, the link should go to the post with the first post with pictures. Scroll down to see more  

Thank you Alex!!!

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Holy cow, is this still going on? I thought for sure yo'd come to some kind of resolution by now. Even if it was resignation to fate. That's crazy.

yeah, I get it. They ignore me and I wait a bit and try again. I was fairly resigned to getting nothing except screwed but tossed another email to them last weekend. Lo and behold I got some information back. I am deciding on a course of action and will update in the other thread in the next week or so. One thing they told me is that they are on summer holiday until august 27 so I have until then to think about how I want to engage...sue them here, sue them there, social media war, or contact higher ups at the company if possible. I need knowledge before deciding on an attack/course of action so I am going to gather knowledge first.

Long story short FedEx offered $100 and cornette de saint cyr reminded me that I signed a waiver so neener neener neener. But the details I have omitted are significant.