• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French auction
3 3

117 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Have you checked with any restorers about fixing/repairing the folds?

Not yet but I wlll. I'll wait to see what happens with the auction house first.  I would definitely return it I think but haven't really thought about that. I'll make decision as the process unfolds

21 hours ago, Bird said:

completely infuriating. I am enraged right now. Multiple folds across the art due to poor packing. 

C_jlMGpU0AEpEy_.jpgC_jlMGpUIAA3ZRN.jpg

C_jlMGnUAAA80pR.jpg

C_jlMGnVoAA3ZQS.jpg

Any suggestions on recourse? They would not ship it until I sent them the release signed.

i guess that for 68€, the package was insured, so can't you ask for a full (or partial, depends if you want to keep the art or not) refund?

ho, and the eighties just called, they want their white socks back :grin:xD:roflmao:

Okay, I have written the first draft of the email that I will send them outlining the issues and what I expect in return. I won't get into that here please. But yesterday's email was just essentially "hey this happened and I will be in touch about resolving the issue." I should have a pretty well written version by the end of the day (in fact I just thought about a better way to state something). So I don't expect news over the weekend but expect to have a response early next week. No response will also be noted. I'll keep in touch. I am focusing not only on my art but also their shipping practices so maybe this can have a positive resolution.

oh, and I wear those socks because your mother likes them! :sumo: 

:kidaround:

Jokes aside, it may be a first world problem (I acknowledge that readily) but yesterday was the worst day of my 30+ years of collecting life. I went outside at one point and worked on my garden. I enjoy the gardening and if you read my journal here on the boards you know that I donate most of the harvest to a local food pantry. realizing that I was planting food for hungry people while fuming about my art being ruined put things inperspective a bit. But I still Flame On! with anger occasionally. 

This is just terrible. I hope there is a happy ending.  

I had a similar experience.  Luckily it was not as bad, but I do remember the disbelief follow by rage when I received the packaging tube containing the piece of art.

What made it worst is the replied I received from the sender after voicing how displease I was.

“I don’t understand what the problem is. This is what I’ve always done. Nobody ever complained before you, you are the first one to complain about that"

Really? >:(

Anyway Good Luck Bird

1.jpg

3.jpg

21 hours ago, Bird said:

Okay, I have written the first draft of the email that I will send them outlining the issues and what I expect in return. I won't get into that here please. But yesterday's email was just essentially "hey this happened and I will be in touch about resolving the issue." I should have a pretty well written version by the end of the day (in fact I just thought about a better way to state something). So I don't expect news over the weekend but expect to have a response early next week. No response will also be noted. I'll keep in touch. I am focusing not only on my art but also their shipping practices so maybe this can have a positive resolution

Bird, I wondered if you had checked with other auction houses asking what their position is on (severely) damaged puchases (in preparation for the French auction's reply) Christies, Sothebys, Heritage?

The condition of the item sold, whatever it may be, is always an important part of any sale whether it is in the decription or not.  The item you received is cetainly not in the same condition of the item you purchased.  Was the parcel signed for as damaged?

What about distance selling regulations?

Also their insurance should be specific value based as many countries' postal services do not insure "collectibles" at more than face value. i.e. initial puchase price.

Edited by Californication

Very sad story, I still can't believe they packed the art so poorly. They should have asked you to use a professional transporter for shipping (like some auction houses asked me to do for valuable items). The package is not better than the one I picked up directly at their offices.

On 11.5.2017 at 6:06 PM, Comic Art Factory said:

Hi,

I can't ever imagine how you're feeling right now.

A few months ago, I did my best to help another US collector who bought a piece from another auction house based in France. They shipped the art framed, and of course, the glass broke and damaged the art. In this case, I kindly argued that they should at least have asked him first if he wanted the at to be shipped framed or unframed. But even with that small mistake of theirs, it was the same discussion over and over, as you usually agree to have them not responsible of what happens as soon as it leaves the auction house. They put the blame on the shipping company, even if the packaging material was not fit to ship art, even unframed. You know, even from France to Belgium, there has been bad surprises and you also have to sign this document or to agree through email. the other thing being that not everyone working in auction houses in Paris speak english fluently. 

yes..something like that happened also to me once and since then i am avoiding that auction house

On 5/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, Matches_Malone said:

This is just terrible. I hope there is a happy ending.  

I had a similar experience.  Luckily it was not as bad, but I do remember the disbelief follow by rage when I received the packaging tube containing the piece of art.

What made it worst is the replied I received from the sender after voicing how displease I was.

“I don’t understand what the problem is. This is what I’ve always done. Nobody ever complained before you, you are the first one to complain about that"

Really? >:(

Anyway Good Luck Bird

1.jpg

3.jpg

I had a Frank Quitley page shipped to me from Europe like that once, lost my mind!  Somehow the pasteups stayed on, but I was livid when I got the container.

The seller said I needed to specify to ship flat if that's what I wanted, and that he shipped everything rolled in a tube.

mur.gif

@Bird: I feel really sorry for what happened to you! It's a shame to run art auctions and not being able to pack something as delicate as a page of paper properly!! Do you have any news from Cornette de Saint-Cyr?

Seems like there's business to do as a third party to ship (and maybe even bid and pay) from France to the US hm

Edited by NicoV

23 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

it could have been packed perfectly and still get damaged. Hope your insurance will pay. 

This is true, but there is a much, much higher chance of damage in transit when packed so negligently. I'd say damage was basically guaranteed by that packaging.

5 hours ago, NicoV said:

Do you have any news from Cornette de Saint-Cyr?

No response today.

On 5/14/2017 at 6:58 AM, Mycroft said:

I'm sorry for you.

If I can help with language issues (despite my poor english), I'm available.

(I also happen to be a lawyer if one becomes necessary)

PM sent!

tossed off an email to Bleeding Cool. Not much of a story but they may be interested. Maybe an email from them and one from a lwayer will get some action. Likely not but I am not one to sit down and take it. (Is that a thing? Sitting down and taking it? Well if it is it isn't for me! :sumo:)

5 hours ago, LenCat said:

Sorry to hear about the nightmare scenario. I can't tell how bad the damage is without seeing it but here's how I "repaired" a cover when the same thing happened to me:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=710903

Thanks for the info. I have considered this type of thing but am a bit afraid to do so on the second most expensive piece that I have ever purchased. Maybe someday soon but now it is still painful to look at, so in the Itoya it went. Painful is the wrong word...enraging.