• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French auction
3 3

117 posts in this topic

That is pretty horrible.  I hope they do something.  I can't believe they made you sign a waiver.  I've never heard of anything like that before.  It's almost like they were planning on bad shipping from the beginning.

Edited by Pete Marino

Off the top of my head I think it was 68 euro for shipping.

And I appreciate your empathy but trust me, I am far angrier than the people reading this.

23 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

That is pretty horrible.  I hope they do something.  I can't believe they made you sign a waiver.  I've never heard of anything like that before.  It's almost like they were planning on bad shipping from the beginning.

Yes, I figured it was just a cya thing in case of extreme handling but thought that since they were an auction house they would at least use some diligence and care. I was wrong.

HA! I was more relaxed after putting it in perspective. Life is still good. Then I tweeted that and attached the image for reference. Now that I was looking at it all perfectly clean and beautiful I am mad again. It should look like that for me.

This is a crock of you-know-what. I can't abide a business that won't stand behind anything. What exactly are they in the business of? Taking a cut off of the top is the only service they offer if they don't take any responsibility for something like this.

You absolutely should be angry - I have to think a lot of people on this board would refuse to deal with them if they don't try to make this right.

There is a real difference between "not a professional packer" (although he actually is a professional packer as he is the shipping gentleman at the auction house) and not using common sense standards in packing a piece of art for international transit.

It takes me a while but I often try to condense my reasoning to one or two short statements and what I have above is my perspective at this time. I think any "man on the street" would see it the same way but I don't pretend to have any understanding of the legal standards in France/EU. I sent one email to the auction house who invoiced me, not to the shipper at the auction house, and have left comment on their Facebook page. I will wait until the sun comes up over there to see if there is any response although they were consistently non-communicative in the past.

if worse comes to worst (is that right?) I took French for 4 years in high school. I remember how to say effu in French, although with those Europeans and their formal language it is really "You can go eff yourself". I think it'll do.

Just Kidding. No need for disrespect, just venting.

Bird, are you covered through Collectibles Insurance or a similar policy? If so, I would start the ball rolling with a claim through them as well as following up with the shipper and the auction house.

If anyone knows the consignor, maybe drop them a note and ask them to pressure the auction house to make good. They might be more responsive to their consignors.

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

If anyone knows the consignor, maybe drop them a note and ask them to pressure the auction house to make good. They might be more responsive to their consignors.

Ted Lanting owned it once but I think that may have been before Moy and not after. If such a thing were to happen I would be grateful. I will see if I get a response tomorrow and then the weekend will provide more time for me to get going seriously. But any help is appreciated. And maybe they will learn and improve their packing. The art is ruined and will never be the same. The paper fibers are broken and it goes through Jack Knights face (that one does, there are others) in the middle of the art. It will never be crisp and clean again. Any response that they can provide won't change that. But other things can be achieved so I will definitely continue to communicate with them over this.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Ted Lanting owned it once but I think that may have been before Moy and not after. If such a thing were to happen I would be grateful. I will see if I get a response tomorrow and then the weekend will provide more time for me to get going seriously. But any help is appreciated. And maybe they will learn and improve their packing. The art is ruined and will never be the same. The paper fibers are broken and it goes through Jack Knights face (that one does, there are others) in the middle of the art. It will never be crisp and clean again. Any response that they can provide won't change that. But other things can be achieved so I will definitely continue to communicate with them over this.

First time posting here ...I just went through and read your previous posts...that really sucks man.

Can you clarify something for me? Do you have to sign a waiver that releases the Auction House from any responsibility when shipping? If yes, that just SCREAMS shady. 

This specific instance is reason enough for me to never buy art overseas. I've only purchase art from two reps in the US and they haven't steered me wrong and would NEVER in a thousand years package the art the same way you received yours. That would call for a public crucifixion of the dealers.

That still sucks so bad, man. :(

17 minutes ago, AlphaZulu said:

First time posting here ...I just went through and read your previous posts...that really sucks man.

Can you clarify something for me? Do you have to sign a waiver that releases the Auction House from any responsibility when shipping? If yes, that just SCREAMS shady. 

This specific instance is reason enough for me to never buy art overseas. I've only purchase art from two reps in the US and they haven't steered me wrong and would NEVER in a thousand years package the art the same way you received yours. That would call for a public crucifixion of the dealers.

That still sucks so bad, man. :(

Yes, although it was not stated in the auction terms that I see (looked again today) and was only mentioned after the invoice was settled via wire transfer.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Yes, although it was not stated in the auction terms that I see (looked again today) and was only mentioned after the invoice was settled via wire transfer.

That's so incredibly underhanded.

"Yes, we are selling cars at this establishment. Please sign this waiver stating that once we've received your money we are not held responsible for any faults in the vehicle as soon as you sign it."

8 minutes ago, AlphaZulu said:

That's so incredibly underhanded.

"Yes, we are selling cars at this establishment. Please sign this waiver stating that once we've received your money we are not held responsible for any faults in the vehicle as soon as you sign it."

Which is why I suggest signing a waiver or release doesn't protect them from obviously negligent behavior. That packaging was objectively poor, they should be held liable.

Thanks guys. We'll see what happens. The Fedex claim for international is through the mail and I'll hope to hear from the auction house, cornette de saint cyr. I'll keep you guys informed eventually. Trust me.

Edited by Bird
nice to actually have people who understand

Bird, you've done us all a favor by posting about this situation. Your experience with the auction house -- Cornette de Saint Cyr, right? -- will serve as a warning for anyone even thinking of bidding on their items.

Before the damage, this was a huge win for you. With that in mind, if they offered to take the art back, would you do it?

Sorry to see all this Bird.  

What kind of auction site doesn't know how to package what they're selling and abandons all common sense when shipping valuable, one of a kind art?  And accepting bids and then insisting you sign a waiver absolving them of shipping damage after you've paid for the auction lot is shameful.

As awful as this is for you it's also awful to see one of a kind, historic, works of art damaged, for want of a little common sense and some sturdy packaging.

Edited by thehumantorch