• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, media_junkie said:

3 out of 5.  It was good not great, I was not blown away like the critics seemed to be.

Right?

I read so many 'best DC and DCEU movie ever' reviews I was forced to think higher.

Still, I had fun. I'm right there on the rating too.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Right?

I read so many 'best DC and DCEU movie ever' reviews I was forced to think higher.

Yeah, I'm not sorry I saw the movie, it was fun.  However it is not something I would probably end up doing a repeat viewing of.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh yeah.

And no wasted time on a prison breakout while bullets are flying excessively.

That makes me feel so much better. 

On 8/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Right?

Agreed. I really liked it and was a good ride but I think expectations were pretty high after early reviews.  I’ll see it again in near future and maybe it’ll be better on second viewing.  Same score as media junkie but I’ll see it again. 3/5 

lol King Shark grooving’ in the van to club music. 

Fun movie.  About as good as Guardians except that I liked the characters in Guardians more.  The Rotten Tomatoes average rating pretty much reflects that with a 7.8 for Guardians and a 7.7 for this.

I didn't find Guardians highly re-watchable either, just the kind of movie you watch every 3 or 4 years once you've forgotten most of it.  When it's a jokey/campy movie the jokes/camp aren't as fun the second time, but it's definitely great the first.  Starro looked quite cool, particularly that stumbly, shambly walk he had.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/6/2021 at 12:58 PM, Bill C said:

The pedo director starts the movie by killing an animal. par for the course, I guess.

Those are two very different concepts at play there. And I second the 'huh'? 

He's referring to Gunn's cringeworthy tweets about kids that caused Disney to fire him.  He's got a weird sense of humor so I'm willing to believe he thought he was kidding, but yea, you don't want to go where he tried to go.  :eek:

I told my wife not to watch it with me (I knew she wouldn't like it) but she sat down on the couch to give it a try.

It didn't take long for her to walk away, and as she left..... "How can you stand this? It's horrible."

But..... I really had fun.   I was laughing out loud a few times.  It wasn't perfect, but I really liked it.

Strangely, I think Harlee was my least favorite of the main characters.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:38 PM, gadzukes said:

... "How can you stand this? It's horrible."

If your marriage can withstand it, you should do the same to her the next time she chooses a film

Edited by jsilverjanet

I watched it because it cost me nothing extra, and I enjoyed the first GoTG and Super. I like superhero movies that don't take themselves seriously, so Thor Ragnarok, the first Deadpool, and the first Antman are the ones I've enjoyed in recent years, though I've missed watching many of the rest, especially DCU movies. 

It was okay, the way the second GoTG was okay, enough humor and goofiness to keep me watching. The plot was your basic paint-by-numbers action film with no surprises story, but the cast was good. Maybe I'm getting old but I find it harder to enjoy bloody hyper-violence even if it's done in a slapstick fashion than might have when I was younger, so that got a bit tiresome. I gather it's better than the previous SQ movie, which I don't plan on ever watching, and I can see why people like it, but the reviews are more gushing than it probably deserves. 

THR: Have Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, etc. seen Squad yet?

GUNN: They have not. So hopefully, they’ll see it soon. Kevin and Lou were on set, and the day they came to set, we revealed Starro. I was like, “Oh boy.” I mean, I knew I could trust them, and of course, I was able to trust them.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:38 PM, gadzukes said:

Strangely, I think Harlee was my least favorite of the main characters.

Agreed, she was too over the top relative to the rest of them.