• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, HighVoltage said:

Oh heck yes!

(I predict King Shark survives)

:jaws:

Straight out survival or heroic sacrifice where he's assumed dead but surprise! He made it. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 7/23/2021 at 1:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

I can see how this might work in the course of the movie, if the set-up and timing is right.  Big suspense build-up, then this ridiculous gag payoff coming out of left field.  It just could work. :wishluck:

But I have to say, in isolation of this clip alone, it looks... just... ridiculous.

On the bright side, it does pay homage to this joke Legion of Super-Heroes applicant from the 1980s:  Arm-Fall-Off-Boy.  Time to buy up Secret Origins #46 (1989)?

thumbnail_B4E2633C-0840-403B-8782-43DBD7D0C8A0.thumb.jpg.6db2be038933366d53355e68bb071c7d.jpg

Edited by Zonker

On 7/21/2021 at 5:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

I mean, he's not 100% wrong on the substance. Dark Knight and Winter Soldier were movies featuring superheroes, but also took on other genres in fantastic ways. That type of innovation should be the future. We’ll still get movies with superheroes, but there’s no reason not to try and innovate.

This past weekend saw Gunn and his cast members engage in press interviews for The Suicide Squad. When chatting with Yahoo! Entertainment correspondent Kevin Polowy, Gunn discussed his thought process behind the title of the film, revealing its original name and that he pitched the current one as a joke to WB, who ended up enjoying the idea. See what Gunn revealed below:

"I didn't really know what to call the movie. I didn't want it to be Suicide Squad: Dawn of the Mischief, or Red Whatever. I didn't want it to be something that was this long, awkward title. To be completely honest, it was called Dogs of War for a while, but on my first wrap, when I gave it to the studio, I just thought, 'Ah, screw it, I'll just put The Suicide Squad on it. I thought it was funny and then they were like, 'Yeah, we love this, this works, let's do this.'"

One who seems unlikely to die is Robbie's Harley Quinn, but, as popular as she is, Gunn and the actress didn't feel she needed to be the main character of the film. In an interview with SR, the actress said that, because there are so many characters to focus on, Gunn wanted to give each their moment to shine. Robbie sees Harley as "a catalyst of chaos," one who is in the center of the action, but not necessarily the emotional heart of the film. Audiences are meant to process the emotion of the film with Harley, not because of Harley. Check out Robbie's full statement below:

"Well, look, there's a lot going on in this movie. There's a lot of characters to service, and everyone really does get their moment."

"I see Harley as a catalyst of chaos, and James definitely agreed. She's kind of thrown into situations to shake mess up, but she's not necessarily the emotion. You're not meant to navigate through the emotions of it with her, but she has some surprisingly emotional moments all the same."

"I knew I was in very good hands with James, because I love his films and he's just really smart."

Good on Gunn he didn't let this play into another Harley Quinn movie and the rest of the cast is screen dressing.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, media_junkie said:

Only way I know is if the RT site "threw out"/suppressed a bad review.  

I found out.

Since RT only allows for two ratings (Fresh, Rotten), it didn't know how to account for a mixed review like Metacritic.

TSS_Metacritic2.PNG.f25fb61eab64cd429485e86feec5e710.PNG

So it rated Entertainment Weekly as 'Rotten' and had to change it to 'Fresh' based on its two-rating standard.

:facepalm: