• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2021 at 5:25 PM, Rip said:

Its at 98% with 55 reviews. 

Sounds like DC has a well needed smash hit here.

It's definitely fought to win over critics. Though with Zack Snyder's Justice League, Birds of Prey, Shazam, Aquaman and Wonder Woman (2017) they all ended up Fresh by critics.

DCEU01.PNG.d6ca2c9d79f8a649c6db0ba3982e847b.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

This seems to have reviews that should put it a least on par with WW. (Score wise)
( Although I thought WW was overrated)

I don't expect it to do WW numbers.

COVID, and same day HBO Max (which equals same day torrent) should take a nice sizable chunk out of the Box Office.

Edited by Rip

On 7/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, Rip said:

This seems to have reviews that should put it a least on par with WW.
( Although I thought WW was overrated)

COVID, and same day HBO Max (which equals same day torrent) should take a nice sizable chunk out of the Box Office.

Agreed! Even with Black Widow we saw how that played out as a recent big movie release. Still a very unstable time at the box office.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Rip said:

This seems to have reviews that should put it a least on par with WW.
( I thought WW was overrated)

if it does 1/2 the BO of the other 'movie' with a nearly identical title it will be a victory

Haven't really kept up with this movie other than seeing the trailers on TV.  So from my limited knowledge...looks like they are rehashing the same basic idea from the first movie?...except they are replacing Deadshot with The Gunslinger(shrug).

***This is a "wait and see" movie for me

The Suicide Squad director, James Gunn, claims that the next DC movie he works on would be something fans would not expect. It almost seems like the options are endless after seeing the man tackle projects like Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy and DC’s The Suicide Squad to critical and audience acclaim. But Gunn seems to thrive on surprising his audience, so his choice is sure to be something completely different than what other directors might take in his position.

During Screen Rant’s recent interview with Gunn, he teased that the next DC movie he worked on would be something completely unexpected. The comment came up after he was asked if there were any other corners of the DC universe he would like to explore, to which he promptly said “Yes.” When asked for hints for what that would be, he replied with, "No. It's not what anybody would expect, I'll tell you that much."

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/28/2021 at 7:20 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Please be Gail Simone's Secret Six. That'd be a perfect fit for him. 

PERFECT. 

It's actually been rumored for a little while.

Ah yeah I vaguely recall that, but wrote it off immediately because it wasn't the incarnation I wanted. If you haven't read Gail's SS, you should. It's a hoot. Starts with Villains United, then a miniseries, then an ongoing series from there. Ignore the New 52 version. 

King Shark was also a member of Gail's team, so there's an easy character crossover. Catman's a wonderful character, and someone like Pedro Pascal would have been perfect for the role. Ah so much fun you could have with casting... 

The Suicide Squad is James Gunn's magnum opus: A near pitch-perfect blend of tones and genres, which somehow coalesces to form not only the film of the year so far, but one of the most purely entertaining comic book movies you're ever likely to see. It is brutally violent at times, but what emerges through the array of flying limbs is a surprisingly tender tribute to camaraderie, and an ode to all the despised and misunderstood creatures out there. 

Overall: 5.0/5 stars

Wow!

• "The Suicide Squad" is one the smartest comic-book movies ever. A second watch will make that clear.
  • You don't need to know anything about the 2016 "Suicide Squad" to enjoy this movie.
  • Cena, Robbie, Dastmalchian, Melchior, and Stallone's King Shark are the film's stand-outs.

"The Suicide Squad" is relentlessly unapologetic, wacky and weird, violent and bloody, and darkly humorous. It also has so much heart that you may find yourself fighting back tears by its end.

Not only is "TSS" the strangest comic-book movie you'll ever watch, it's also one of the smartest — you just may not grasp that until a second viewing.

Did we need another "Suicide Squad" movie? Absolutely not. But this is such a bloody damn good time. It's everything you want from an R-rated comic-book movie. 

Overall: A-