• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, paperheart said:

no daily TSS BO update; WB you slay me

I think they are waiting for you to watch the movie first so you can post a review. Like you did with Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984 and Zack Snyder's Justice League.

:baiting:

Or is that not international enough for you?

On 8/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think they are waiting for you to watch the movie first so you can post a review. Like you did with Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984 and Zack Snyder's Justice League.

:baiting:

Or is that not international enough for you?

But he doesn’t have an opinion, he just likes what everyone else likes in pop culture.

7B311B9E-3CF1-4401-AA81-4020A5E9EFC7.png

On 8/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, Scam Likely said:
On 8/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, fastballspecial said:

I thought it was an improvement overall. Harley's love scene was unneeded completely. 
I enjoyed the main villain as a tip to the old Justice League. 

Its not Gunn that made GoG the success by himself it was Marvel. DC needs to rethink their universe or they are just wasting Gunn. 

Again Marvel proves they are the dominate studio even when DC has a talented director.

I disagree, I think Marvel is the Fast and Furious of superhero movies appealing to the masses. No risky moves. At least they put out Winter Soldier which is the only memorable one for me.

Why would Marvel make a risky movie? They are in the business of making money. You don't market to a smaller group to appeal to them. You make a super hero movie to be entertained. Which Marvel movies do very well. Only Wonder Woman from DC kept me entertained the rest only had flashes of a good movie. 

On 8/10/2021 at 5:48 AM, Ken Aldred said:

It is disappointing.  The GOTG were largely unknown to the general public, and yet the film was a great success. You can understand why DC thought that Gunn could replicate that success with the obscure team of comic characters in Suicide Squad, but it hasn’t happened.

the differences are:

1. GoTG was well written

2. The characters are a lot better in the GoTG

So, effectively Gunn had a lot more to work with in the Marvel film.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:19 PM, fastballspecial said:

Why would Marvel make a risky movie? They are in the business of making money. You don't market to a smaller group to appeal to them. You make a super hero movie to be entertained. Which Marvel movies do very well. Only Wonder Woman from DC kept me entertained the rest only had flashes of a good movie. 

That’s the point. They are in it to make money. Nothing  wrong with that. They entertain the masses. But it’s the same old thing. It’s a franchise in the league of F&F and Transformers which I have also grown tired of. Billion dollar box offices the masses love. DC has taken risks and sometimes it’s knocked out of the park and sometimes it falls flat. It hasn’t got as good as The Dark Knight but no Marvel movie has ever come close to that either. I get excited for DC projects knowing they are not trying to sell out and make something for the masses. The Suicide Squad was for the fans. They get my respect for making that decision to lose money by nailing that hard R and of course taking a huge risk. 

On 8/10/2021 at 8:19 PM, fastballspecial said:

GotG was "risky", as a complete unknown to general audiences.

Doctor Strange was "risky" for bringing magic into a universe that they tried to keep 'grounded' (on Earth).

The Eternals is "risky", as it looks boring AF.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Idk, man. You'd have a very hard time convincing me that Cavill's Superman and Shannon's Zod are not as good as Bale's Batman and Ledger's Joker. The performances in both movies are absolutely stellar, and so are the stories. Heath's unexpected acting - and tragedy - elevates the historical significance of TDK, but Man of Steel is certainly up there in the conversation for 'best DC film of all-time'.

I put Man of Steel at number 3 right after Superman 78 even though I’ve rewatched MOS more than the others. 

It appears that reviewers are taking shots at David Ayer so as to show support for James Gunn. But in a way that mirrors what they do with Zack Snyder in making it personal. And ensuring to copy him in some of their posts to make it clear they disliked his film.

:facepalm: