• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

When I read she almost was passed up for the role because she showed up in makeup I was wondering what they were talking about.

daniela-melchior.thumb.jpg.826d362b016b3993c6c62df1ed66f773.jpg

Yeah. I could see how she blew them away if it was another role - but not one where she had to have a rough look about her.

:luhv:

i could watch her voice all day. <3

I assumed after some of the reviews and reactions from friends and other reviewers online that I was going to enjoy this movie......

WelI have to be honest.....This was one of the worst comic book movies I have ever seen. :facepalm:

I almost walked out when Harley Quinn went ninja on 30 guys!   She was terrible in this movie, and really let's use the poor mans Will Smith's character and actor instead with basically the same back story. Idris Elba's acting was forgettable, zero chance he is the next James Bond now. :boo:

I had x2 Free tickets from my movie club, so I used them for this movie.  How ironic I could have stayed home and watched this on HBO Max instead.  At least then I could have clicked back to re-watch the Will Smith one again.

Let's just say James Gunn is nothing without the creative leash of Kevin Feige and the MCU.  Gunn was given way too much creative rope to make this ridiculous outlandish violence and nonsensical X-rated nudity for a DC movie.  DC always plays second fiddle to Marvel as per usual besides Batman.  All the jokes were in the trailers and no one in the audience laughed.  John Cena was also a stiff!

This movie deserved to bomb.  Piece of absolute trash IMO.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

BTW I am not ragging on anyone who liked this movie.  I am glad you did but man I have not been this pissed off about a movie since Last Jedi lol 

I see you haven't seen Rise Of Skywalker. 

On 8/21/2021 at 11:09 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I assumed after some of the reviews and reactions from friends and other reviewers online that I was going to enjoy this movie......

WelI have to be honest.....This was one of the worst comic book movies I have ever seen. :facepalm:

I almost walked out when Harley Quinn went ninja on 30 guys!   She was terrible in this movie, and really let's use the poor mans Will Smith's character and actor instead with basically the same back story. Idris Elba's acting was forgettable, zero chance he is the next James Bond now. :boo:

I had x2 Free tickets from my movie club, so I used them for this movie.  How ironic I could have stayed home and watched this on HBO Max instead.  At least then I could have clicked back and re-watch the Will Smith one again.

Let's just say James Gunn is nothing without the creative leash of Kevin Feige and the MCU.  Gunn was given way too much creative rope to make this ridiculous outlandish violence and nonsensical X-rated nudity for a DC movie.  DC always plays second fiddle to Marvel as per usual besides Batman.  All the jokes were in the trailers and no one in the audience laughed.  John Cena was also a stiff!

On 8/21/2021 at 11:43 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

BTW I am not ragging on anyone who liked this movie.  I am glad you did but man I have not been this pissed off about a movie since Last Jedi lol 

Oh it is clear why after that Black Widow comment...

On 8/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Exactly!  Black Widow for me exceeded my expectations!  I loved this movie! 

You waited and the studio logo you desired didn't come up...

MCU_intro.gif.1399d7a7b83984b9c8d023ba77b201f1.gif

:baiting: :foryou:

On 8/23/2021 at 3:14 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

ROS was a masterpiece compared to Last Jedi.

Obviously the whole sequel trilogy was trash like Kathleen Kennedy's over rated career. 

'Somhow, Palpatine Has Returned..' 

That's why I think Rise of Skywalker was more entertaining than The Last Jedi, even though it wasn't a good movie. I enjoy watching Palpatine cackling and the action was better, but the -script was terrible. It made no sense in the context of the OT and even the Prequels.

On 8/22/2021 at 1:14 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

ROS was a masterpiece compared to Last Jedi.

Obviously the whole sequel trilogy was trash like Kathleen Kennedy's over rated career. 

Well, Kathleen Kennedy was producer on some of the greatest fantasy-adventure popcorn movies of the past four decades including E.T., Jurassic Park, and M Knight Shyamalan's only decent movie, The Sixth Sense.

And anything Star Wars done outside the Original Trilogy movies runs into the same problem , if you dig too deep into the universe of that Original Trilogy, there's just not a whole lot there that's substantive. The OT was basically a collection of well written characters in a popcorn fantasy adventure movie that took a lot of inspiration from other movies. George Lucas was right. There really isn't much of a story to Star Wars beyond the Original Trilogy movies he made. The horrible Prequel movies were just an unfortunate attempt to add a little substance to it (while making George a lot of money) which failed in the opinion of many people, but which Disney really has no choice but to double down on.

IMO, anything Star Wars done after Return of the Jedi is just a fancy fan film, and that includes The Mandolorian.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:15 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, Kathleen Kennedy was producer on some of the greatest fantasy-adventure popcorn movies of the past four decades including E.T., Jurassic Park, and M Knight Shyamalan's only decent movie, The Sixth Sense.

And anything Star Wars done outside the Original Trilogy movies runs into the same problem , if you dig too deep into the universe of that Original Trilogy, there's just not a whole lot there that's substantive. The OT was basically a collection of well written characters in a popcorn fantasy adventure movie that took a lot of inspiration from other movies. George Lucas was right. There really isn't much of a story to Star Wars beyond the Original Trilogy movies he made. The horrible Prequel movies were just an unfortunate attempt to add a little substance to it (while making George a lot of money) which failed in the opinion of many people, but which Disney really has no choice but to double down on.

IMO, anything Star Wars done after Return of the Jedi is just a fancy fan film, and that includes The Mandolorian.

Rogue One, Mandalorian, Rebels, Clone Wars (granted, it took a few seasons) are all real Star Wars afaic. They've got all the elements of their respective eras down pat. Mando even tries to show us the government situation, something that the sequel trilogy never really does (we're in charge so here's a small scruffy splinter group to fight this Empire looking thing, no you'll never hear from us ever again) 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Rogue One, Mandalorian, Rebels, Clone Wars (granted, it took a few seasons) are all real Star Wars afaic. They've got all the elements of their respective eras down pat. Mando even tries to show us the government situation, something that the sequel trilogy never really does (we're in charge so here's a small scruffy splinter group to fight this Empire looking thing, no you'll never hear from us ever again) 

I absolutely hated Rogue One. It's biggest sin for me? It belittled what Luke Skywalker did in A New Hope. The Death Star had a built-in destruct button all along and all that needed to happen was somebody to come along and push it? Okay, so only Luke could push said button, but then if it was designed by Jyn's dad to be a self-destruct button, why did he make it so difficult to push that only a one in a million youth who happened to be one of only six beings in the universe who could wield the Force could make the one in a million shot? I didn't even like the overdone final light saber scene starring Darth Vader.

The cartoons are nice, but they're just that, cartoons.

And while I did like many episodes of the Mandolorian, it's still just a fancy Star Wars fan film to me. What is Mando but a stand-in for a beloved character from Empire Strikes Back? And what is Baby Yoda but a baby version of a beloved character from Empire Strikes Back? You know what else is good? That Cops-parody Troops short from a couple decades ago.

Troops is a classic, essential viewing back in the day. As for the other stuff, I disagree with you, but guess what? You're allowed to have your own opinion, and I'm not going to force mine down your throat. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

starwars01.jpg.d2fa6bd49775e1c05fe1239e6333f281.jpg

On 8/21/2021 at 9:09 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I had x2 Free tickets from my movie club, so I used them for this movie.  How ironic I could have stayed home and watched this on HBO Max instead.  At least then I could have clicked back and re-watch the Will Smith one again.

You and I are in the same camp as I hated the film as well. It seems to be the type of film you either love (like many of our fellow CGC board members) or you disliked it.

I tend to not like gore as humor, which the Suicide Squad was full of.

I also felt it lacked a compelling story of any kind. Polka Dot guy made me think of the Skittles commercial with the infection spreading to the girl that pulls a candy off the kid's face.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, Artboy99 said:

You and I are in the same camp as I hated the film as well. It seems to be the type of film you either love (like many of our fellow CGC board members) or you disliked it.

I also felt it lacked a compelling story of any kind. Polka Dot guy made me think of the Skittles commercial with the infection spreading to the girl that pulls a candy off the kid's face.

Maybe next time they can add the Zebra Batman and Clock King.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Artboy99 said:

Yes, for me this movie had no good redeeming aspects about it besides Starro which was a good choice for the overall main villain.  Gore/nudity makes sense in some movies, but agreed this movie isn't one of them.  James Gunn just added both for utterly absurd reactions that were not needed.

I just don't see any benefit from a DC executive green-lighting a comic book DC movie with X rated nudity and R-rated gore.  It's not easily marketable to have continued continuity movies be so inconsistent with its viewing ratability.  As a parents you have to vet out some of these movies and be like, "Well kids at home you can watch this one, but not this one." :screwy:

MCU has it flaws but they are consistent through out which leads to wider audiences enjoying them all (aka millions more money for Disney), while the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (as per usual) at DC/Warner Bros let this insufficiently_thoughtful_person James Gunn put a non-needed full frontal nudity shot in a comic book movie.  Imagine watching Iron Man 1 and then in Iron Man 2 a Tony Stark sex scene becomes X-rated out of no-where that is basically what happened here.  I understand the movie was rated R and it not for kids, but this left such a bad taste in my mouth and new lack of respect for James Gunn.  Without Kevin Feige controlling him IMO he is a hack.   

Edited by NewWorldOrder