• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do for a checklist when you are out and about?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

printed list from word but only take that to cons/shows......norm print a new one every 6mo/1yr depending on how meny books i've grabbed and cluttered it becomes with notes and scribbles.  lol it's up to date on what i've picked up already but have to wait for a new print out for anything newly added (the drawback)

i also keep a copy on my phone with an app that will open word doc's incase i'm out and run into books or fell like box diveing at my LCS

imo the phone is a bad idea at cons/shows bc of battery.......whats the point of it if your phone needs to be charged half way through the day and instead of enjoying the con/show your stuck next to a wall waiting on your phone to charge.  personaly i have a pocket battery that i could hook it up to if needed but not a fan of carrying it around

Collectorz CLZ app. Just throw what I have in my collection & anything I'm on the hunt for in the "wish list" portion & it's done. Eats up a lot of memory if you have a big collection (10k+ books between collection & wishlist uses about 1.2GB on my phone) but it's absolutely worth it. Crowd sourced database, so rare stuff sometimes doesn't even show up if nobody has made the effort to add it, but you can add it if you know it exists. I use the phone app for adding/editing things on the account & then I'll do some of the more in-depth functions that are only available on the desktop version when I get to my laptop at home later (mostly organizational stuff)

On 18/02/2017 at 4:55 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I can remember the books I still need, the gaps I need to fill.  

At any one time I'm not searching for a particularly wide range of material, anyway.

On 18/02/2017 at 10:18 PM, lou_fine1 said:

Based upon personal experience, going from strict memory is not necessarily a good idea in the long run.  Especially since I've been collecting for decades and you end up picking up duplicate HG copies of what were common books such as Batman 232, Thor 165, Marvel Premiere #3, etc. that you were chasing after once before.  doh!  :censored: 

Of course, if you wait long enough, some of these purchasing mistakes like the ones above could turn into winners if you are lucky enough.  :wishluck::banana:

Seem to have no problem remembering my GA books probably because they were more expensive and so much tougher to find, but when it came to the cheaper and common BA and CA books for only a few dollars a piece back then, very easy to lose track of what you have and don't have. 

As with Dave / Oakman, there's a very limited number of books which I'm interested in at any particular time, and only single issues rather than long runs, and so it's relatively easy for me to keep track of what I still need.  I'm not implying that I'm a key collector, just certain issues which have always meant a lot to me, story or art or character-wise, which makes them memorable enough without writing anything down or using smartphone software.

I have an excel spreadsheet in my dropbox, which I can access via the app on my phone. For many, many years I carried a wrinkled, dog-eared, folded up piece of paper in my wallet, but those days are thankfully gone.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:20 PM, Itosukai said:

I have the Collectorz app on my phone with my whole collection entered into it. Well, I entered it on my computer with the windows edition of the app, and then I can sync it to my iphone app. I enter comics I want putting them into a wanted list which I can access anytime, offline as well. Or I can search my collection to see if I already have what I'm looking at or what shape/grade it is in and what I paid for it to see if I should get the LCS or garage sale one in front of me.

Oh yes, best part, when entering an issue, if it is in their database already, it will come with a picture of the front and sometimes the back as well. You can add your own cover pic if it isn't in their database.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:06 AM, Lt. Eckhardt said:

Collectorz looks cool.  A friend of mine swears by that for his movie collection. Anyone here use Comic Book Relm.com?    I like how it tracks values and you can kind of keep track of books you own but wow is that site slow and clunky.

I use Collectorz app - it's great.  It synch's with my PC so I have a snapshot of my collection on my phone all the time.  I don't have to be online to get to it either, it's resident on the phone itself.  I would highly recommend it.

http://www.collectorz.com/comic/

Edited by JazzMan

I have a gigantic hard copy binder.  Since my out and about these days usually means monitoring the CGC Boards and eBay from a different computer, it works out for me.

I used to keep a list of 'hot books' in my notes on my phone, and then have a spreadsheet of my collection to find stuff I needed there (by looking at gaps in my entries). And then, usually Ebay completed sales to check pricing on moderns I wasn't real familiar with.

On 2/21/2017 at 7:08 AM, lizards2 said:

I have a gigantic hard copy binder.  Since my out and about these days usually means monitoring the CGC Boards and eBay from a different computer, it works out for me.

That's exactly the way I go.  I used Excel to create checklists of every title I collect, and highlight each issue when I pick them up (with grade notations on anything early/copper-late bronze or older).  I have a lot of pages in the binder (over 100), but I need a list because I could never go by memory alone on what I'm missing now.

I carry the binder anytime I'm out and have the opportunity to look.

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:
On 2/21/2017 at 5:08 AM, lizards2 said:

That's exactly the way I go.  I used Excel to create checklists of every title I collect, and highlight each issue when I pick them up (with grade notations on anything early/copper-late bronze or older).  I have a lot of pages in the binder (over 100), but I need a list because I could never go by memory alone on what I'm missing now.

I carry the binder anytime I'm out and have the opportunity to look.

I have these hardcopy inventory sheets that I bought 35 years ago from Mike Richardson when he had a store in Bend, OR.  You could buy a tablet of 50 of them - now I make copies of those sheets.  I had a bunch of stuff inventoried in Word documents, but those files got lost in computer changes / storage device changes.  I've got a three-inch binder, so am thinking quite few sheets.