• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That is $403,058 for 9 books! I think Jon owes every comic collector in the world a beer when this is all said and done. I have to say, CC has done an incredible job of pimping this auction. Maybe the best comic book auction ever...

I don't know if anyone cares, however, just in case, my math has the total at $704,731 for the first 10 books in the Action run.

So that is over 1.1M between the two.

2 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I don't know if anyone cares, however, just in case, my math has the total at $704,731 for the first 10 books in the Action run.

So that is over 1.1M between the two.

wow ! add the tecs and you jump to 1.5

Edited by Gotham Kid

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
1 hour ago, buttock said:

I know where at least 2 of them ended up.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 & 22 went to the same place given the Hitler theme, but that's purely speculation.    

It did appear that there were some timely bids put in on those. hm

Congrats if they both went to West. :applause:

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That is $403,058 for 9 books! I think Jon owes every comic collector in the world a beer when this is all said and done. I have to say, CC has done an incredible job of pimping this auction. Maybe the best comic book auction ever...

And Chuck had the entire Fantastic run listed at the outrageous price of $1,035 in his original MH catalogue.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

And to think that most collectors were balking at his prices back then because he had the nerve to charge premiums or in some cases, even multiples of guide for books which was unheard of at the time.  Not sure when his MH catalogue came out, but the 1977 Overstreet had the entire Fantastic run (exc. the 17 to 19) at only $706.  Only a 46% premium to top of guide which is peanuts compared to what we saw yesterday. 

Edited by lou_fine

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

'Pimping'? You mean these books are (gasp) selling themselves?!?! :kidaround:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone have the hammer prices on ALL the Fantastic issues ? The only one discussed was the 3.

Peter;

I can get this later for you when I get back home, if somebody hasn't already done it by then.

Well, here is the complete list for you:

1  ---  $66,000

2  ---  $96,609   My bad as it went for only $9,609

3  ---  $243,000

4  ---  $6,409

5  ---  $23,956

6  ---  $8,009

7  ---  $7,266

8  ---  $9,567

9  ---  $4,109

10 ---  $4,800

11  ---  $4,800

12  ---  $3,505

13  ---  $2,900

14  ---  $2,250

15  ---  $4,000

16  ---  $3,100

17  --- $410  (Not a Church copy)

18  --- $500  (Not a Church copy)

19  ---  $1,050  (Not a Church copy)

20  ---  $1,153

21  --- $15,200

22  ---  $26,609

23  ---  $3,900

Looks like the entire run went for $452,102 as it looks like the 9 books that were already pointed out up above accounted for the bulk of this total.

Edited by lou_fine

Fantastic books, I love them all, but the Fantastic, Tec and the Frazettas ...and the Contact, and...and...are spectacular:)

I won this one with a tracking bid, I was a little surprised, but I've never owned a book from 1937, so it's neat:)

cra2.196a.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I can't believe a #2 went for 100k, yowza.

No, that was only me with some wishful thinking during the excitement since I've got a issue #2 in possibly equivalent condition to this Church copy here.

Since the Church copy sold for only the piddly amount of $9,609 it probably means my non-pedigree copy is only worth $960.90.  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Peter (thumbsu I would think you now better save for a 27 if you can.

A LOT of effort will need to go into that one. :eek:

Edited by Gotham Kid

13 minutes ago, woowoo said:

The 28 look's out of place don't you think.(shrug)

You should have taken the Berk 28. Something tells me I know who likely picked up the copy and will certainly be flipping it for 12-14K within the next few weeks on his web site.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I though $66K was a relatively strong price for issue #1, although it is a first issue appearance and origin along with being a mind blowing 9.8 graded copy from 1939.  Absolutely love how dynamic and 3D like this cover is with Samson busting right out from the cover in all its red color glory.  :cloud9:

Makes me regret passing up on the Larson copy which Fisher had offered to me for $5K within a hour of picking it up from Overstreet and Geppi for only something like $3K or thereabouts.  I probably should have grabbed it on the spot, but Steve was a bit hesitant and kind of said that he wanted to take it back to confirm its authenticity.  Somehow, I got the feeling that it would have been a bit more than $5K if he could confirm it was the Larson copy, which it was in the end.  :censored:

It sure would have looked nice as a pair with my issue #2.  Not a big deal at the time since I was really more after the Big 2 which I considered to be the Mystery Men and the Wonderworld's.  Live and learn.  doh!

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

You should have taken the Berk 28. Something tells me I know who likely picked up the copy and will certainly be flipping it for 12-14K within the next few weeks on his web site.

I would have went 8500 on the book but had to get my kid from her bahamas senior trip. I would have bid 8500 but than the book would have went over 10k:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
14 minutes ago, woowoo said:

The 28 look's out of place don't you think.(shrug)

You should have taken the Berk 28. Something tells me I know who picked up the copy and will certainly be flipping it for 12-14K within the next couple weeks on his web site.

Yes indeed, I was absolutely shocked at how low the 'Tec 28 sold for, even though it is a PLOD copy here with Moderate restoration.  :whatthe:

Certainly one of the tougher pre-Robin 'Tec books to find out there, although there have been a few popping up in the marketplace during the past couple of years.  From these prices for this book, definitely still a highly underappreciated book, considering that it is after all is said and done, still the second appearance of the Batman.  :luhv: