• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

I guess if you're going to bid on books in a Berk auction you ought to pick up at least one Larson.  One of the first articles on the GA I can recall reading was about Frank Thomas and his work on the Owl.  Don't remember what fanzine it was in.  Maybe Alter Ego?

cra2.206a.jpg

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I guess if you're going to bid on books in a Berk auction you ought to pick up at least one Larson.  One of the first articles on the GA I can recall reading was about Frank Thomas and his work on the Owl.  Don't remember what fanzine it was in.  Maybe Alter Ego?

cra2.206a.jpg

My thinking exactly Tony (on the Larson front). Nice one!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

cra2.206a.jpg

Building up a nice haul there Tony!

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

IMG_3777.PNG

Anyone have the hammer prices on ALL the Fantastic issues ? The only one discussed was the 3.

There was quite a lot of buzz around them and just curious how they performed.

A link to the issues could also work.

Thanks.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, 1koko said:

I tried to win a few.

Did win the #16

So, that was you I was competing against for the FC 16 before I finally dropped out.  :slapfight:

I was actually more interested in the FC 15 before it went somewhere I didn't want it to go. :mad:

Thought both of these books would have gone cheaper since they were only 8.5 graded copies, but no chance of that happening in the end.

Congrats on your FC 16 with the nice deep purples.  (thumbsu 

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

When the auction listing first came out, I really only had 1 book in mind that I would absolutely be taking home, no matter the price.  Glad it was a cheap one. :banana: 

exc1.469a.jpg

One killer rare and cool funny book! Congrats!

39 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone have the hammer prices on ALL the Fantastic issues ? The only one discussed was the 3.

Thanks.

Somehow I lost the #1, I think that was $63K

2 -- 9609

3 -- 243000

4 -- 6409

5 -- 23956

6 -- 8009

7 -- 7266

21 -- 15200

22 -- 26609

Those are the ones I had in my watch list.  

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

cra2.206a.jpg

Believe me I've been trying Tony... Luckily, I've got a few Larsons already. Sure would love to own just one of Jons. I guess there is always the strip reprint books but even those have been nose bleed prices. Nice book. Those Crackajacks are cool and underrated.

39 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Peter;

I can get this later for you when I get back home, if somebody hasn't already done it by then.

I do know that the FC 1 went for $66K, the FC 2 for something like $9,609, the FC 5 for almost $24K, and the FC 15 & 16 for $4K and $3,100 respectively since I was bidding on these last 2 books.

5 minutes ago, buttock said:

49 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Thanks.

2 -- 9609

3 -- 243000

4 -- 6409

5 -- 23956

6 -- 8009

7 -- 7266

FC 15 & 16 for $4K and $3,100 respectively

21 -- 15200

22 -- 26609

Thanks you to both @lou_fine and @buttock

So it seems the collection was indeed broken up.

Wonder who took home the 5 and 22.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

Thank you.

So it seems the collection was indeed broken up.

I know where at least 2 of them ended up.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 & 22 went to the same place given the Hitler theme, but that's purely speculation.    

31 minutes ago, buttock said:

I know where at least 2 of them ended up.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 & 22 went to the same place given the Hitler theme, but that's purely speculation.    

It did appear that there were some timely bids put in on those. hm

33 minutes ago, buttock said:

2 -- 9609

3 -- 243000

4 -- 6409

5 -- 23956

6 -- 8009

7 -- 7266

21 -- 15200

22 -- 26609

That is $403,058 for 9 books! I think Jon owes every comic collector in the world a beer when this is all said and done. I have to say, CC has done an incredible job of pimping this auction. Maybe the best comic book auction ever...

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That is $403,058 for 9 books! I think Jon owes every comic collector in the world a beer when this is all said and done. I have to say, CC has done an incredible job of pimping this auction. Maybe the best comic book auction ever...

Pretty spectacular, no?  That probably pushes the whole run up to around $500K.  I never would have guessed the Church run of Fantastic Comics would be worth that.  

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Well, yeah, until the Robot Man collection hits the market.  They'll need a catalog the size of the Manhattan phone directory.

Do they still print a Manhattan phone directory?  Ok, then it will be the size of the Sears catalog! Oh, ah, anyway ... it will be really thick!