• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Hudson said:
38 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Hudson here is a pic so you know it can be done.

newsstand-Action-1.jpg

Great Photo!

+1

First time I see this one. What a pic !!

Hurt my wrist scrolling down that long list of Berk's slabbed and raw comics. Could not figure out a way to screen Comic Connect site for Berk's GA or 1950s comics only to avoid the more common SA and Valiant comics. :idea:

2 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Hurt my wrist scrolling down that long list of Berk's slabbed and raw comics. Could not figure out a way to screen Comic Connect site for Berk's GA or 1950s comics only to avoid the more common SA and Valiant comics. :idea:

I like having those books in there.  Gives me time to fill in a few more online loan applications so I can fund my next bids. 

11 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
42 minutes ago, Hudson said:
50 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Hudson here is a pic so you know it can be done.

newsstand-Action-1.jpg

Great Photo!

+1

Can somebody ask the old guy to scoot over a bit and scoop up the 3 books near the bottom right for me?  :takeit:  lol

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Fantastic books, I love them all, but the Fantastic, Tec and the Frazettas ...and the Contact, and...and...are spectacular:)

I won this one with a tracking bid, I was a little surprised, but I've never owned a book from 1937, so it's neat:)

cra2.196a.jpg

Neat book - always nice to win for a tracking bid. It seems a handful of less obvious books are being picked up for great prices, lost in all the hoopla over Church copies, hot titles, and classic covers. 

29 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

+1

The Action #1s are unfortunately added with Photoshop. The original pic exists without them. (From memory, I think the photo predates 1938 by a few years too.)

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I would have went 8500 on the book but had to get my kid from her bahamas senior trip. I would have bid 8500 but than the book would have went over 10k:facepalm:

Yeah, I was right on that Fantastic 3 but my dog peeded on the floor and I looked back and it was gone! 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

And on the few that qualify that I'm looking at the resto is limited to tear seals.  I can have it removed and expect maybe a point or two drop in a blue label case. 

Yeah, it amazes me the prices being paid for conserved, resto, even 0.5 copies that would usually be scorned. It's that CC and Berk magic I tell you...

8 minutes ago, Point Five said:

The Action #1s are unfortunately added with Photoshop. The original pic exists without them. (From memory, I think the photo predates 1938 by a few years too.)

I think your right. I could not find any of the other books under 1938 thru 1940 on ebay. But this looks real

newsstand-Action-9-Tec-24-Adventure.jpg

Edited by woowoo

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And Chuck had the entire Fantastic run listed at the outrageous price of $1,035 in his original MH catalogue.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

And to think that most collectors were balking at his prices back then because he had the nerve to charge premiums or in some cases, even multiples of guide for books which was unheard of at the time.  Not sure when his MH catalogue came out, but the 1977 Overstreet had the entire Fantastic run (exc. the 17 to 19) at only $706.  Only a 46% premium to top of guide which is peanuts compared to what we saw yesterday. 

Nobody wanted books like that back then. Heck, even Tarzan, Flash Gordon and Prince Valiant were much more popular and worth way more.

6 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Did anyone here win the Exciting Comics #3 6.5? Finished at $1213. I thought that was a real honey of a book.

I was the underbidder.  It's a great looking copy, but a recent 7.0 went for under $800.  I didn't see the extra 50% in this copy.  

12 minutes ago, buttock said:

I was the underbidder.  It's a great looking copy, but a recent 7.0 went for under $800.  I didn't see the extra 50% in this copy.  

(thumbsu

Kinda wish I'd seen that 7.0! I guess I haven't tracked this one in awhile.

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Dimensions look wrong too, AC1 looks far too big.