• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should Con dealers beat/match online prices?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

"I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life."

4 minutes ago, kav said:

(tsk)

in·fal·li·ble
inˈfaləb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: infallible
  1. incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.
    "doctors are not infallible"
    synonyms: unerring, unfailing, faultless, flawless, impeccable, perfect, precise, accurate, meticulous, scrupulous
    "an infallible sense of timing"
    • never failing; always effective.
      "infallible cures"

14 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
in·fal·li·ble
inˈfaləb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: infallible
  1. incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.
    "doctors are not infallible"
    synonyms: unerring, unfailing, faultless, flawless, impeccable, perfect, precise, accurate, meticulous, scrupulous
    "an infallible sense of timing"
    • never failing; always effective.
      "infallible cures"

Technically infallible should mean fallible because inflammable means flammable....

On 3/17/2017 at 9:40 PM, kav said:

Technically infallible should mean fallible because inflammable means flammable....

English is great, isn’t it?

Throw the strict rules in the trash.

Without reading all 7 pages, I would just say No, period.

A seller has every right no matter what their reasons are, to ask what ever they want.

A buyer has every right to say no.

Try taking an old comic into a 7-11 and offer to trade it for a carton of milk. Ultimately, that will determine it’s true value…

Different overheads, possibly they can’t.

Haven’t read the entire thread myself, but that’s a fundamental.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/23/2024 at 8:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Without reading all 7 pages, I would just say No, period.

A seller has every right no matter what their reasons are, to ask what ever they want.

A buyer has every right to say no.

Try taking an old comic into a 7-11 and offer to trade it for a carton of milk. Ultimately, that will determine it’s true value…

(shrug)

image.gif.9c812c1eb6a1af7bd56e39d919269541.gif

Of course, if there was some magic price and everyone everywhere was expected to meet it, then comic book prices would never rise, or fall, over time.  The "market" would cease to be and forever stay stagnant.

On the other hand, I always thought it was a bit weird that con prices tend to be higher then elsewhere.  In a normal world, it would seem if you bring a bunch of dealers together into one place, competing directly with each other, often with a lot of the same stock, it would drive prices down.  But it doesn't seem to work that way with collectibles.  

I am not a convention goer - but I always figured that prices at cons were lower than online/Ebay/Auction House prices? Is this not correct?

On 4/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, Bookery said:

Of course, if there was some magic price and everyone everywhere was expected to meet it, then comic book prices would never rise, or fall, over time.  The "market" would cease to be and forever stay stagnant.

On the other hand, I always thought it was a bit weird that con prices tend to be higher then elsewhere.  In a normal world, it would seem if you bring a bunch of dealers together into one place, competing directly with each other, often with a lot of the same stock, it would drive prices down.  But it doesn't seem to work that way with collectibles.  

I think overall there is more inventory/more competition online that can drive prices down. At a con the time is brief, the inventory not as deep, and even if dealers have the same product the buyers have to be able to find it all and be patient enough to compare all the prices before making/negotiating a purchase.  It's a carp-ton easier to do that online, for sures.

Keep in mind that 95 percent of all exhibitors at a con are professional dealers. On Ebay many collectors are selling things cheaper because they aren't doing it for a living. Plus there is a form of price fixing in that if somebody is selling something at a big discount a dealer will probably buy it before the show starts and the general public gets in. In the old days at cons there were more people just selling their collections in a one shot deal. Now the same people sell at show after show which makes getting bargains more difficult. There are exceptions for the kind of obscure books that Robot Man loves since many mainstream dealers will put some stuff in boxes that they don't really know how rare or scarce it is. However finding a super bargain at a show for a Hulk 181 or Spider-Man 129 is few and far between.

We stopped selling at conventions this year. With table costs rising every year it’s tough to make a decent profit at them. We are doing fine with our brick and mortar shop, eBay and instagram sales. About prices at our shop- it’s tough and time consuming to reprice thousands of books when the market fluctuates constantly. What we do is take offers on books and discount them as well. If a customer pulls up a book on eBay at a lower price we’re happy to match or even beat that price. You have to be realistic unless you really don’t want to sell comics. A customer can go online and get a book for cheaper so you gotta match those prices.