• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mispronounciations

83 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

"Sienkiewicz" is the one that threw me for a loop as a youngster. It's funny now but I thought it was pronounced "Sign Key Wicks" instead of "Sin Kev Itch"

I was talking to PedigreeMan at a show once about Sienkiewicz. I had a complete  brain fart and combined his name with Doug Mientkiewicz' (the baseball player) name and pronounced it Sin KAY vitch. I have never seen a look of such disgust on a comic geek's face before or since.

I think I mangled most of the names in the Tolkien books.

The one I heard from someone else that made me laugh, was when the group went to the Mines of Moriah.  That was one of the few that I apparently got right.

Just now, Dave2739 said:

You can all pronounce Submariner however you want and I'll keep calling Ra's al Ghul "Roz Al Gool". The way it's pronounced in the cartoon sounds dumb to me.

Ok htf do they pernounce it in the cartoon?

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Something like "Raish al Gool". Never sounded right to me. And by "the cartoon", I specifically mean Batman: The Animated Series from the 90s.

1 minute ago, Dave2739 said:

Something like "Raish al Gool". Never sounded right to me. And by "the cartoon", I specifically mean Batman: The Animated Series from the 90s.

jesus christ

2 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

They pronounced that one "Jeezus Kriest". I guess I'm used to that one by now. 

Surprised they didn't pernounce Batman 'Byetmoon'

Most of the collectors and dealers I knew in the UK during the 80s couldn't figure out the pronunciation of John Totleben's surname. They tended to go for total-ben or tottle-ben, whereas I went for the more Germanic tote-layben.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, kav said:

... john byrne john bryne...

I recall some over here nicknaming him 'Salty'.

8 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Mister Mxyzptlk -  I have been saying Mister MxYZptlk  

Now you're just being silly.  

Keep it up! ?

2 hours ago, Foley said:

When I first came to Ireland, I called a guy (Bernard) "Bur-nard" and he wasn't too impressed. Apparently, over here, it's "Bur-nerd." Go figure.

IMG_5384.JPG

2 hours ago, Foley said:

When I first came to Ireland, I called a guy (Bernard) "Bur-nard" and he wasn't too impressed. Apparently, over here, it's "Bur-nerd." Go figure.

Irish Celtic pronounciation is often surprising, but very interesting. 

Another classic example is Cat Yronwode's surname, for which I've heard e-ron-woder, i-ron-woder, e-ron-voder, i-ron-voder or iron-wood.  

14 minutes ago, JAM_NYC said:

IMG_5384.JPG

:roflmao:

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Irish Celtic pronounciation is often surprising, but very interesting. 

It is indeed, and don't even bother trying to sound out an Irish word phonetically, it rarely gets you close.

The female name Aoife is a good example. Way too many vowels. (pronounced eee-fuh)

10 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

10 hours ago, kav said:

It's been done both ways. When O'Neil first came up with the character, he was pronouncing it Raaz based on the Arabic translation he'd been given, but without the correct pronunciation. Later (much later, I believe), he found out the "correct" pronunciation in the Arabic tongue was more "Raish", so the conundrum is, do you go with the creator's originally-intended pronunciation or what is the technically-correct version? I flip-flop. Po-TAY-to al Ghul, Po-TAH-to al Ghul. Just don't try to walk ahead of the master and you're good.