• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mispronounciations

83 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I remember as a kid arguing with a friend that it was not Mag-net-o but Mag-neet-o and he wouldn't budge. Even after he saw an espisode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends where Stan Lee clearly pronounced it Mag-neet-o he claimed " Stan's saying it wrong" lol

I know people like that

Me and my buddy argued about pronunciation of Arrakis for years.  He thought it was air-uh-kiss.  when we saw the film when they say arrak-is he went DAMN!

Edited by kav

Just now, Logan510 said:

Are you saying it's sub-marine-er?

yep.  I dont like it either man.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Stan Lee says it the other way, I'll go with him :)

Edited by Logan510

Yeah the Magneto and Sub-Mariner are tricky, I've heard it pronounced both ways.  Macca pronounced it Mag-nee-to in his song.

Isn't Herb Trimpe's name pronounced "Trimp-ey"?  I remember reading a Bullpen Bulletins that pronounced it that way.

Edited by Unca Ben
spelling

8 minutes ago, kav said:

9 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Are you saying it's sub-marine-er?

So Ken Griffey Jr played for the Seattle Mar-een-ers? :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Stan Lee says it the other way, I'll go with him :)

well since it's a name he can say it any way he likes.  I agree.  If I name my kid Xyzzzsaz but say it's pronounced 'Bob', then Bob it is after all.

I'm gonna start pronouncing submarine sub-merrin.

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, Themorethingschange said:

If you want to be wrong, go ahead. As mentioned, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Iron Maiden and the city of Seattle all got it right.

I've read plenty sources that point to ol' Sam Coleridge's reading as the progenitor.  But I'm going with Stan the Man over a Romantic Age poet, a rock band, and the City of Coffee.

P.S.  PBM?  PMBs always have such strong opinions.  (:

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, Themorethingschange said:

If you want to be wrong, go ahead. As mentioned, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Iron Maiden and the city of Seattle all got it right.

but if Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Iron Maiden and the city of Seattle all went for a ride on a ship that can submerge under water called a submarine, are you saying it is pronounced sub-mare-in ?

Submariner is just a Submarine with an "r" so Sub-mar-een-er and I am sticking to it :sumo: