• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mispronounciations

83 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

My buddy growing up loved Conan comics.  He pronounced it "Kah-nan".  I kept telling him it was "Cone-an".  Finally the 1st Conan movie came out and settled that argument.

Conan was another one we got wrong. We said Con-un not the Coe-nan it turned out to be in the film. I just can't bring myself to say Coe-nan in public.

Great music opened that film though. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure......

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Conan was another one we got wrong. We said Con-un not the Coe-nan it turned out to be in the film. I just can't bring myself to say Coe-nan in public.

Great music opened that film though. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure......

I'm with Coco ! lol

12 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

It's been done both ways. When O'Neil first came up with the character, he was pronouncing it Raaz based on the Arabic translation he'd been given, but without the correct pronunciation. Later (much later, I believe), he found out the "correct" pronunciation in the Arabic tongue was more "Raish", so the conundrum is, do you go with the creator's originally-intended pronunciation or what is the technically-correct version? I flip-flop. Po-TAY-to al Ghul, Po-TAH-to al Ghul. Just don't try to walk ahead of the master and you're good.

On the Arrow TV show they cover it both ways. The people of Nanda Parbat (the home of Ra's Al Ghul) pronounce it Raish, while Green Arrow and the gang all refer to him as Roz al Gool.

9 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

I'm with Coco ! lol

Splendid! 65 posts - it's nice to see a thread take hold :)

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Peter Bagge anyone?

Sorry - I gave pbags up for lent.

To be fair, English pronunciation can be hit or miss - there is so much singular variation that you oftentimes have to hear the word in a proper context to get the pronunciation correct.

An example; the word "Celtic" (which was used a few posts above mine and is why I am thinking of it as an example).  Is it a hard 'c' like in Celtic mythology, or a soft 'c' as in the Boston Celtics?
Unless you heard the word in speech, you'd get one or the other wrong just by reading it.  

...And when it comes to names, surely everyone has memories of teachers struggling through roll call on the first day of class.
Pronunciation of names, both first and last, may vary greatly between individuals and families even when spelled the same.
I used to feel for the teachers when they were often corrected in a condescending tone, as if to say they should have known which way the wind had blown when the decision was made to pronounce a name in a particular way. 

I agree with the Batman:TAS pronunciation of Ras-Al-Ghul. This was the first time his. And has ever been said out loud. Until this time we were stuck reading it and figuring it out for ourselves.

Same with Mr. Mix-yes-spit-lick....the Superman cartoon was the first time I heard that pronounced.

Which reminds me, not only did I think 'Andrew' was Ahhndru, but I used to think his partner was......well, I think you've all got the hang of this thread now :wink:

58cd6337d2e90_AECert.thumb.jpg.042c94ad04cebd38e626116b2199da91.jpg