• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

And it's not only the high grade books, a lot of G/VG books have been popping up and sold as VG or FINE etc...

This is the area where it's happening most in my opinion...

Jim

As a low grade collector, I concur!

Probably true. I will say this though, I find the 3.0 - 6.0 books very hard to grade. I just don't have that much experience. Always trying my best though.

Is this the part where we start telling everyone to overlook your shortcomings because you are really a nice guy?

^^
In John's defense he usually is pretty tanked when he is listing books. :D
But sadly I grade them sober..... doh!
:roflmao:

Didn't someone say this place is starting to turn into a Craigslist? Probably not too far from the truth *says the newb*

And Nick, thanks for posting those links. You've inspired me to action. :devil:

Edited by Mac Man

You know, i find it astounding that so few people on these forums actually know how to read.

In my "Why this place is great" thread I clearly asked everybody to add their collective years to the running total. I was amazed at how few people actually did it.

In my Attending Chicago thread I asked people to cut and paste themselves to the list. I was amazed at how few people did it.

With these sellers, a lot of these guys have been here for years as lurkers so they must have see other newbies get bashed. MUST have. And yet they do it too.

Now I am guilty of wading a little too far into a grey area jsut as much as the next guy, but seriously folks...we are conversing in the written medium...how hard is it to read and write?

I feel everyone's frustration. So far the only solution is to let the forum police jump on them. Don't know if this is possible but how hard would it be for Arch to insitute some sort of software whereby people can't sell without a certain amount of time/posts here? Or maybe a window pops up before any post can be made in the WTB or WTS forums giving simple instructions.

R.

Well... I don't think the post-count idea would work as well for a number of reasons already discussed ad nauseum. THAT said, you are definitely on to something Roy. There are other forums I frequent and have sold some items on before. Part of the listing requires you to list 1. item description 2. price range 3. and your location. If you don't, then the thread will not post. If it's possible to set some sort of parameters where specific information MUST be typed in before the board member can post his thread, I think we'd see a significant decrease in the number of seller's who are posting in violation of the rules. Further, another board I frequent sets a limit on the number of threads you can create per week. This would essentially curb a signifcant portion of the multiple threads... of course, it wouldn't stop people from bumping previos ones, but it'd be a step in the right direction.

Of course, all good ideas but I have no ability to contribute in the effort of making this happen so I don't want to make work for others. Just my thoughts...

I really don't see multiple threads as a big problem, and for the most part the posters that are creating multiple threads are established forum members (ciorac, divad, rd1970 come to mind). Newbie posters not providing prices, scans, references, etc.,. is the problem...while not a perfect solution, I have to now conclude that a waiting period or user agreement (requiring sellers to acknowledge they have read the listing guidelines) as Roy mentions, are needed.

Want to improve the quality and variety of offerings and the overall level of reliability of the sellers posting books in the forum? Get rid of the silly "books cannot be posted elsewhere rule" and let qualitycomix, esquirecomics, nearmint, and so on list their books here, even if, god forbid, they're actually listed elsewhere...OH NO!! :eek:

Well... I don't think the post-count idea would work as well for a number of reasons already discussed ad nauseum. THAT said, you are definitely on to something Roy. There are other forums I frequent and have sold some items on before. Part of the listing requires you to list 1. item description 2. price range 3. and your location. If you don't, then the thread will not post. If it's possible to set some sort of parameters where specific information MUST be typed in before the board member can post his thread, I think we'd see a significant decrease in the number of seller's who are posting in violation of the rules. Further, another board I frequent sets a limit on the number of threads you can create per week. This would essentially curb a signifcant portion of the multiple threads... of course, it wouldn't stop people from bumping previos ones, but it'd be a step in the right direction.

Of course, all good ideas but I have no ability to contribute in the effort of making this happen so I don't want to make work for others. Just my thoughts...

Someone create a template and that has to be used on all for sale threads. This way all the information has to be included for any sale to happen. If it is incomplete, no one buys.

I really don't see multiple threads as a big problem, and for the most part the posters that are creating multiple threads are established forum members (ciorac, divad, rd1970 come to mind). Newbie posters not providing prices, scans, references, etc.,. is the problem...while not a perfect solution, I have to now conclude that a waiting period or user agreement (requiring sellers to acknowledge they have read the listing guidelines) as Roy mentions, are needed.

Want to improve the quality and variety of offerings and the overall level of reliability of the sellers posting books in the forum? Get rid of the silly "books cannot be posted elsewhere rule" and let qualitycomix, esquirecomics, nearmint, and so on list their books here, even if, god forbid, they're actually listed elsewhere...OH NO!! :eek:

I'm not sure how relaxing the rules will help any. Although noone seems to read them any so it won't really matter.

The reason for that particular rule is to prevent large volume dealers from just taking a massive inventory dump in the sales forum. I still think that's a good rule and should stay. 2c

Dr.Banner-

I'm not saying we necessarily have to limit to one thread per week because I agree. When Roy (for example) split his killer collection into multiple threads, it made it WORLDS easier to load the pages. But, I don't see established members really going over 2-3 threads per week either. Have we seen others exceed this in one week's time? hm

I know where to go to get to those comics. There's no reason to post them here as well. And regardless, there's an area for them to link to on this Forum anyway.

The rule is great as is in this regard...

Jim

Edited by awe4one

I'm not sure how relaxing the rules will help any. Although noone seems to read them any so it won't really matter.

The reason for that particular rule is to prevent large volume dealers from just taking a massive inventory dump in the sales forum. I still think that's a good rule and should stay. 2c

I absolutely agree... (thumbs u

Would you like to see pages and pages of dealer listings ala the Ebay Bin pages? The place would be entirely overrun...and it's one thing to say, OK, let Esquire and Quality and Nearmint...but how do you stop Joe Blow and his boxes and boxes of entirely overgraded junk? Ever look at Ebay listings on a free listing day? I don't anymore, I avoid the site entirely on those days...it gave me a headache...and I don't want to mention names, but I've often dreamed about a blocked seller list on Ebay...open up the forum to that and it would be a complete horror show.

I think the rules are very reasonable...more than reasonable...and I'm not saying this to pacify Arch, I'll say I don't agree if I don't...but there are reasons for rules...and if you change them all to make it easier ...I can't imagine that I'd be buying here...

I kind of like the "forum police" I don't enjoy being one of them, unless something REALLY rubs me the wrong way, but I give kudos to those who make the effort politely, or...with humor...

Dr.Banner-

I'm not saying we necessarily have to limit to one thread per week because I agree. When Roy (for example) split his killer collection into multiple threads, it made it WORLDS easier to load the pages. But, I don't see established members really going over 2-3 threads per week either. Have we seen others exceed this in one week's time? hm

Newbies... :gossip:

I absolutely agree... (thumbs u

Would you like to see pages and pages of dealer listings ala the Ebay Bin pages? The place would be entirely overrun...and it's one thing to say, OK, let Esquire and Quality and Nearmint...but how do you stop Joe Blow and his boxes and boxes of entirely overgraded junk? Ever look at Ebay listings on a free listing day? I don't anymore, I avoid the site entirely on those days...it gave me a headache...and I don't want to mention names, but I've often dreamed about a blocked seller list on Ebay...open up the forum to that and it would be a complete horror show.

I think the rules are very reasonable...more than reasonable...and I'm not saying this to pacify Arch, I'll say I don't agree if I don't...but there are reasons for rules...and if you change them all to make it easier ...I can't imagine that I'd be buying here...

I kind of like the "forum police" I don't enjoy being one of them, unless something REALLY rubs me the wrong way, but I give kudos to those who make the effort politely, or...with humor...

100% in agreement, Sha! :applause: :applause: :applause:

This is our 'special place', for those of us without alternate venues to move stuff along.

No need to surrender up our valuable real estate for those who already own acres and acres of the stuff.

No matter how many times Mike might plead for it... :baiting::kidaround:

Would you like to see pages and pages of dealer listings ala the Ebay Bin pages? The place would be entirely overrun...and it's one thing to say, OK, let Esquire and Quality and Nearmint...but how do you stop Joe Blow and his boxes and boxes of entirely overgraded junk?

The other rules would preclude mass dealers (like Mile High and Metropolis) from listing their books here due to the manual labor it takes to sell books here - namely, the transaction is confined to the boards with no links to outside websites. Their business models are not built on having some guy sit around monitoring the boards, taking lowball offers, scanning books left and right as requested, and answering a million questions regarding everything from shipping costs to time payments to trade offers! lol

There was no mass dumping of dealer stock on the boards before these rules were implemented, and there wouldn't be if the "must not be listed elsewhere" rule were lifted. For example, under the existing rules Doug Sulipa could certainly list his inventory here since his website is so out-of-date and he manually processes orders, yet he's never listed books for sale here? (shrug)

Without a doubt, the quality and variety of offerings, as well as the reliability of sellers, would increase if dealers like Blazingbob could offer their books here. (thumbs u

Without a doubt, the quality and variety of offerings, as well as the reliability of sellers, would increase if dealers like Blazingbob could offer their books here. (thumbs u

Bob can do so whenever he likes.

All he has to do is make sure he hasn't put the books into inventory.

Not too difficult, no?

There was no mass dumping of dealer stock on the boards before these rules were implemented

That was another time, Mike. Look at how this place has changed in the last six months. There is no guarantee that it won't start resembling eBay on a free listing days...unless of course you stick with the rules as they are.

No matter how many times Mike might plead for it... :baiting::kidaround:

:acclaim:

Just thought I'd throw it in there...as we've discussed before, the problem with the marketplace is the newbies/inexperienced sellers. While upstanding hobbyists like Bob Storms aren't "allowed" to post here, JoeBlow can sign up in the AM, scam you out of your $$ by the PM, and never post again. This needs to be addressed, and to me, it's looking like a post minimum, time limit, or formal "User's Agreement" is needed. :wishluck: