• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Re. the comicseekers long-box-sales-gone-awry...got to thinking, what does a long box cost to ship anyway...

I just sent 35 raw books...Parcel post was $15-something and Priority would've been $24-something... :o

I guess the rate would be media mail, yes? But I was told by my post office awhile ago that you had to have a commercial/business account to ship media mail (?) (shrug)

Re. the comicseekers long-box-sales-gone-awry...got to thinking, what does a long box cost to ship anyway...

I just sent 35 raw books...Parcel post was $15-something and Priority would've been $24-something... :o

I guess the rate would be media mail, yes? But I was told by my post office awhile ago that you had to have a commercial/business account to ship media mail (?) (shrug)

You can ship about 50 books flat rate for $10. 60 or more if you put two to a bag and board.

As usual, the post office doesn't know what they're talking about - anybody can send media mail.

A 5 lbs media mail box going from California to NYC costs just $4.00.

A 40 lbs media mail box would be $17.59.

I was in San Francisco on business recently, had some downtime and ended up picking up almost a full shortbox of comics from various stores. I media mailed them back to my home in Illinois for around $10 or so.

• Administrator

Unstuck most of the topics besides guidelines. Since this discussion forum can only have these threads it seems ok that they just rotate to newest on top.

The exception is the guidelines thread itself which remains stuck.

As usual, the post office doesn't know what they're talking about - anybody can send media mail.

I was in San Francisco on business recently, had some downtime and ended up picking up almost a full shortbox of comics from various stores. I media mailed them back to my home in Illinois for around $10 or so.

The only problem is comics are not allowed to be shipped media mail and it depends on the Post Master's decision for that area whether it is allowable. Really stupid and I tried getting a definitive answer from my post office who switched me over to the Post Master's office. Which by then I hung up and figured why open a can of worms when my post office allows it.

I sent (sold) a short box of comics to a board member media mail and they opened it and charged him like $6 postage due when they delivered it.

:censored:

I sent (sold) a short box of comics to a board member media mail and they opened it and charged him like $6 postage due when they delivered it.

Yeah, depending on the post office and knowledge of the staff, you are either going to be told "Yes" or "No" on comics going media mail.

I had the same post office, different workers, tell me mixed policies.

Go figure! (shrug)

Media mail cost + $6 is still be a fair bit cheaper than if you had sent it parcel post (or, shudder, priority), though.

I've only ever had one media mail package opened - when I mailed something to Hawaii - so I don't mind playing the odds on this. Especially when you can print media mail postage through paypal (and ebay), so you don't have to answer any questions at the post office.

I mailed a full long box today from louisiana to vermont. It was 45 pounds and I shipped it media mail for $23 with delivery confirmation and insurance

This has always been my exact experience. $23 or so, 45 pounds via media mail.

Especially when you can print media mail postage through paypal (and ebay), so you don't have to answer any questions at the post office.

In my experience, printing the labels at home and giving the parcel to the mailman is a sure-fire way to avoid any snooping. The clerks at the counter are responsible for checking packages like this to see if they do indeed qualify for Media Mail (my PO does not allow comics via Media across the counter) and the mailman takes it right back to the local sorter/processor. I have yet to have one of my parcels opened and inspected at either end of the USPS system.

I realise this isn't really feasible for a LB of comics, I am just saying...

(thumbs u

-slym

In NYC, if you send something Media Mail, the clerk will make a point of telling you that if the package is opened and found to have contents that are against MM regulations, the contents will be destroyed. :eek: They've also told me on multiple occasions that comics are not acceptable for Media Mail (they used to be, but the regulations changed maybe 3 or 4 years ago).

In short, I don't ship Media Mail any more. (shrug)

In NYC, if you send something Media Mail, the clerk will make a point of telling you that if the package is opened and found to have contents that are against MM regulations, the contents will be destroyed.

That sounds like a scare tactic to me - as far as I know USPS regulations call for the receiver to be responsible for the additional cost as they (the USPS) will bump this up to the next available class of postage the parcel is eligible for.

-slym

I've had two packages shipped media mail opened and returned to sender (one from a seller here). Postmaster here tends to be a and not allow comics shipped via media mail. (shrug)

Received this in a box with a lot of moderns about a month or so ago:

usps_notice.jpg

Books were unmolested.

WOW!!! At least they got through...

So, does anyone know for sure if putting in a few loose pages of sheet-music with your comics will get around their system (if the PO cares, that is?)

-slym (wonders if that was the stuff he sold szelim) hm

Received this in a box with a lot of moderns about a month or so ago:

usps_notice.jpg

Books were unmolested.

WOW!!! At least they got through...

So, does anyone know for sure if putting in a few loose pages of sheet-music with your comics will get around their system (if the PO cares, that is?)

-slym (wonders if that was the stuff he sold szelim) hm

Nope - they arrived untouched. Note the stamp on the form.