• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Thanks snake eyes and timmay i will give him until the end of the weekend then post in the thread.

I would also send him one more PM informing him of your concern and intention to seek contact through other boardies in the probation discussion thread...may elicit a response :shrug:

Done and got a response thanks guys.

tt

Shame it takes things like that to get someone's attention, but glad that you found a solution.

I have a question about shipping disclosures and outlining shipping fee structure up front on a sales thread. Why is it acceptable not to include this information on a sales thread?

One sales thread I had asked for a price in the thread but had to wait for a response back. I risked losing the book. I am at a point that I am only really purchasing one or two books so shipping is a factor in my decision. I think it is poor form not to include this information up front. Would any one here purchase blindly on ebay? I don't think so. As a consumer I would like all the information up front so I can make an decision. I have tried to put my trust in the more bigger sellers here and those are the ones that I am never happy with the outcome. I guess I am just too small a buyer for them.

On the flip side, there was a thread about comics and media mail. I believe there is a divide on the subject and some of the members are having problems with media mail. I think it is important for the seller to list their shipping option they are comfortable with in the beginning of the thread. I have no problem with media mail but if a seller does, I may still be left with the option of only purchasing one book via First Class. But when there are no options spelled out, I just assume that it is buyers choice.

Why not post a conditional :takeit: pending shipping cost? You secure the time to discuss the shipping cost.

I see most listings state actual shipping cost which should suffice since we are all aware of or have the ability to research the cost.

Why not post a conditional :takeit: pending shipping cost? You secure the time to discuss the shipping cost.

I see most listings state actual shipping cost which should suffice since we are all aware of or have the ability to research the cost.

I agree with that, for times when it isn't spelled out.

I do have a problem with shipping by cheaper methods. The buyer will blame the seller for any damage from not having enough protection from shipping. The shippers will generally not accept responsibility for damage when the packing is not sufficient.

I work for the USPS, as a carrier. I know how parcels are handled, and most non-perfectly flat objects are thrown into the parcel stream. So no matter how you pack it, it will go into the parcels(If you put a comic between a two pieces of cardboard, it may go as a flat, meaning it can be easily bent or rolled to fit into mail slots or boxes). It will be tossed into hampers from more than "close", and other parcels will be tossed on top of it.

Media mailed parcels are not packed big enough or with enough barrier packing around the items to stop all impacts from damaging them. The only safe way I can think of through the PO is to use a box(or two) that are about the external size of a 1095 or 1092 Priority Mail box. There must also be packing material inside the box, not just air and a little newspaper etc.

I cannot in good conscience ship something cheaply that only costs $2 or so, knowing the high likelihood that a PO employee will damage it. I don't feel comfortable telling a buyer that it's all their risk being taken, even if it works out most of the time.

I want to feel somewhat confident that the books will get there safely, every time. I wrap books in bubble wrap to fit inside a #1092 box very snugly, with peanuts along the side. That fits very snugly into a #1095 box, with peanuts on each end. That priority Mail costs about $6 or so if the parcel is under 2lbs, with no insurance. I can see shipping inexpensive books that way without insurance, because I've not had any damage happen yet. Something will happen no matter how you ship things, but poorly packing something on purpose to get it to qualify for a $2 rate or whatever that is, I can't do that.

I plan to sell a lot of raw comics once I get my better stuff done which is worth CGCing. I hope buyers will understand shipping costs, and work with me to make sure they arrive safely. Regards,

I still will never understand why everyone thinks Priority Mail is so superior. Every single priority envelope (with the exception of one) I have received in such a state that I am shocked the comics survived with little damage. Side splits, huge corner dings. I find my post office to be really harsh on priority mail handling and even boxes look like they have been through the mill. I fare much better with a plain manilla envelope. In fact the only book that was damaged shipping via manilla envelope was entirely my fault. I ended dropping the package while walking in the house.

Plus why should I pay extra for a service that is not needed? Meaning, I don't need a rush shipping for any comic I purchase. I am plenty happy waiting for it and honestly 1st class is just as good.

In any event, I am still curious why this isn't a rule for sellers? It is not hard to put up an estimated shipping for x amount of comics. The conditional isn't a bad idea but it really isn't fair to both the seller and other buyers. I don't want to have the seller lose potential sales because I am waiting for a shipping quote.

In any event, I am still curious why this isn't a rule for sellers? It is not hard to put up an estimated shipping for x amount of comics. The conditional isn't a bad idea but it really isn't fair to both the seller and other buyers. I don't want to have the seller lose potential sales because I am waiting for a shipping quote.

When I hold a sales thread, I generally state "shipping will be $X.xx via media mail (or whatever works best). I just tell people to PM me with any questions on shipping cost. To me, it does start to get a little difficult to put up an estimate for x amount of comics because often it'll depend on the sellers location and how many books they buy. With these different variables, I could include an entire shipping cost estimate table, or I could just say "PM me with any shipping questions" and get to listing the books.

I'm not really sure what you mean about the last sentence. If you're waiting for a shipping quote and you miss out on a book, the seller isn't losing a sale. Conversely, if you get a response, you can make a decision to buy a book based on the precise shipping cost.

Finally, whenever I send out invoices, I'll typically work out a shipping quote based on the location listed under their name. Why isn't it a rule for buyers that a location be listed? :baiting:

I still will never understand why everyone thinks Priority Mail is so superior. Every single priority envelope (with the exception of one) I have received in such a state that I am shocked the comics survived with little damage. Side splits, huge corner dings. I find my post office to be really harsh on priority mail handling and even boxes look like they have been through the mill. I fare much better with a plain manilla envelope. In fact the only book that was damaged shipping via manilla envelope was entirely my fault. I ended dropping the package while walking in the house.

Plus why should I pay extra for a service that is not needed? Meaning, I don't need a rush shipping for any comic I purchase. I am plenty happy waiting for it and honestly 1st class is just as good.

I'm sorry that you don't understand how the PO works, as lots of people do not.

There are multiple ways an item can go through the PO. Everything doesn't go in one thing/bin/box/pile/hamper etc. Actual letters go in trays that fit them well. Special registered mail and Express Mail go in separate bags or tubs, never with other mail.

Anything which is extremely thin and not too long or too short, will all go in flat containers or tubs(which people steal and use as garbage cans(you've seen them)), and get sorted in specific flat cases.

Everything else that doesn't fit perfectly in the letter trays or flat tubs, it all goes in very large containers, as parcels. That includes odd shaped items or anything a PO employee "feels" like tossing into the parcels.

Here's a bit of an example of stupidity, medium sized envelopes with pictures in them(think 5x7" in size), those get tossed into the parcels. The fools who take in those items decide that they aren't shaped enough like a flat or letter, so they make them into parcels. The have a parcel hamper nearby, and they toss odd things like that into it. It all travels like that until it reaches the final PO, then a clerk will take them out and toss them into individual hampers for each mail carrier. We pick them out and sort them to prepare them with the other mail, to be delivered. We see tons of damaged parcels every day, maybe 1-2 for each route. It's not the well packed parcels which get damaged, it's the flimsy thin things with no packing material, or in a flexible envelope which we see damaged.

What that means is that the only way to get comics into the flat stream, is to package them very thin and not bigger than a proper common Manila envelope. If you pack too many in it, or it's not a light uniform item, it gets tossed into the parcels.

The parcels handling is what you want to avoid, or pack it really well. If you don't pack it well enough to be able to handle a big impact from other parcels, then you better make sure it's really thin and doesn't get tossed into the parcels.

So, how many people are shipping one or two comics, packed really thin because it's only got a thin piece of cardboard on each side? Those articles can usually get away with being shipped cheap, but it's still a big risk.

If you ship stuff that is thicker than say3/8" or so, than it's going to be handled as a parcel, and it better be a whole lot thicker and stronger than a 1/2" "box" or container. Thus the free Priority Mail boxes are about the right size, they are about 3" thick, and larger in the other dimensions, than CGC slabs.

If you can find a cheap plain box that is similar in size to the Priority Mail boxes, try that. But if you hadn't noticed, the USPS charges the same price for 1st class as it does for Priority Mail, beyond a certain distance, or weight. So they all end up costing the same as a Priority Mail box. Thus, use the free #1095 and #1092 boxes.

When I hold a sales thread, I generally state "shipping will be $X.xx via media mail (or whatever works best). I just tell people to PM me with any questions on shipping cost. To me, it does start to get a little difficult to put up an estimate for x amount of comics because often it'll depend on the sellers location and how many books they buy. With these different variables, I could include an entire shipping cost estimate table, or I could just say "PM me with any shipping questions" and get to listing the books.

I'm not really sure what you mean about the last sentence. If you're waiting for a shipping quote and you miss out on a book, the seller isn't losing a sale. Conversely, if you get a response, you can make a decision to buy a book based on the precise shipping cost.

Finally, whenever I send out invoices, I'll typically work out a shipping quote based on the location listed under their name. Why isn't it a rule for buyers that a location be listed? :baiting:

I was referring to the conditional :takeit:. If I were to do this on a sales thread pending shipping quote, the seller could the sale if someone else wanted the book. But they move along because of my post.

Media Mail is the same rate regardless of location. If the seller is not using media mail but 1st class same thing applies. The only time location comes into play is with Parcel or now the regional. I know that 5 books bag and boarded is approx. 1 lb. When I do an estimate I round up to the whole dollar. However, I charge exact shipping when I invoice for the most part. I always state the shipping up front. I state that I ship media mail but will use another method if requested. When I bill I bill using media mail because that is the specified method on my thread.

I can understand international shipping is difficult to put in the sale thread. But shipping within the states isn't that difficult to determine upfront, IMO.

There are multiple ways an item can go through the PO. Everything doesn't go in one thing/bin/box/pile/hamper etc. Actual letters go in trays that fit them well. Special registered mail and Express Mail go in separate bags or tubs, never with other mail.

Anything which is extremely thin and not too long or too short, will all go in flat containers or tubs(which people steal and use as garbage cans(you've seen them)), and get sorted in specific flat cases.

Everything else that doesn't fit perfectly in the letter trays or flat tubs, it all goes in very large containers, as parcels. That includes odd shaped items or anything a PO employee "feels" like tossing into the parcels.

Here's a bit of an example of stupidity, medium sized envelopes with pictures in them(think 5x7" in size), those get tossed into the parcels. The fools who take in those items decide that they aren't shaped enough like a flat or letter, so they make them into parcels. The have a parcel hamper nearby, and they toss odd things like that into it. It all travels like that until it reaches the final PO, then a clerk will take them out and toss them into individual hampers for each mail carrier. We pick them out and sort them to prepare them with the other mail, to be delivered. We see tons of damaged parcels every day, maybe 1-2 for each route. It's not the well packed parcels which get damaged, it's the flimsy thin things with no packing material, or in a flexible envelope which we see damaged.

What that means is that the only way to get comics into the flat stream, is to package them very thin and not bigger than a proper common Manila envelope. If you pack too many in it, or it's not a light uniform item, it gets tossed into the parcels.

The parcels handling is what you want to avoid, or pack it really well. If you don't pack it well enough to be able to handle a big impact from other parcels, then you better make sure it's really thin and doesn't get tossed into the parcels.

So, how many people are shipping one or two comics, packed really thin because it's only got a thin piece of cardboard on each side? Those articles can usually get away with being shipped cheap, but it's still a big risk.

If you ship stuff that is thicker than say3/8" or so, than it's going to be handled as a parcel, and it better be a whole lot thicker and stronger than a 1/2" "box" or container. Thus the free Priority Mail boxes are about the right size, they are about 3" thick, and larger in the other dimensions, than CGC slabs.

If you can find a cheap plain box that is similar in size to the Priority Mail boxes, try that. But if you hadn't noticed, the USPS charges the same price for 1st class as it does for Priority Mail, beyond a certain distance, or weight. So they all end up costing the same as a Priority Mail box. Thus, use the free #1095 and #1092 boxes.

Great info and insight into how the PO works. Thanks! :applause:

As for packing and shipping comics, I find that the key issue isn't how snug the book(s) are packed, but rather are the books immobilized. Also, the books should be secure so they don't move around, but also have enough room on the edges and especially the corners so that the package (whether a manila envelope, priority envelope, or even box) can withstand corner bumps. I often ship up to 3 books in a manila envelope (to weigh just under the 13 oz limit for first class). That envelope is pretty thick, but if the books are away from the corners, they arrive safe and sound. However, if the transaction is for a more expensive book, boxes are definitely the way to go. For dollar books, it's tough because the shipping costs will equal or be more than the cost of the books.

There seems to be a lot of tossing that goes on in the PO system.

I was referring to the conditional :takeit:. If I were to do this on a sales thread pending shipping quote, the seller could the sale if someone else wanted the book. But they move along because of my post.

(thumbs u

Thank you for posting this but truthfully it doesn't change my perception which is the important consumer factor in the equation. I haven't received one beat up manilla envelope package regardless of it thickness whereas all except one priority envelope has had some sort of damage. Even the priority boxes are sometimes damaged.

I try to mail everything in a box although I do on occasion use a manilla evelope for the cheaper purchases. My other gripe with Priority mail is that I cannot repurpose the box so it completely wasteful for me. Whereas the other packages I can either reuse the box or cut it down. This is a big reason why I don't particular care for PO but the other is that the contents are not normally packed correctly.

I tried ordering the padded PO envelopes but after 8 weeks of waiting for them, I am giving up. I am too assume the same thing will happen if I order the boxes.

I don't want the reason for my post to be missed. I am still waiting for an answer regarding why sales threads are allowed without disclosing shipping cost and methods.

It is a rule

#8 List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

I guess any time a sales thread breaks a rule you have the option of posting the FAQ, of course that doesn't stop someone from grabbing a book you want, anyway... but

perhaps it's a sign, that there will be other threads?

I find myself ignoring quite a few threads.

This happened once before ...probably more than once, but once that I remember.

A seller lists something here as a lower grade than they do on eBay...they also say on eBay that there is NO resto on a book....yet, when they come here, there "might be a tear seal"...

I remembered the book very well, because I had been considering buying it, I knew it was from a boarder (couldn't remember which one, but I knew the ID), and it's a book that I have but keep thinking of upgrading.

Someone else just posted a link to a heritage sale.

Now it seems that the book, was from Heritage, CLEARLY marked as restored, but the seller says on his thread, that he bought it from another dealer in-between....and when I suggested that he should be annoyed that the other seller did not disclose...he now says he had a clue.

Here is one of his listings on eBay, the book is in the market place now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=320661984374&nma=true&rt=nc&si=2rgweQmEUFGpu0p8ogzS8084w7c%253D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320671137789&si=2rgweQmEUFGpu0p8ogzS8084w7c%253D&viewitem=

I'm really sad that people think they can come here, and act differently on eBay....not sure if this belongs here, but I didn't want to make a whole hullabaloo in comics general....as a matter of fact, if had not had this very book on my own watch list several times, I wouldn't have known anything. I don't mind restored books, but I do mind non disclosure.

I'm posting this here, rather than on his thread (again) so Yannis can explain himself....btw, I believe the book was posted here, before it was on eBay, but I couldn't find the link easily...and it's been on eBay at least 3 times, each time with the same "not restored" disclaimer.

It also seems the book sold on eBay :shrug:

This happened once before ...probably more than once, but once that I remember.

A seller lists something here as a lower grade than they do on eBay...they also say on eBay that there is NO resto on a book....yet, when they come here, there "might be a tear seal"...

I remembered the book very well, because I had been considering buying it, I knew it was from a boarder (couldn't remember which one, but I knew the ID), and it's a book that I have but keep thinking of upgrading.

Someone else just posted a link to a heritage sale.

Now it seems that the book, was from Heritage, CLEARLY marked as restored, but the seller says on his thread, that he bought it from another dealer in-between....and when I suggested that he should be annoyed that the other seller did not disclose...he now says he had a clue.

Here is one of his listings on eBay, the book is in the market place now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320671137789&si=2rgweQmEUFGpu0p8ogzS8084w7c%253D&viewitem=

I'm really sad that people think they can come here, and act differently on eBay....not sure if this belongs here, but I didn't want to make a whole hullabaloo in comics general....as a matter of fact, if had not had this very book on my own watch list several times, I wouldn't have known anything. I don't mind restored books, but I do mind non disclosure.

I'm posting this here, rather than on his thread (again) so Yannis can explain himself....btw, I believe the book was posted here, before it was on eBay, but I couldn't find the link easily...and it's been on eBay at least 3 times, each time with the same "not restored" disclaimer.

It also seems the book sold on eBay :shrug:

Linky not working, let's try this