• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]From a buyer point of view.

When I make an offer (I never have make a window offer)

I will appreciate a fast answer, yes or not, doesn’t matter.

The point is (for me) I have xxx amount of money,

and watching 3 books ending soon,

1 the offer that I make to the board member, and 2 other on EBay and Clink.

I cannot afford to win the 3 books,

so the faster the answer, the fast I could move to purchase the other books.

You don’t like an offer? Fine, Just say it

it give me the freedom to purchase the other 2 or raise my offer in one of them...

I see it as common courtesy... [/font]

(thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]From a buyer point of view.

When I make an offer (I never have make a window offer)

I will appreciate a fast answer, yes or not, doesn’t matter.

The point is (for me) I have xxx amount of money,

and watching 3 books ending soon,

1 the offer that I make to the board member, and 2 other on EBay and Clink.

I cannot afford to win the 3 books,

so the faster the answer, the fast I could move to purchase the other books.

You don’t like an offer? Fine, Just say it

it give me the freedom to purchase the other 2 or raise my offer in one of them...

I see it as common courtesy... [/font]

(thumbs u

Agree with you if communicated properly, otherwise, a window offer could be deemed aggressive.

I don't make offers very often...but I have done a few where the person either never answered, or didn't answer for a few days. So, if I remember, I'll add something saying that the offer is good till xyz, so *I* don't have to wonder if I'm going to receive a surprise acceptance later on...but I do tell the person, they can get back to me after and I will consider the purchase after the window.

lol

That section is out of control. It has been for awhile. I don't even see if I have the book until we agree on price now.

That section is awful, and the worst offenders are the ones who start BS threads like "I have $500 to spend on a silver age comic". I stopped bothering with that area long ago.

Dear WTB thread starters,

You list a book you WTB, i search for the book, i grade the book, i price the book, i scan the book, i PM you - a polite "go spoon yourself" is preferred to nothing. end of rant.

There's a lot of cr@p there, however - I would like to say that I always respond to people who take the time to PM me about my WTB listing. I loathe the idea of turning someone down, because I don't want them to think I'm dissin' their book, but I also know that they need to know if I'm interested or not so they can move on. I would guess that people don't like that aspect of dealing with sellers - so they just think ignoring it is the better choice. It's not. It's completely discourteous and damages the WTB section cred.

On the times that I have a couple people sending me things, I try to let seller's know that I am looking at other books.

It's been mentioned a lot here: communication. It's definitely key in the WTB section, and I wish people would be better/serious about it, because it's a good place to find books. But, I will admit, it's getting overloaded now...

I've gotten lots of comics I've been looking for via my WTB threads, including my CSS 22. :luhv: I always respond to every offer, let people know what kinda grades I'm looking for, whether I think I'll be able to afford what they're offering, etc.

I imagine no one's ever felt like I've wasted their time. :shrug:

I've had about a 50% success rate in the WTB. Haven't asked for anything major, yet, but I plan to in the future. From what I've seen, if somebody is asking for some higher dollar books, they seem to get responses quicker. Understandable. But those that want the obscure books may not be reaching those sellers that have had their fill of the WTB section.

I'll answer all messages and will sometimes buy multiples of the book if I have 2 courteous sellers and the prices are fair. Not extremely high dollar, but fair prices with fair shipping.

As a new collector the WTB will be a valuable forum. I've even made a purchase of a book that was turned down by another WTB thread.

I would hate to think that somebody would waste time on me. If they are going to message me, I'll message back. Simple.

After stealing scans from random eBay auctions and Google images and using them in his various sales threads, I guess the next logical step was to just photoshop the slab scan to show whatever he wants it to show :screwy:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6041520

:facepalm:

Its kind of sad when e-bay is gettin to be a safer place to buy from than these forums :sorry:

Another great thing about the e-bay sellers I've bought from in the last 14 years is that none of them have taken 9 days to even put the package in the mail :/

Really? hm

Look at the label on the AvX book - it's from issue #2; he pasted the cover image on top of the book and changed the label to read issue #11.

I swear, this place is turning more & more into Craigslist.

Really? hm

Look at the label on the AvX book - it's from issue #2; he pasted the cover image on top of the book and changed the label to read issue #11.

I'm not a fan of selling books before you have them back from CGC but at least he discloses it.

Really? hm

yeah, you can tell that the cover has been photoshopped onto the case doh!

Really? hm

I'm not a fan of selling books before you have them back from CGC but at least he discloses it.

I have zero problems with people pre-selling books that have been finalized by CGC and are on their way back - if you want to throw up a "takeit" prior to seeing a scan of the slabbed book you're buying, that's your choice.

Showing pictures of somebody else's book - or photoshopping images like this - I do have major issues with, however.

It may not seem like such a big deal because in this case we're talking about "very modern moderns" - eg. books that have recently been published and where one 9.8 looks pretty much the same as the next one. But could you imagine the outcry there'd be if somebody did this with a slabbed silver age key?

"Oh, yeah, I'm sorry that the 9.4 Hulk #181 you just bought from me has a really ugly miswrap and a printer's crease right through Wolverine's face - I realize that none of these things were shown in the scan I provided, but that's because I grabbed a scan of a 9.8 copy from Heritage and photoshopped the number on the label. I did point out that the scan was just for "visualization" purposes, right?"