• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Thinking of doing Themed lots and some runs......Infinity G themed lot (origins HC/crusade/war/gauntlet)......Venom theme (LS and funeral pyre LS)........Possible Thanos themed (annihilation modern titles, Avengers GS thanos, capt marvel thanos)......runs of bronze ages. (Wonder Woman, Challengers, Invanders, Champions, Capt marvel, Ms, marvel, thor, hulk, etc)

With 3 freebies (2 NM random bag/boarded comic and 1 drek unbagged)

Thinking of throwing in quick small head sketches for each purchase as well......maybe 3x3 inches

I am looking to make some space in my boxes and refill the comic fund from recent supercon spending.

Sounds good?

I read a post recently that commented on how many sellers are showing up on the boards. I had to laugh because the sellers are selling where they can get the best price. Now there are randomn posters advertising in the modern section before their books find a sales thread. I can't comment on other ages but the modern sales threads realize GPA highs. I decided to retire from selling on here but some of these prices have me regretting the decision. lol

When I 1st sold on the boards I got a few PM's asking for boardie discounts. I gladly obliged as part of the boardie brotherhood. It only took a few times of seeing the book in another sales thread or listed on eBay to realize I was feeding the flippers. It's funny since I don't mind feeding flippers but no need to pretend to be something else. :facepalm:

Anyway, if anyone is curious while there is an influx of new sellers and so many more transactions just look at the prices. Seems buyers don't mind paying a premium because the seller is a boardie. It actually seems to be preferred.

Like I mentioned I decided to stop selling on here and to each their own. I actually find board sales to be a pain in the compared to auction houses and eBay. Hopefully i have all pending sales wrapped up in the next month. rantrant

Seems buyers don't mind paying a premium because the seller is a boardie. It actually seems to be preferred.

This! Where are the "boardies deals"?

I'm too new to understand it as well, as I would think people would expect cheaper prices as they're not forced to give up a percentage for listing and completing sales like eBay. You would think an eBay sale of $420, could easily be completed on here for $400, but it seems that an eBay sale of $420 means it's $450+ on here.... :screwy:

That's said, I'm in the market for some books!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5627833

I've always found good deals here. It helps if you have a big want list so you can just scoop up deals. As an example, just check out the sales threads that MCMiles is running right now. Tons of deals.

I think it's a combination of things that are driving the current prices ...

1) You have an influx of new boardies who've come here because the boards have a great reputation when it comes to buying & selling books - these boardies may not have access to GPA and may not be up to speed on what actually drives the prices of freshly slabbed CGC books (the "first to market" premium, the SS bump, the "I have 20 CGC 9.8 copies but I'll only release one copy at a time to keep the prices high" play, etc).

They see a high-grade hot book and jump on it - which is great for the sellers that have no qualms pricing books above GPA and slightly less so for people who are used to having to throw out a boardie discount in order for things to move. A little further down the road, these new buyers end up selling their not-so-hot-anymore books at a loss and then disappear from the boards again.

I call this the "oh, shiny!" factor.

2) Secondly, you have a bunch of new sellers who have no problems selling raw books as NM/M - even though, in their world, this simply means a book they bought off the rack and immediately put in a bag. People who've been on these boards for a while usually don't have a problem paying premiums for NM+ or NM/M raw books - because, for a rather long time, the only people who'd actually describe books as such were the ones who'd already established a reputation for their solid grading skills.

Nowadays everyone & their mother seem to frequent a magical LCS where every single book on the rack is NM/M - where color-breaking spine ticks & creases are merely scanner artifacts, tricks of the light or printing defects - and where, unfortunately, the forum FS codes of conduct prevent more established boardies from pointing out that every single book in their sales threads are heavily overgraded.

The "if you ignore the large tear on the front this book is totally NM" style of defense, if you will.

3) Lastly, there's a fair amount of hyping going on - particularly in the Modern forum. When someone starts posting about how good a modern book is and is very quick to link to selective eBay auction results showing the rising price of said book, it's usually a pretty safe bet that he or she is sitting on a pile of those books - which will then be released into the market post-haste (and shamelessly hyped inside the specific book thread in the Modern forum - even though that's a bit of a no-no).

That one I've named the "get in, get out, scorched earth strategy".

3) Lastly, there's a fair amount of hyping going on - particularly in the Modern forum. When someone starts posting about how good a modern book is and is very quick to link to selective eBay auction results showing the rising price of said book, it's usually a pretty safe bet that he or she is sitting on a pile of those books - which will then be released into the market post-haste (and shamelessly hyped inside the specific book thread in the Modern forum - even though that's a bit of a no-no).

Also known as the Nico-Krighton gambit.

lol

Oh come on now Sean. That tactic is hardly only in use by new boardies. My favourite is letting a few of my friends buy the 1st few copies in the thread so that there is only one left. Only to have the friends turn around and start their own sales threads with the same book.

I call it the "Pile on" maneuver. ;)

Great post Michael. I completely agree. Since the boards were never designed as a sales venue so much of this falls through the cracks. I also agree that there are deals on here. I've tried offering deals and dollar sales myself but in Moderns I see more of price gouging than deals. I just find it hard to believe that so many new buyers haven't heard of other comic venues.

lol

Oh come on now Sean. That tactic is hardly only in use by new boardies. My favourite is letting a few of my friends buy the 1st few copies in the thread so that there is only one left. Only to have the friends turn around and start their own sales threads with the same book.

Yeah, but the established guys do it with a little savoir faire. They romance it a little bit.

Like one of my buddies in high school said - "Fingh, you can't just jam it in there. Well, you can, but it's frowned upon."

lol

Yeah, but the established guys do it with a little savoir faire. They romance it a little bit.

Like one of my buddies in high school said - "Fingh, you can't just jam it in there. Well, you can, but it's frowned upon."

:facepalm:

2) Secondly, you have a bunch of new sellers who have no problems selling raw books as NM/M - even though, in their world, this simply means a book they bought off the rack and immediately put in a bag. People who've been on these boards for a while usually don't have a problem paying premiums for NM+ or NM/M raw books - because, for a rather long time, the only people who'd actually describe books as such were the ones who'd already established a reputation for their solid grading skills.

Nowadays everyone & their mother seem to frequent a magical LCS where every single book on the rack is NM/M - where color-breaking spine ticks & creases are merely scanner artifacts, tricks of the light or printing defects - and where, unfortunately, the forum FS codes of conduct prevent more established boardies from pointing out that every single book in their sales threads are heavily overgraded.

The "if you ignore the large tear on the front this book is totally NM" style of defense, if you will.

Agree on this one, especially the bolded part. I've always thought boardies should be more protective of their playground and call out overgraders when they see them, thread-krapping be damned. I'm in the minority on that one. Unfortunately, one of the results of the "just don't buy it and move on quietly" policy is that third-rate sellers (or graders if you will) are plying their over-graded wares on the backs of the sound grading reputations of the other members of this board. The end result being that trust is placed where it shouldn't be by some boardies.

Oh well.

So far, only this one I've seen, as I came here for CGC books, and have to hope it hasn't been over-hyped before my pocket money becomes available. I stay out of the raw area (point 2) for the simple fact I can't grade for mess. Finally (point 3), I hope to be around long enough, and not to have been swept up in the fervor, to get some of them discounts!

Agree on this one, especially the bolded part. I've always thought boardies should be more protective of their playground and call out overgraders when they see them, thread-krapping be damned. I'm in the minority on that one. Unfortunately, one of the results of the "just don't buy it and move on quietly" policy is that third-rate sellers (or graders if you will) are plying their over-graded wares on the backs of the sound grading reputations of the other members of this board. The end result being that trust is placed where it shouldn't be by some boardies.

Oh well.

It becomes tricky. I don't mind taking a pass on overgraded book. But I bite my tongue when such book are complimented by other posters. :pullhair:

eBay may be onto something. They do all they can to protect buyers claiming they are attracting more buyers. The logic is the sellers will go where the buyers are. Clearly the boards have a gaggle of new buyers which tend to flock together to set new GPA highs. doh!

Enter sellers. rantrant

I have a question in regard of buying in this forum, am i protected by paypal if the seller did not send books after it is paid for? What options do i use when making payment through paypal? If the grading is not as descripted, is there anyway to get refund (in case of new sellers)? I saw some new sellers with 1 or 2 posts and has no feedback, little hesitant of buying from them. Thanks for the help.

You are definitely covered by Paypal for nonreceipt within a certain amount of time. I believe that also covers items not as described. You must choose the goods option on PayPal and NOT PayPal personal.

Also it is well within the board etiquette to ask for references both by PM and within their sales thread.

Looking for opinions. Being as I am one of the parties involved I will try not to be biased but likely won't be able to.

I purchased a large lot of comics from a boardie. Paid for the comics and decided I would pay for postage later since he was unfamiliar with how much it would cost.

" I'll ship it and tell you exact postage once the books are in the mail. I'm probably going to send the raw books in one package and the slabs in another package b/c I think it will be more safe and less expensive unless you want me to do it otherwise. "

I waited for the comics and received 3 packages. One VERY LARGE box, a medium priority and a poster tube. Total postage was $90+. The deal was about 35 raw comics, 2 CGC's and a poster. Without discussing any other factors I am of the opinion that I should pay the reasonable shipping charge and the remainder the seller should count as a learning experience.

Thoughts?