• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Yeah, but either way you're paying $103. Does it really matter that much that the seller is giving buyers the option to buy a little bit cheaper by not paying via Paypal?

For the record, I have never offered such options. I just throw up a price and go with it. I'm just curious why this seems to be such a big deal (shrug)

Yes it does. For me it gives off an impression that the seller is trying to squeeze the lemon entirely and it's all about making the maximum profit possible. And it makes me wonder if the seller will skimp on packing supplies and what not as there is some extra profit to be made there as well.

But then again I also try to stay away from sellers that have just joined the boards only to sell and never bring anything else to the table discussion wise.

Yes it does. For me it gives off an impression that the seller is trying to squeeze the lemon entirely and it's all about making the maximum profit possible. And it makes me wonder if the seller will skimp on packing supplies and what not as there is some extra profit to be made there as well.

But then again I also try to stay away from sellers that have just joined the boards only to sell and never bring anything else to the table discussion wise.

That's the key point for me. Sellers listing on this board aren't paying a listing fee or a final value fee. They aren't paying a commission or a seller's premium. They also aren't under the gun to get the book mailed in a day or two. The board is a much more favorable venue for sellers than any other place I'm aware of. In those circumstances, asking buyers to pick up your PP fees just seems greedy.

That's the key point for me. Sellers listing on this board aren't paying a listing fee or a final value fee. They aren't paying a commission or a seller's premium. They also aren't under the gun to get the book mailed in a day or two. The board is a much more favorable venue for sellers than any other place I'm aware of. In those circumstances, asking buyers to pick up your PP fees just seems greedy.

BUT they also aren't afforded some of the protections and larger markets of other venues...I agree with you, I just don't think its totally one-sided. This is basically a marketing and psychology question. What way of communicating the pricing/fees/shipping increases your chance for a sale the most?

Full itemized fee structure ahead of time? Bundled prices? Discounts? Different things appeal to different markets and industries and turn them on and off in different ways. As long as no one is lying or tacking on non-pre-disclosed fees at the back end, I think we're good here.

Are there people who refuse to buy from a thread that is not offering a cash discount? I haven't heard anyone go so far as to say that yet. Because on the flip side, there are people who are not buying from threads that ask them to cover the Paypal fees. Given this, it seems like common sense for sellers to pay attention.

BUT they also aren't afforded some of the protections and larger markets of other venues...I agree with you, I just don't think its totally one-sided. This is basically a marketing and psychology question. What way of communicating the pricing/fees/shipping increases your chance for a sale the most?

Full itemized fee structure ahead of time? Bundled prices? Discounts? Different things appeal to different markets and industries and turn them on and off in different ways. As long as no one is lying or tacking on non-pre-disclosed fees at the back end, I think we're good here.

That is true. You lose the buffering you get by consigning your books, although typically you also wait longer -- sometimes much longer -- to see the money. I'm wondering whether sellers often have significant trouble with buyers on the board. You do see sellers occasionally indicate that a buyer has backed out of a sale and the book is available again. I don't read the PL thread that closely, but have there been incidents like the ones on eBay of scammers falsely claiming not to have received books and claiming refunds through PP?

Agreed. I fully support their right to ask whatever price they want and give a discount for not using paypal but I just click out.

That is true. You lose the buffering you get by consigning your books, although typically you also wait longer -- sometimes much longer -- to see the money. I'm wondering whether sellers often have significant trouble with buyers on the board. You do see sellers occasionally indicate that a buyer has backed out of a sale and the book is available again. I don't read the PL thread that closely, but have there been incidents like the ones on eBay of scammers falsely claiming not to have received books and claiming refunds through PP?

I've heard about that happening once. There was also a situation where a boardie's family member cut him off financially, and it messed with his ongoing paypal transactions. There have been times when buyers back out of deals ... that's almost always the extent of buyer malfeasance. We're a small community with small community dynamics and not too much anonymity, all of which contribute to a higher level of honesty, generally speaking.

No need to beat around the bush. I assume you're talking about kenholt, yes?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6123094

Yep, that's the one. Apparently you contacted him and he changed it. Good job. (thumbs u

And I'm the sheriff! :acclaim:

EDIT: The funny thing is, I inadvertently created another "buyer pays the PP fees" thread. lol kenholt, if you did that just to bait me, well played sir. :foryou:

Edited by Speedy-D

So for everyone upset that some sellers charge +3% for Paypal, how do you feel about buyer's premiums that the auction houses charge? Every time one of those threads start up, the defenders come right out and just tell everyone to figure that amount into their maximum bid. No big deal right?

Yeah, but either way you're paying $103. Does it really matter that much that the seller is giving buyers the option to buy a little bit cheaper by not paying via Paypal?

For the record, I have never offered such options. I just throw up a price and go with it. I'm just curious why this seems to be such a big deal (shrug)

There are plenty of sellers here who are trying to squeeze the lemon, regardless of whether they spell out the fact that they are charging an extra +3% for PP.

The sellers who price their books to the stratosphere irritate me far more than someone who is offering a discount for paying via money order.

My 2c on the 3% thing.

Sure it's wrong for seller to insist somebody pay personal or "spring" the 3% fee upon somebody in PMs after a :takeit: .

But there's one thing I don't think is wrong.

If the seller offers to pass the 3% savings to the buyer if they pay by check or money order.

After all since when has it been a "Bad Business Practice" to pass the savings on to the customer?

:sumo:

My 2c on the 3% thing.

Sure it's wrong for seller to insist somebody pay personal or "spring" the 3% fee upon somebody in PMs after a :takeit: .

But there's one thing I don't think is wrong.

If the seller offers to pass the 3% savings to the buyer if they pay by check or money order.

After all since when has it been a "Bad Business Practice" to pass the savings on to the customer?

:sumo:

here's another extension of the rationale that giving the 3% discount (of listed prices) for check/MO is not a bad thing...

If I said I was selling books at prices that included shipping... and then said local pickups would get the shipping costs reduced from their invoice (say $10)...

is that any different? And no one would boycott a sales thread that said they'd give a discount for local pickups right?