• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

When did it become OK again for sellers to request an additional 3% when paying via Paypal? Seeing it all over the marketplace lately.

Is another flame war about the practice necessary?

Its not my practice either, but in fairness to those who do it, it is the nature of the marketplace that expenses are passed on to the consumer. And even if most do not ask for +3% on a Paypal transaction, I have to believe they have already factored that into their asking price, or, at least, their bottom line discount. 2c

Building it in is okay, I just dont want my nose rubbed in it

When did it become OK again for sellers to request an additional 3% when paying via Paypal? Seeing it all over the marketplace lately.

Its not my practice either, but in fairness to those who do it, it is the nature of the marketplace that expenses are passed on to the consumer. And even if most do not ask for +3% on a Paypal transaction, I have to believe they have already factored that into their asking price, or, at least, their bottom line discount. 2c

But considering the boards don't take a 10%+ cut like e-bay does, they should just suck it up and not charge the additional 3%.

It's almost like they're not smart enough to just "build it into" the costs. :whistle:

But considering the boards don't take a 10%+ cut like e-bay does, they should just suck it up and not charge the additional 3%.

It's almost like they're not smart enough to just "build it into" the costs. :whistle:

Let me ask you then, if they didn't ask for +3% for Paypal, but rather gave "3% off" for those buyers that don't use Paypal, would it be less offensive, or the same thing?

Let me ask you then, if they didn't ask for +3% for Paypal, but rather gave "3% off" for those buyers that don't use Paypal, would it be less offensive, or the same thing?

What about this one:

Paypal (you pay fees)

Money Order (3% off)

Cashiers Check (3% off)

Personal Check (must clear first)

Local Pick up (5% off)

I hate the +3% and feel its part of doing online business.

That was the 'solution' last time it was debated. Sellers offered 3% discounts if paid by MO.

Asking buyers on a site that charges NOTHING to sell your wares for an additional 3% to cover PayPal fees is friggin lame. It's the cost of doing business.

Less offensive. Many businesses will offer discounts when paid with cash or check rather than credit.

Someone would have to be enormously anal retentive to complain about a recap copied and pasted as being a problem.

So, I just got home from work and had the following conversation with my wife:

Me: "Honey, do you think I'm anal retentive?"

Wife (laughing): "Is that a rhetorical question? Are you asking me about the extent of your anal retentiveness?"

Me (smiling): "Yes, I suppose that's what I'm asking...how about on a scale from 1 to 10?"

Wife: "Well, it depends on the subject, but anywhere from a 7 to a 10."

:roflmao:

So, all I can say is that I suppose this personality trait can be an asset around here, as well as an annoyance. I'll try to maximize the former and minimize the latter. :)

If you want to find out where you actually fell on the scale between 7 and 10, use the following...

7 - you smiled and walked away wondering if you were a 7, 8, 9, or 10?

8 - you badgered her for an hour until she remembered that she had some shopping to do :idea:

9 - when she returned home, you were waiting for her in the garage to resume the conversation :busy:

10 - you're reading this from your iphone as you attempt to track her down in the mall to get to the bottom of it

:foryou:

What about this one:

Paypal (you pay fees)

Money Order (3% off)

Cashiers Check (3% off)

Local Pick up (5% off)

Your example above seems to have the buyer using Paypal suffering even more than a 3% surcharge, so if the BIN on an item is say $100, the MO is paying $97 and the Paypal is paying $103, do I have this right?

What about this one:

Paypal (you pay fees)

Money Order (3% off)

Cashiers Check (3% off)

Local Pick up (5% off)

Your example above seems to have the buyer using Paypal suffering even more than a 3% surcharge, so if the BIN on an item is say $100, the MO is paying $97 and the Paypal is paying $103, do I have this right?

I believe he means the seller pays the fees here.

Someone would have to be enormously anal retentive to complain about a recap copied and pasted as being a problem.

So, I just got home from work and had the following conversation with my wife:

Me: "Honey, do you think I'm anal retentive?"

Wife (laughing): "Is that a rhetorical question? Are you asking me about the extent of your anal retentiveness?"

Me (smiling): "Yes, I suppose that's what I'm asking...how about on a scale from 1 to 10?"

Wife: "Well, it depends on the subject, but anywhere from a 7 to a 10."

:roflmao:

So, all I can say is that I suppose this personality trait can be an asset around here, as well as an annoyance. I'll try to maximize the former and minimize the latter. :)

Look on the bright side.

If you were really anal retentive you would have pressed her for an exact number including decimals if necessary.

Love how this one keeps coming up. The 3% thing is not about logic...it's not about whether people can do the math. It's much more about the emotional and psychological factors at work in commercial transactions. Just looking at the posts here (and every other time this comes up), many give these sales threads a pass, simply because of the naked 3% issue. If that's not enough incentive for a seller to do a better job hiding their costs, they're gonna miss sales and not know why.

Love how this one keeps coming up. The 3% thing is not about logic...it's not about whether people can do the math. It's much more about the emotional and psychological factors at work in commercial transactions. Just looking at the posts here (and every other time this comes up), many give these sales threads a pass, simply because of the naked 3% issue. If that's not enough incentive for a seller to do a better job hiding their costs, they're gonna miss sales and not know why.

I agree, its about keeping the terms of transactions as simple and straightforward as possible. I am asking x and you can pay me with y.

It's just plain stupid. It's like saying " Pay me instantly, and it's gonna cost ya an extra 3%." :facepalm:

I don't charge extra for people using paypal.

However, I do charge a flat 5% to guarantee that I don't fart into the shipping box before I seal it up.

The fee is entirely optional, but it's highly recommended.