• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I would imagine we would have the same problem as in the PIF thread with the 50 post requirement. If someone has bad intentions they will meet that minimum post count within a day or two if needed.

I would imagine we would have the same problem as in the PIF thread with the 50 post requirement. If someone has bad intentions they will meet that minimum post count within a day or two if needed.

Yeah but then we would see their random nonsense all over the boards and that should throw up a red flag to everyone...as long as they are paying attention. There are a lot of people who I see in the sales thread but never anywhere else so they might not notice someone jacking up their thread count.

Yeah but then we would see their random nonsense all over the boards and that should throw up a red flag to everyone...as long as they are paying attention. There are a lot of people who I see in the sales thread but never anywhere else so they might not notice someone jacking up their thread count.

Exactly, that's what I was thinking. You could make it higher, but 100 is enough to know if someone is fluffing it or actually interested in the community.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

Wow, you guys are mean. I like comics, but don't really have time to talk on message boards, by the time I read a thread or catch up, time for me to get back to work, so don't really post.

So far most of my posts are :takeit: haven't really had any problems yet. Though personally, I am weary to buy anything from a new member.

Spam will always be around, but has there been talk about using third parties in situations with new member and bigger value books? Just a group of people that the community has faith in to handle bigger transactions? There would be additional costs in having to ship twice and time, but helps alleviate some of the threats to buyers from new sellers and gives new sellers a route to attempt to start selling.

Wow, you guys are mean. I like comics, but don't really have time to talk on message boards, by the time I read a thread or catch up, time for me to get back to work, so don't really post.

So far most of my posts are :takeit: haven't really had any problems yet. Though personally, I am weary to buy anything from a new member.

Spam will always be around, but has there been talk about using third parties in situations with new member and bigger value books? Just a group of people that the community has faith in to handle bigger transactions? There would be additional costs in having to ship twice and time, but helps alleviate some of the threats to buyers from new sellers and gives new sellers a route to attempt to start selling.

You mean like using a personal courier? How much do those run?

I had a friend who used one to track down most of the actors from Pulp Fiction and Tarantino to sign a poster. I believe it cost him quite a bit but he's a huge Pulp Fiction. Transporting comics from one person to another has got to be cheaper than that but probably still pretty expensive.

No, but someone who has been a member of the community for awhile, is trusted by mist people here and that doesn't mind receiving a comic book, telling the buyer it is as described and then after seller receives payment shipping to the buyer.

A couple of the Magic the gathering communities have people that have volunteered to do this. If they accept to act as a third party, they ask for compensation, usually a few books or some cards worth a few bucks for time spent. Some of them are also used to help verify authenticity of cards that tend to be counterfeited.

The whole transaction is still completed by USPS or whatever, just involves an extra week and shipping the same twice.

No, but someone who has been a member of the community for awhile, is trusted by mist people here and that doesn't mind receiving a comic book, telling the buyer it is as described and then after seller receives payment shipping to the buyer.

A couple of the Magic the gathering communities have people that have volunteered to do this. If they accept to act as a third party, they ask for compensation, usually a few books or some cards worth a few bucks for time spent. Some of them are also used to help verify authenticity of cards that tend to be counterfeited.

The whole transaction is still completed by USPS or whatever, just involves an extra week and shipping the same twice.

The kind of escrow you're talking about might be a good idea for very high value books, but realistically nobody is going to buy one of those from a completely unknown member anyway.

For lower values, some combination of boardies vouching for each other, Paypal protection and use of common sense usually works OK. There have been some instances of boardies being actually scammed and losing money without any resolution, but given the number of sales that take place on the boards, both publically and via PM, those are few and far between.

You could make it higher, but 100 is enough to know if someone is fluffing it or actually interested in the community.

Not even close. There have been plenty of instances of people with many more posts than that being "bad".

The number of posts thing will never work. There was one guy who spammed/post padded his own test thread and quickly got to 5,000 posts.

A time limit might work. You need to be registered on the boards for six months before you can sell.

Yes, I know this has about as much chance of happening and the moon falling on my house.

There are very few scams successfully pulled off here. The primary problem with brand new members who come in with obvious scam attempts is that they take up some virtual real estate in the marketplace and provide a few hours of entertainment for those paying attention.

The minumum post count threshold for buying/selling has been discussed ad nauseum in the past and the statistics simply do not support the perception that scammers are limited to mostly new members. There are plenty of longtime members who suddenly find themselves on the probation list, just as there are plenty of longtime members with very low post counts who are perfectly trustworthy buyers and sellers.

There are very few scams successfully pulled off here. The primary problem with brand new members who come in with obvious scam attempts is that they take up some virtual real estate in the marketplace and provide a few hours of entertainment for those paying attention.

The other problem is trigger happy newbie AND veteran buyers who can't lay off a comic because....cool books rule all

The other problem is trigger happy newbie AND veteran buyers who can't lay off a comic because....cool books rule all

That reminds me: I need to hit my LCS' and check their quarter bins for Captain America 6s.

You mean, like people who signed up less than 3 months ago? :ohnoez:

You mean, like people who signed up less than 3 months ago? :ohnoez:

I don't understand why it would make him tired. hm

New guy here.

Can anyone tell me why my Selling Thread was locked before I sold my book?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7593743#Post7593743

My book is still for sale! Just looking for an explanation.

If anything, the thread is humorous :screwy:

probably got confusing with the bad buyer involved. I suggest you wait a day or two and relist. And/or nominate that guy for the probation list/hall of shame.

Probably because it turned into a giant harassment of your supposed buyer.

We were all just making comments and treating like a normal thread causing it to get constantly bumped to the top of the forum which wasn't fair to the others who want to sell stuff and be "at the top".

It will probably be unlocked after a while, just let the conversation die down. In the meantime, you'll have to conduct business in PMs only.

Can anyone tell me why my Selling Thread was locked before I sold my book?

It became a

index.FS2.jpg

more than a sales thread. And you should nominate that guy to the Probation List ( :gossip: even though I doubt we'll never hear from him ever again). He threw out the Take it. That book is sold and his at your listed price. 2c

In the meantime, you'll have to conduct business in PMs only.

No he doesn't. He can start an entirely new thread and if/when the other thread gets unlocked he can close it down and direct people to the new proper thread.