• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Yep, my annoyance comes from the guy who is 3rd or 4th with posting the :takeit: but asks for the best copy. Just wondering if anyone honours that type of request.

:pullhair:

Here's the logic.

Doesnt EVERYONE want the best copy?

So asking for best copy is pointless. ESPECIALLY if you're the 4th person to claim a book.

I just don't get the whole mystery box thing. If you want to get rid of your junk cheaply, there are other ways to do it.

Mystery boxes properly run are probably okay. However, the potential for abuse is there but that same potential exists for any sales thread.

I think there are other ways to do it, just not other ways that dont involve more work.

Yep, my annoyance comes from the guy who is 3rd or 4th with posting the :takeit: but asks for the best copy. Just wondering if anyone honours that type of request.

Here's the logic.

So asking for best copy is pointless. ESPECIALLY if you're the 4th person to claim a book.

I did this recently. I thought I was the first person to take the books but as I typed the :takeit: someone took a set before me

I would have gone back and edited my post but was too lazy

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

Hector and I appreciate it.

I have never dealt with a situation like this before so I am trying to solve it as amicably as possible.

I don't think Hector has either.

I don't care about the 6.5 or the 7.0 ( I did not handle them in anything less than a delicate fashion. If I did the 181 would not be an 8.5)

It was the resto that made me contact Hector.

Hustruck and I have come to an agreement - thank you everyone for your input.

I have never dealt with a situation like this before so I am trying to solve it as amicably as possible.

I don't care about the 6.5 or the 7.0 ( I did not handle them in anything less than a delicate fashion. If I did the 181 would not be an 8.5)

Your a good guy who went out of his way to make his customer happy.

Just wanted to say that publicly :)

YOU ARE SELLING MULTIPLE COPIES OF THE SAME BOOK WITHOUT DIFFERENTIATING THEM FROM EACH OTHER.

1ST POST POSTS :takeit:

2ND GUY POSTS :takeit: YOUR BEST COPY PLEASE

WHO GETS THE BEST COPY? :popcorn:

explain why if you want...

What if all copies you have are identical?

-slym

YOU ARE SELLING MULTIPLE COPIES OF THE SAME BOOK WITHOUT DIFFERENTIATING THEM FROM EACH OTHER.

-slym

not possible with all the nitpickers around here!

(joking!)

Here's the logic.

I haven't run into having multiples that I wasn't selling together but even then I've always labeled them as A, B so people can see what they're getting. I imagine that if I had multiples and was selling them individually I'd probably just figure the first person wanted the best looking copy and go from there as they sold. If I was selling 4 copies of the same book all labeled as NM+ there really shouldn't be a whole lot of room between them. I realize that is an assumption on my part (that even though they didn't specifically request the best copy that they would indeed like the best copy) but I have to imagine it's a pretty safe one.

-slym

no-hell-no.gif

The problem starts and ends with this

Break them out individually. Label them A, B, C, or whatever. Put a grade on each. Stop being a lazy seller.

+1

-slym

no-hell-no.gif

I say the seller can fill the order however they like. If the comic you send is the grade you described, no one will know the difference. I doubt the buyers are going to get together and compare. Its not worth the extra angst. You sold a comic at a given grade. If it gets to the buyer and is the described grade, everyone should be happy.

-slym

Possible I suppose but not likely.

Still, why not break them out with their own individual scans and let the buyers pick the one they want?

Yeah, I know it's more work but had that been done, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Your a good guy who went out of his way to make his customer happy.

Just wanted to say that publicly :)

:applause:

This was talked about until the horse was a puddle in CG about 3 weeks ago with sellers using 1 photo and having 5 available. Several big time modern players said there is no difference in 1 9.8 vs another 9.8 and said deal with it they don't have time to do the extra leg work. (more in regards to eBay than the boards but alas same situation).

What do people think of this litmus test:

Mystery box vs raffle

A mystery box sales thread has the following conditions; a seller is able to "get rid of bulk" whe the buyers all get good deals. Typical example is with trade paperbacks. A seller may "bulk" the trades worth say $100 and rather than go thru the trouble of listing each book individually, sell them in lots at a lower total cost, say $50 "mystery boxes." The seller saves time not listing every book, they get the benefit of getting more books sold, and the buyers get a deal in getting more for their money (while sacrificing knowing exactly what they are getting.

A raffle typically has the following conditions; sales occur in the buyers hopes of getting a prize that far exceeds the cost of entry. Sellers are able to offer these "grand prizes" by having the remaining participants receive prizes of value that are less than the cost of entry. When there are winners and losers, you are running a raffle.

can we get some sort of abbreviated version of this definition added to the #14 rule about no raffles? I think people just slap the "Mystery Box" label on their raffle and think they are fine.

To qualify as a mystery box, all boxes must be equal or grater in value then the asking price? (shrug)

A buyer would hope so, and that is the assumption. Otherwise, they should really be called 'gamble boxes' and it clearly states some may be worth less than others.

To qualify as a mystery box, all boxes must be equal or grater in value then the asking price? (shrug)

That would be nice, because there was a recent mystery box sale where they were anything but equal or greater.

That would be nice, because there was a recent mystery box sale where they were anything but equal or greater.

^^

This was talked about until the horse was a puddle in CG about 3 weeks ago with sellers using 1 photo and having 5 available. Several big time modern players said there is no difference in 1 9.8 vs another 9.8 and said deal with it they don't have time to do the extra leg work. (more in regards to eBay than the boards but alas same situation).

certainly people who care that much don't have to buy from this particular seller, or can offer a premium for the seller's time.