• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Ok, since I haven't been here selling in awhile and my shipping bothered people..What should I be charging for raw shipping in a box? People complained about media mail, so thats out..Slabs are all priority medium boxed..Not sure on the raws though, to try and keep the shipping costs down..first class? Those slab mailers are awful, raws are taped to cardboard, then bubbled, then boxed..Just so expensive for a single raw etc. But willing to try another way if it makes people feel better than media mail..Any help is appreciated..

Does anyone know anyone here from canada who sells stuff regularly either here or on ebay that wouldn't mind answering a few questions via pm ?..

See that guy with the wave Bragnet lol Branget can help you out.

Ok, since I haven't been here selling in awhile and my shipping bothered people..What should I be charging for raw shipping in a box? People complained about media mail, so thats out..Slabs are all priority medium boxed..Not sure on the raws though, to try and keep the shipping costs down..first class? Those slab mailers are awful, raws are taped to cardboard, then bubbled, then boxed..Just so expensive for a single raw etc. But willing to try another way if it makes people feel better than media mail..Any help is appreciated..

I would use the 1095/1092 boxes for slabs. Their cost is comparable to a medium flat rate and protects the books better.

These work great with raws and bubble wrap: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-9851/Literature-Mailers/11-1-8-x-8-3-4-x-1-1-4-White-Literature-Mailers

Depending on weight, you can usually get a 1lb (maybe 2lb depending on zone) Priority Mail small box (#1092) sent for $8-$9. To keep your weight under 1-2lbs, you need to use bubble wrap and/or foam core (not cardboard and newspaper).

Anything over 2lb you get very close to just using a Medium Flat rate for $11.30 (or something like that).

Depending on which method I am using dicatates the packing materials I use. I keep bubble wrap and foamcore on-hand for light weight shipping, and I have other stuff for when I use flat rate or media mail.

In all honesty, I prefer Flat Rate padded envelopes. I cut up Medium Flat rate boxes and use as filler (usually 4-6 sheets stuffed tight in the envelope), and that flat rate envelope is 3X sturdier than any box and it's only $5.95 to ship.

2c

Depending on weight, you can usually get a 1lb (maybe 2lb depending on zone) Priority Mail small box (#1092) sent for $8-$9. To keep your weight under 1-2lbs, you need to use bubble wrap and/or foam core (not cardboard and newspaper).

Anything over 2lb you get very close to just using a Medium Flat rate for $11.30 (or something like that).

Depending on which method I am using dicatates the packing materials I use. I keep bubble wrap and foamcore on-hand for light weight shipping, and I have other stuff for when I use flat rate or media mail.

In all honesty, I prefer Flat Rate padded envelopes. I cut up Medium Flat rate boxes and use as filler (usually 4-6 sheets stuffed tight in the envelope), and that flat rate envelope is 3X sturdier than any box and it's only $5.95 to ship.

2c

1lb priority costs me anywhere from 5.35 to 7+ depending on where the buyer is at

He necro'd a thread, saw it for a higher price on ebay, THEN posted an "I'll take it" in the thread after he was told he was going to hold on to it, THEN proceeded nominate for the PL, when he could have shrugged it off pretty easily as a miscommunication instead of a negotiating tactic. Seller was probably more 'wrong', but buyer was more spoon-ish in this case.

So let me get this straight, this dickwad buyer actually got ocean on the PL for his own stupid behavior?

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

But did this actually get ocean put on the PL? If so, then the PL is officially a joke in my book.

I assumed ocean got put there for his cross-listing practices.

I hear you. Maybe it was for lying and telling Jawn that he was going to keep it, while simultaneously listing it on Ebay. lol

A little research goes a long way.

I should have known when Colombia Comics tried offering me $100 a few days before JWAN even PMED me that something was wrong with the price. It wasn't until I looked on his website and ebay and saw what he was getting for them that I knew it was priced too low. I told him no thanks before I even looked on CC website. Take my words however you want. To some people it's "bartering" to others it's not

I wasn't trying to barter with him. If I was I wasn't have said this 23wso3o.jpg I was trying to be polite and not be a total . Guess i'll be the when I don't want to sell something for nothing. This whole discussion wouldn't even be happing if I had taken the book down or closed the thread. that's why I brought up the time limit on threads. People have wanted me on the list for a long time so it's a no brainer. It's funny people i've bought books from and sold book to with not a single issue are the ones that want me on the list the most :whee:

2c

1lb priority costs me anywhere from 5.35 to 7+ depending on where the buyer is at

Yeah - location is definitely key. I'm in Montana, so it almost always costs $8 for box shipping. :(

He necro'd a thread, saw it for a higher price on ebay, THEN posted an "I'll take it" in the thread after he was told he was going to hold on to it, THEN proceeded nominate for the PL, when he could have shrugged it off pretty easily as a miscommunication instead of a negotiating tactic. Seller was probably more 'wrong', but buyer was more spoon-ish in this case.

So let me get this straight, this dickwad buyer actually got ocean on the PL for his own stupid behavior?

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

But did this actually get ocean put on the PL? If so, then the PL is officially a joke in my book.

I hear you. Maybe it was for lying and telling Jawn that he was going to keep it, while simultaneously listing it on Ebay. lol

This whole discussion wouldn't even be happing if I had taken the book down or closed the thread.

^^

So why didn't you? I am just curious and not being accusatory because obviously a lot of people never close threads for some reason. The thread was still pretty recent and you had offers from two people and realized it may be worth more than your asking price so why not close it down? You obviously had time and were on the site multiple times before it was claimed.

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

A little research goes a long way.

I should have known when *someone* tried offering me $100 a few days before JWAN even PMED me that something was wrong with the price. It wasn't until I looked on his website and ebay and saw what he was getting for them that I knew it was priced too low. I told him no thanks before I even looked on CC website. Take my words however you want. To some people it's "bartering" to others it's not

I wasn't trying to barter with him. If I was I wasn't have said this 23wso3o.jpg I was trying to be polite and not be a total . Guess i'll be the when I don't want to sell something for nothing. This whole discussion wouldn't even be happing if I had taken the book down or closed the thread. that's why I brought up the time limit on threads. People have wanted me on the list for a long time so it's a no brainer. It's funny people i've bought books from and sold book to with not a single issue are the ones that want me on the list the most :whee:

Couple of tips 1) I wouldn't name who made you an offer. It is impolite, that should be kept discrete and as such I edited it out of my post, you should edit yours to do the same. 2) Ok if in the future you want to be polite but say no, the way you can do that is by saying the following: "Thank you so much for the offer. Unfortunately the book is no longer for sale, but thank you for your inquiry! All the best." To me, and to many seasoned buyers, anything other than a "the book is not for sale" is really just a solicitation for a higher number.

I STILL am ??? why he doesn't just take the high road and write Jawn and see if there is anything he can do to make Jawn satisfied and get off of the list.

Instead of deflection, why not start there? (shrug)

I STILL am ??? why he doesn't just take the high road and write Jawn and see if there is anything he can do to make Jawn satisfied and get off of the list.

\

The more he posts, the more you can see why this incident took place. That is why I think past actions and attitudes are relevant because it shows a pattern.

I don't want to speak for him, but quite honestly, if I truly felt I was right on a subject and had people adding me to a "bad guys" list for something I feel wasn't deserved I'd probably be telling people to kick rocks too. And he is FAR from the only person on these boards that would take that stance.

Ok, "bad guys" list aside - the deal didn't go down so well, right? He came across looking like an or at LEAST someone you might not want to do business with in the future. I mean, even if he felt he wasn't in the wrong and shouldn't be on the list - it still appeared to most that even IF he didn't deserve to be on the Probation List, he could have still handled the situation better. So why is his pride or self-validation more important than his reputation? (shrug)

Ok, "bad guys" list aside - the deal didn't go down so well, right? He came across looking like an or at LEAST someone you might not want to do business with in the future. I mean, even if he felt he wasn't in the wrong and shouldn't be on the list - it still appeared to most that even IF he didn't deserve to be on the Probation List, he could have still handled the situation better. So why is his pride or self-validation more important than his reputation? (shrug)

:screwy: this board is full of people like that

:screwy: this board is full of people like that

Exactly! And not just on these boards but in general. A lot of people are bull headed and won't admit they are wrong; even the best of us can be guilty of it.

I don't want to speak for him, but quite honestly, if I truly felt I was right on a subject and had people adding me to a "bad guys" list for something I feel wasn't deserved I'd probably be telling people to kick rocks too.

Same here, and I cannot believe people are not only giving jawn a free ride, but supporting his bid to put someone on the PL. I can't even imagine doing something like vindictively putting a BIN after those PMs and then following it up with a PL nom? :facepalm:

IMO, they're both major spoons and if ocean is on the PL, then jawn should join him ASAP.