• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Surely with all of this disclosure at Chip's expense we'll learn who did the "pointing" shortly.

:whistle:

Another boardie ____________ pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

Since you mentioned "TGT butthurt" and that one or more have judged Chip and Chip's offers harshly ( :hi: ) I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you believe it was me that went digging or pointed out the eBay/PGM books.

I'll save the suspense - :sorry: - wasn't me that did any digging. :angel:

In the Giving Tree thread, Chip Cataldo posted a Strange Tales #115 that he graded 4.0. Another boardie pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

So I did a little bit of digging. Huge grade bumps from PGM to eBay and there are a LOT of examples. Here are some:

PGM: DD 7 3.5 and he said "that's about what I had it pegged at". --------------------- ebay 5.0

PGM: Avengers 55 5.5/6.0 ------------------- ebay 7.5

PGM: Captain Marvel 1 4.0 ------------------ ebay 5.0

PGM: Captain Marvel 26 8.5 --------------- ebay 9.2

PGM: Iron Man 30 6.0 ------------------- ebay 8.0

PGM: Iron Man 76 8.0 ------------------- ebay 9.2

PGM: TOS 31 4.5 ----------------- ebay 6.0

PGM: FF 74 4.5 ------------------ ebay 7.0

PGM: ASM 33 4.5 ------------------- ebay 6.0

Look at any of his other PGM and you'll almost certainly see a hefty grade bump when placed on ebay.

To me, it looks like purposefully overgrading for a higher wining bid. What makes it worse is that's he advertises directly through this site.

I had a thought that maybe the grade disparity was due to undergrading in the PGM sub-forum. Not so. Why list the ST115 here as a 4.0 and on ebay as a 5.5? Or the DD 7, where he agrees with the 3.5 average but posts it on ebay as a 5.0? It reeks of serial overgrading.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's a marketplace issue truthfully, outing him as knowingly overstating grades on e-bay doesn't look good at all ...I don't think there's anything actionable other than sharing what you found to warn others.

You did that & Chip obviously is doing some things wrong, his only defense is that he starts his auctions at a low price. On e-bay grade/price go hand in hand, I usually ignore what a seller quotes & look at scans anyways. That still doesn't make him right.

I personally think this is just TGT butthurt carrying over to here. There seems to have been a pattern of judging Chip and Chip's offers harshly, one or more people over there have been continuing to take a keen interest in his participation in that thread since the beginning.

I'm sure people are busy cleaning up their e-bay history, post history, squaring up charitable history, photobuckets, facebooks, etc...so that they can come over to participate The Giving Tree thread, give away a book (as per PGM results) only to have it get researched enough to blow up in their faces like this has for Chip.

Surely with all of this disclosure at Chip's expense we'll learn who did the "pointing" shortly.

Another boardie ____________ pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

I'm not sure what's going on in the Giving Tree thread. Perhaps someone does have an axe to grind but it doesn't matter.

What counts is that he's grading higher on ebay than here and he's promoting his auctions here. It's dishonest and unethical and judging by the number of auctions it's systemic and premeditated.

This really is disturbing if it is true. The grade is the grade, no matter which venue it is placed.

To purposely prey on less informed customers via Ebay by bumping the grade is just plain wrong.

I hope this can be explained - a good reputation is so hard to get but so easy to lose.

This really is disturbing if it is true. The grade is the grade, no matter which venue it is placed.

To purposely prey on less informed customers via Ebay by bumping the grade is just plain wrong.

I hope this can be explained - a good reputation is so hard to get but so easy to lose.

+1

Since you mentioned "TGT butthurt" and that one or more have judged Chip and Chip's offers harshly ( :hi: ) I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you believe it was me that went digging or pointed out the eBay/PGM books.

I'll save the suspense - :sorry: - wasn't me that did any digging. :angel:

Good, I'm glad you weren't involved.

:luhv:

kudos for "out on a limb" reference :golfclap:

+1

+2

I've purchased from Chip both here and off of Ebay and was always satisfied.

One does need to note that all Chip's Ebay auctions have a generous 14 day return policy. Plenty of time to agree or disagree with the grade.

Regardless of assumptions of who can grade a book through a "computer scan" here or "in hand" there... I don't think Chip is the kind of guy that's out to "screw" someone.

xxx ooo

Rupp

I purchased a raw Marvel Premiere #1 from Chip on eBay a while back and the grade was as advertised.

So does this negate the fact that in 24 out of 28 PGM threads he then bumped up the grade on Ebay or simply mitigate it?

With over 3,400 sales to have 5 negatives is not an issue to me as you can't please everyone. The situation seems to be why ask the opinions of the board to then grade bump when selling elsewhere? It opens him up to being accused of taking advantage of less knowledgeable collectors.

I purchased a raw Marvel Premiere #1 from Chip on eBay a while back and the grade was as advertised.

So does this negate the fact that in 24 out of 28 PGM threads he then bumped up the grade on Ebay or simply mitigate it?

With over 3,400 sales to have 5 negatives is not an issue to me as you can't please everyone. The situation seems to be why ask the opinions of the board to then grade bump when selling elsewhere? It opens him up to being accused of taking advantage of less knowledgeable collectors.

I didn't say it negated anything, so don't put words in my mouth. I simply related my experience from the one purchase I've made from him. Take from that what you will.

Ask Symbiotic and GIjoeisawsome and pretty much everyone else on the HoS. Sadly there are two types of people here. People who are members of the community and people who see a place to sell comics without the 10% fee.

I didn't say it negated anything, so don't put words in my mouth. I simply related my experience from the one purchase I've made from him. Take from that what you will.

I didn't say that, I asked if you felt your experience negated or mitigated what others say he did.