• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8233053#Post8233053

In what universe are the Peter in Portugal posts not threadcrapping?

It is a delicate point, but insofar as the OP introduced GPA data it does open the door. Speaking for myself, I would have sent him a PM instead of posting in the thread. 2c

I don't believe it to be threadcrapping. Roy made the statement that GPA was on the rise, based on the information he had. Peter posted a comment that contradicted Roy and Roy took it in stride. There does not appear to be any issue and besides the book sold.

I don't believe it to be threadcrapping. Roy made the statement that GPA was on the rise, based on the information he had. Peter posted a comment that contradicted Roy and Roy took it in stride. There does not appear to be any issue and besides the book sold.

Correct.

We also would have accepted:

Pre-Unity Valiant or Earth 1 (Pre-Crisis)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8233053#Post8233053

In what universe are the Peter in Portugal posts not threadcrapping?

It is a delicate point, but insofar as the OP introduced GPA data it does open the door. Speaking for myself, I would have sent him a PM instead of posting in the thread. 2c

I agree with Robert – I think Peter did not mean to "threadcrap", he stated GPA wasn’t updated, but would have been better done so via PM. (thumbs u

I feel if you are going to sell a book here, just post a price and grade, scans etc. basic stuff. When a seller begins to point out high sales and not all sales, then it's an invite for the added info (threadkraping).

Not in this case, as from Peter’s comment it was GPA data not being updated.

I feel if you are going to sell a book here, just post a price and grade, scans etc. basic stuff. When a seller begins to point out high sales and not all sales, then it's an invite for the added info (threadkraping).

If a seller can say a book sold here for 1000 and there for 1100, it's wrong for some one to chime in with accurate sales info about a sale for 700 somewhere?

If a seller can say a book sold here for 1000 and there for 1100, it's wrong for some one to chime in with accurate sales info about a sale for 700 somewhere?

That is not what you said. You impied Roy was "pointing out high sales", while he was just reporting GPA data, and Peter simply pointed out GPA data was not accurate.

From my point of view, I have no idea what his intentions were but this was the second time he came into a sales thread of mine in the past year and did something I personally wouldn't have done. I think some time in the past year he posted in a thread of mine something along the lines of "You should have sold that book to me when you had my offer on the table." Honestly, what is the point of doing something like that in an active sales thread?

Peter posted a comment that contradicted Roy and Roy took it in stride.

I didn't have a choice, did I? meh

I evaluate Comiclink data and other dealer sites if there isn't a very reliable stream of data on GPA but the whole reason I subscribe to GPA is so that I can keep track of sales prices without having to check anywhere else. It's their job to make this data easy to process. And after looking at GPA I thought this book was reasonably accurately represented by GPA data.

And to be fair, when I set a sales price I try to take into account trends in either direction and for that reason, if I can help it I don't just use one single data point. I actually check data for surrounding grades as well and since the price (based on averages, not just single points) for 6.5, 7.0 and 7.5 seemed to be on a clear upswing I thought GPA was fair to use. And I used ALL the GPA data going back to 2012.

I assumed recent movie attention was responsible for the price increase as the DC shows and movies built momentum in the last few weeks.

The real question to me is if GPA is reasonably well populated and fully disclosed, where do you draw that line at spectators introducing price awareness?

And if they are allowed to do so, how is that any different than someone walking into as store and shouting out "hey, you can get that cheaper down the street" in the store to potential customers?

Roy, you provided plenty of information. It is not your responsibility to scour past sales, it's the buyer's prerogative. It's only when someone selects a single data point and passes that off as gospel, that I have an issue. Even then, I do my own research, but it makes me shake my head when I see the serial, carnival barking, selective GPA offenders hawk their wares.

Thus making it incomplete.

Relative to everything, GPA is always going to be incomplete. So now having said that, where do you draw the line?

If I know that a copy of Brand X # 1 CGC 9.7sold for a percentage of GPA at a dealer's website or another auction house,and I have a copy for sale should that be included?

I head an big Marvel key sold this morning really, really cheap. Should that be included when someone is selling the same key on here?

Where do you draw the line?

If you are quoting GPA and saying that prices are going up then yes you should include it, since you know that they are not ALL going up, as you know of the percentage sale.

Personally, had you just thrown up GPA data and a price I would have considered Peter's post threadkrapping. But the inclusion of the statement that prices keep going up, then yea I consider Peter's thread more of a disprovement of that point.

Just my 2c

Agreed GPA is a Guide I prefer not to add it to sales. Buyers should do due diligence when buying a book of that caliber. However, Peter "Pointing out that Clink had sales Cheaper than GPA" wasn't a great move but Roy introduced GPA. I don't like it but I consider it a fine line as it pertains to Threadcrapping.