• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

You got me again! What do I know. ;)

But I wouldn't consider that threadkrapping in RickyBobby's thread either. (shrug)

Didn't "get" you at all (shrug) Your opinion is consistent & that's fine.

I actually appreciated the link because a quick reread showed me a clear inconsistency OR whatever happened in that dumb thread changed his views on what he could/should share in sales threads.

Edited by bababooey

I thought GPA didn't record Heritage sales data?

GPA scrapes Heritage and eBay and also other sites like Comic Connect (selective) and also takes data from dealers who submit (like Greg Reece, NewForceComics and a few others).

Where else, you'll have to ask George.

GPA doesn't scrape anything - they have direct access to the eBay data through the eBay API, and receive all sales data direct from the various auction sites (Heritage, ComicConnect, Pedigree, Lone Star, etc). As you mention, they also receive sales info from a bunch of the large dealers.

The main reason they don't include Comiclink data is because Comiclink wanted it to be selective - as far as I know, that's not the case for ComicConnect.

There's a list of the sites that provide them with data on the GPA homepage:

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/

If you are quoting GPA and saying that prices are going up then yes you should include it, since you know that they are not ALL going up, as you know of the percentage sale.

Personally, had you just thrown up GPA data and a price I would have considered Peter's post threadkrapping. But the inclusion of the statement that prices keep going up, then yea I consider Peter's thread more of a disprovement of that point.

Just my 2c

2zo9enp.gif

If Roy had simply quoted GPA figures and left it at that, I'd think Peter's comment would be threadkrapping. But the addition of "the book keeps going up" opens the door for Peter's comment.

Except, I didn't say "the book keeps going up".

This is what I wrote:

I thought this book was sold but the buyer did not come through. GPA has been rising so I'm not complaining. :devil:

And as most people have commented over the past two months in the General Forum, auction prices for more common books are typically soft this time of year but even if we factor in the Clink price into the 90 day average, we get a 3 book average of $2416, and my asking price is $2450. Hardly deceitful as I was asking well under GPA 90 day average and actually the average of the Clink and GPA sales.

But it's the manner in which the information was delivered that is problematic. Where in my listing did I open the door for someone to start a debate about Clink reporting to GPA? (shrug)

GPA has been rising so I'm not complaining. :devil:

to bad comiclink didn't report their 2 recent sales to GPA then.

The only reason I can think of is PiP wanted to get his 2c in, for whatever reason.

+100

Roy said "GPA is rising", which is true.

And his asking price is totally reasonable.

We don't now the book that sold cheaper on CL, maybe it has a significant defect that make book less appealing, even if the technical grade is correct.

IMO if somebody want to make comments about another board member's sale, this should be kept in PM, unless there is something clearly unetical/fraudulent in said sale, but this is not the case in Roy's sale

Seems to me I have seen a discussion of their data sources somewhere on the site, but I don't see it on the homepage and I couldn't find it clicking through a few links. They do have two lists of sites on their home page, but they don't explicitly say -- at least not there -- that they collect data from all of those sites. (shrug)

The only two places I know for a fact they pull data automatically is Heritage and Ebay. I know that dealers self report sometimes (which is in and of itself selective) and I've been told that CC eventually sends in information but I do not believe it is automatic and may be selective. I don't believe there is any comic link data. I'm going to email george for a definitive answer.

GPA scrapes Heritage and eBay and also other sites like Comic Connect (selective) and also takes data from dealers who submit (like Greg Reece, NewForceComics and a few others).

GPA doesn't scrape anything - they have direct access to the eBay data through the eBay API, and receive all sales data direct from the various auction sites (Heritage, ComicConnect, Pedigree, Lone Star, etc). As you mention, they also receive sales info from a bunch of the large dealers.

The main reason they don't include Comiclink data is because Comiclink wanted it to be selective - as far as I know, that's not the case for ComicConnect.

Sorry about the 'scraping'. I'm not a techie.

I believe they stopped accepting Pedigree data years ago because of Doug's reputation.

I also believe they take or receive selective data from Comic Connect. That's just from a personal observation of mine seeing some sales appear and others not appear. It could very well be that those sales I was looking for were not completed though.

This really is it in a nutshell.

I wasn't some one-trick pony quoting a GPA high and asking a GPA high like often happens around here (and I constantly :eyeroll: in their general direction when it does). I quoted an established trend and then priced my book right in the middle of that trend and well below the GPA highs.

Obviously based on his posts, Peter thought it was thread krapping in RickyBobby's thread but then did a 180 and didn't think it was in mine.

So the question is, when does it become thread krapping?

Sorry about the 'scraping'. I'm not a techie.

I believe they stopped accepting Pedigree data years ago because of Doug's reputation.

I also believe they take or receive selective data from Comic Connect. That's just from a personal observation of mine seeing some sales appear and others not appear. It could very well be that those sales I was looking for were not completed though.

Pedigreecomics is still on the list and GPA shows the books for sale/auction from the site so I assume they are getting data.

George specifically told me they stopped a few years ago.

I don't know if that has changed or if those lists are people that they have advertisement agreements with or if they actually collect data from all of them.

This really is it in a nutshell.

I wasn't some one-trick pony quoting a GPA high and asking a GPA high like often happens around here (and I constantly :eyeroll: in their general direction when it does). I quoted an established trend and then priced my book right in the middle of that trend and well below the GPA highs.

Obviously based on his posts, Peter thought it was thread krapping in RickyBobby's thread but then did a 180 and didn't think it was in mine.

So the question is, when does it become thread krapping?

Your sales threads do attract the oddball comments! :D

I wish people would stop saying prices are "going up", sales are a reflection that they have gone up. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Saying they are going up is pure speculation, even if they do.

I wish people would stop saying prices are "going up", sales are a reflection that they have gone up. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Saying they are going up is pure speculation, even if they do.

What if I'm say I'm going to raise the price every 8 hrs? then prices are going up.

What if I'm say I'm going to raise the price every 8 hrs? then prices are going up.

That's great but they may not sell. We are talking bout people referencing past sales as a trend.

If a frog had wings....

:D

-slym