• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

2ls6rma.jpg

I suppose that eventualy you'll sell something I'm interesting in and I'll have to take you off ignore.

but how would you know ....

Can someone recap what we learned here today or yesterday so that future generations won't make the same mistake?

Buy your own books.

Be quick with the :takeit:

Know a good deal when you see it.

Take a good deal when you know it.

Pay immediately while you still can.

Ask the same question of the same person three times and make sure the answers you get match.

If there's a teeny tiny gap in the storyline, close it, or watch people leap through it.

Don't care about comics or money so much that you get angry or do something you probably shouldn't in the heat of passion (or commerce).

Or ...

If someone agrees to your below-FMV offer for a hot book, jump on that *spoon* immediately instead of trying to sweeten your own pot by counter-offering 55% of GPA on a different book from the same seller.

Can someone recap what we learned here today or yesterday so that future generations won't make the same mistake?

Buy your own books.

Ask the same question of the same person three times and make sure the answers you get match.

If there's a teeny tiny gap in the storyline, close it, or watch people leap through it.

Don't care about comics or money so much that you get angry or do something you probably shouldn't in the heat of passion (or commerce).

Or ...

If someone agrees to your below-FMV offer for a hot book, jump on that *spoon* immediately instead of trying to sweeten your own pot by counter-offering 55% of GPA on a different book from the same seller.

Yup. Add that one too. I really do suck. :sorry:

Buy your own books.

It's funny that you delineate exactly what Harveyswick and Junkdrawer did wrong yet you admonish Spectre.

I don't think anyone did everything right.

I think they jumped the gun, but we caused to jump by a lack of complete transparency.

Since we can't seem to rely on being told the whole story by anyone, and you can't leave it to others to make your case, it falls to protecting yourself and controlling our own actions.

2ls6rma.jpg

I suppose that eventualy you'll sell something I'm interesting in and I'll have to take you off ignore.

See? The "soft ignore" has its merits.

Buy your own books.

Or ...

Yeah.

I'm sorry Chris but in regards to your previous points, I disagree with how you portray some of them.

I agree on being transparent and honest in every dealing but in this case, there was shenanigans going on from all sides, not just one. Everyone had a stake in it and played their stake for as much as they could.

Swick was buying 'for a friend' and wasn't transparent that it was someone on ignore by John.

Conclusions were made and pitchforks were drawn before anyone had heard from the seller. Regardless of what people believe (and whether they were right or half right is irrelevant). Conclusions were drawn with only one side of the story.

Swick and JD looked a gift horse in the mouth.

As far as changing the ignore function, it happens all the time. Sometimes you forget you have someone on ignore and you rethink why you have them on ignore and it may have nothing to do with money.

It's unfair to make it seem like the seller was all at fault IMO. This was a group clusterpoop at the very best.

Buy your own books.

Or ...

That fell under

"

Take a good deal when you know it."

I should also add

"Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered"

Buy your own books.

Or ...

Yeah.

I'm sorry Chris but in regards to your previous points, I disagree with how you portray some of them.

I agree on being transparent and honest in every dealing but in this case, there was shenanigans going on from all sides, not just one. Everyone had a stake in it and played their stake for as much as they could.

Swick was buying 'for a friend' and wasn't transparent that it was someone on ignore by John.

Conclusions were made and pitchforks were drawn before anyone had heard from the seller. Regardless of what people believe (and whether they were right or half right is irrelevant). Conclusions were drawn with only one side of the story.

Swick and JD looked a gift horse in the mouth.

As far as changing the ignore function, it happens all the time. Sometimes you forget you have someone on ignore and you rethink why you have them on ignore and it may have nothing to do with money.

It's unfair to make it seem like the seller was all at fault IMO. This was a group clusterpoop at the very best.

I didn't say the seller carried all the fault.

I'm saying not being completely honest about who owned the book was the launching point for all the mistakes made by all sides subsequent.

And the "someone John had on ignore" is a non-starter argument. John dropped that ignore faster than you can say "He wants to pay how much more?" The act of contacting John for someone else did not result in John dealing with or not dealing with anyone he wouldn't have dealt with regardless.

Can you honestly say things would have turned out exactly the same way if John would have simply stated "Book is sold but I will pass your email address and your offer on to the new owner" or simply gave Greg Chris' contact info and didn't create the fiction of still owning the book?

There's an origin point in every conflict.

Can you honestly say things would have turned out exactly the same way if John would have simply stated "Book is sold but I will pass your email address and your offer on to the new owner" or simply gave Greg Chris' contact info and didn't create the fiction of still owning the book?

There's an origin point in every conflict.

That may have been the actual origin point of the disagreement between seller and buyer but the pulling out of torches early was still unacceptable. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Who knows how it would have turned out? Maybe the potential buyer wouldn't have believed the seller that he was passing on info to the new owner.

What I do I know is that

a) the pitchforks were premature (Iraq anyone?)

b) both sides were hiding something (remember, buyer approached seller without transparency 1st)

c) transparency from all sides is best in every transaction.

But I don't want to waste a day going to back and forth on the minutia.

My primary concern from the very start of this topic was the lighting of torches and pulling of pitchforks without hearing both sides of the story 1st. It's unacceptable, even if the end justifies the means. Due process and all that...

The argument can certainly be made that if an attempt wasn't made to circumvent someone's ignore rule none of this would have happened. That seems like the "launching point" for the whole mess to me.

The fact that the ignore was later removed doesn't change how the dynamics of the deal were played out from the beginning.

The argument can certainly be made that if an attempt wasn't made to circumvent someone's ignore rule none of this would have happened. That seems like the "launching point" for the whole mess to me.

The fact that the ignore was later removed doesn't change how the dynamics of the deal were played out from the beginning.

YES!!!

Seems to me that this particular point is being overplayed.

If I have someone on ignore, it's because I find them so annoying that I simply don't want to hear them speak, speak to them, or deal with them whatsoever. It's not like I have some deep seeded feeling that I must keep a book I once owned out of their hands. :D Is that really what "ignore" means to you all?

If I'm selling a book, Boardie A buys it, and after they receive it from me they hand it to Boardie B (who I have on ignore), why should I care? My purpose for ignoring Boardie B was fully served...that is, I didn't have to interact with them. (shrug)

If I have someone on ignore, it's because I find them so annoying that I simply don't want to hear them speak, speak to them, or deal with them whatsoever. It's not like I have some deep seeded feeling that I must keep a book I once owned out of their hands. :D Is that really what "ignore" means to you all?

If I'm selling a book, Boardie A buys it, and after they receive it from me they hand it to Boardie B (who I have on ignore), why should I care? My purpose for ignoring Boardie B was fully served...that is, I didn't have to interact with them. (shrug)

It's not exactly like it's an action 1 9.0 and you have no choice but to deal with the seller no matter how reprehensible you find him. Where is your dignity MAN!! It's a modern book and eventually another one will pop up and probably cheaper.

My point isn't if someone should care or not. It was about how the messiness and confusion got started because of it.

The argument is being made that if the seller was transparent about exactly what happened to the book the issue wouldn't have happened. I'm saying if the buyer was transparent about things from the beginning the whole issue wouldn't have happened.

It's not exactly like it's an action 1 9.0 and you have no choice but to deal with the seller no matter how reprehensible you find him. Where is your dignity MAN!! It's a modern book and eventually another one will pop up and probably cheaper.

This response makes no sense in the context of my comment. (shrug)