• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Roy, do you honestly think I just spoke with Spectre and then immediately posted here?

I discussed the matter with several people in PM first to get their thoughts before posting anything publicly. :makepoint:

Spectre was PMing Junkdrawer trying to consummate a sale! It was a MISTAKE. I own it. I admit it. But please, stop with the "jumping to conclusions and not talking things out in PM". I talk to many people on a daily basis in PM. I enjoy PM discussions here a million times more than public discussions. I thought I was bringing something shady to light. I got it wrong. :boo:

I've apologized to Spectre in both PM and publicly. I don't need any more lectures of how I should hash things out privately before going public. I thought I had discussed everything in PM first.

Really? With how much you pile on, you can't take a bit?

Roy, do you honestly think I just spoke with Spectre and then immediately posted here?

I discussed the matter with several people in PM first to get their thoughts before posting anything publicly. :makepoint:

Spectre was PMing Junkdrawer trying to consummate a sale! It was a MISTAKE. I own it. I admit it. But please, stop with the "jumping to conclusions and not talking things out in PM". I talk to many people on a daily basis in PM. I enjoy PM discussions here a million times more than public discussions. I thought I was bringing something shady to light. I got it wrong. :boo:

I've apologized to Spectre in both PM and publicly. I don't need any more lectures of how I should hash things out privately before going public. I thought I had discussed everything in PM first.

Imagine if you had a transaction where someone didn't believe you, they asked their friends what they should do and then everyone piled on you in a public thread while you were innocent the whole time?

Did you tell him you were going to post about it publicly? Did you tell him that it sounded fishy and you felt like you were taken for a ride?

You thought it was shady but you didn't know it was and that is where people need to be careful. Making public statements about what you 'think' when it disparages someone can backfire unless a person is sure.

I realize you apologized but I think this is a good time to make lurkers and less experienced buyers / sellers aware of how to handle a dispute properly.

The lecture isn't just for you. It's for the whomever it applies to because it happens repeatedly on here...and it's wrong to let it happen.

:whistle:

Well, then there's that.

My sincere apologies to Spectre.

I wish I would have been told that there was another potential buyer. l also wish that I hadn't been involved in this to begin with. So much for trying to help out a friend. It seemed shifty at the time when I was told the book was sold despite it being communicated at the same time to the person I was buying the book for that it was still available.

This is clearly an egg on my face moment. :boo: Feel free to pile on. :sorry:

I appreciate Harvey's apology and I accept it unconditionally. It's easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment. We've all been there.

I consider this matter closed.

take care,

John

John, you're being pretty dang mature about all this.

Very impressive but you're killing the pile on.....

Roy once sent me a PM with nudie pics.

Who wants to see that PM?

They were nudie pics of you.

Which is awesome.

They brought down my local network.

PM Sent!

Book's already sold.

meh - I have no interest in BA12 for my personal collection. However, I would like a Harley cel or the pencils from the original BAS cartoon that Harley appeared in.

Here is the entire transaction:

2qklaww.jpg

f9p7xk.jpg

I was "buying" the book for Junkdrawer. I've wanted a Harbinger #1 9.8 for awhile. He had JUST stated to me "Bat 12 is the only book in the thread I don't consider absolute junk."

He reduced the price of the BA12 by $300. I just figured I'd ASK if he would throw in a Harbinger #1 for $375 fee free as he considered them absolute junk. If he said no, no harm, no foul and I'd just :takeit: the BA12 for Chris.

That's when the BA12 was "sold". I didn't have a chance to accept it. Draw the conclusions that you will. I think the guy is all over the place and is so full of mess, he should have Roto-Rooter on speed dial.

Okay....so has anybody thought that perhaps somebody buys the BA #12 from John via a phone and text conversation amongst other books. John finds out that JD is really looking for a BA #12, and then asks what JD might wanna pay, so John can text said buyer and ask if they'd like to make a quick dollar, without any effort?

So by John actually trying to do a solid for JunkDrawer, he's vilified as a DBag. Hardly seems fair, but sometimes that's how the forum rolls.

Jim

Then it would have probably been better for John to have said that to Chris outright instead of implying that his buyer backed out of the deal and that John still owned the book....

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

You can see how being less than forthcoming and distorting events might lead people to make their own conclusions.

The "sold, not sold, sold, available again" thing is going to make people unsure as to which version of events (then or now) is accurate.

And I get that Chris, but sometimes a private deal is just that. Hence some people taking books via PM, they just like to remain anonymous and all John was trying to do was respect that. Now that Greg has "outted" himself, we can all talk about it freely. I just think John (SOT/Spectre or whatever he is today) should have been given the benefit of the doubt, as we all know he is in this for the long haul, and would have done anything to make it right. John is one of the good guys here, when it comes to buying and selling books.

Jim

I can see that.

I think in retrospect it would have been better if John would have asked Chris for his email address, passed it on to Greg and told Greg he might be able to make a quick flip if he wanted to. Boom. John's deal is done. Book is sold. He never tells anyone it's "Un-Sold". Never gives a false impression to anyone. Everyone gets their end of the deal nice and clean.

Sanctity of the deal remains intact. Greg's privacy remains intact. Greg can choose what he wants to do (keep or sell) Chris gets his information into the new owners hands and most of all John doesn't tell someone something that isn't true that winds up looking really bad to an outside observer who can only see that a book was sold then back on the market when someone dangles a premium.

In business, especially on the internet where meaning and nuance is lost in the typing instead of the speaking, it's best to be as straightforward as possible with as few machinations as can be managed.

warm-milk.jpg

warm-milk.jpg

I don't get it (shrug)

In business, especially on the internet where meaning and nuance is lost in the typing instead of the speaking, it's best to be as straightforward as possible with as few machinations as can be managed.

John was straight forward. People just didn't believe it.

And now that this has come full circle I don't believe he did nothing wrong. (shrug)

warm-milk.jpg

I don't get it (shrug)

Alot of people stirring the pot eh. lol

In business, especially on the internet where meaning and nuance is lost in the typing instead of the speaking, it's best to be as straightforward as possible

I don't believe he did nothing wrong. (shrug)

hm

John was straight forward. People just didn't believe it.

And now that this has come full circle I don't believe he did nothing wrong. (shrug)

Did you not read what Jim and I were referring to?

I'm sorry....how do these two items mesh in a straight forward manner?

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

and Greg Reece's comment about the transaction

To all,

John reached out to me and asked me to address this thread. I purchased the BA #12 (News Stand edition), along with many other books from John's thread. I have purchased many times from John over the years but as I do not frequent the boards quite as often as I used to, John gave me a call with a listing of his newest arrivals. Shortly after we agreed on the deal, John called me back to say he might have a buyer who would pay a significant premium and would I be interested in splitting any profit above and beyond what I'd just paid. I said sure, I will take a listen but if I don't hear back I will assume you did not cement a deal. As I never heard back, I mailed a check and the books are on the way to me.

Best to all,

Greg

Greg said the book was his the entire time.

John said Greg backed out voluntarily on the newsstand copy. was getting a different book and that John was still the owner and started negotiating the sale.

In what world is what John said the most straightforward and accurate depiction of events?

They are two totally different versions of who owns what and why.

Sorry, I skimmed Greg's post and didn't recognize the bolded part as differing. Gotcha.

Yeah, John should maybe have just relayed Greg's message as a middle man rather than make it sound like the book was his to offer. Fair point.

Sorry, I skimmed Greg's post and didn't recognize the bolded part as differing. Gotcha.

Yeah, John should maybe have just relayed Greg's message as a middle man rather than make it sound like the book was his to offer. Fair point.

That's all I'm saying. Just lay it out plain and no one can ever call you out for being anything but.

warm-milk.jpg

I don't get it (shrug)

Alot of people stirring the pot eh. lol

(thumbs u

One thing I will say, is that consignors don't normally volunteer when something is on consignment unless they really have to. There is some prestige and some control in representing the item as your own.

For example, I buy books from dealers that have consignments often and as a buyer you have no idea what is owned by the house and what is on consignment unless you actually ask, or push comes to shove and you want a better deal than the house can offer and then they tell you that they have to ask the consignor.

And so I can understand in the heat of the moment how interjecting a third party into the mix (like Greg) might make the deal look more complicated and less appealing to a potential buyer.

But I agree that when push comes to shove, meaning it's time to let the buyer know that the book is no longer owned by yourself, then being transparent is the best way to do it. That way no wires can get crossed and nobody gets hurt or offended.